Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #15

We don't usually stay in any one place very long but when we do I just rent a car for a couple days. When you add up the costs of what it takes to tow a car and what little it's actually used, I think it's more cost effective.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
RVBuddy, we don't have a Toad yet, that is our next project. I was talking about when we go to the desert motorcycle riding we pull our trailer with the dirt bikes(haven't done it wth this MH yet), then there is no need to go exploring(except on the dirt bikes). So far when we have gone on fairly close trips my wife has followed me in our Camry Hybrid(gets about 44 mpg) then we have a car to go exploring. On our long trip to Washington, a relative owns a car dealership so he gave us a used car to use for a week and a half, so we were able to go wherever we wanted. But yes the Toad is coming we just haven't figured out what we want so far.
I'm with Mike and Cha in that "if and when" I get my RV, I'll include the mileage of my Toyota Prius, 48-50 mpg, town and country, to increase my overall mpg. My Prius in now amenable to being towed, and towing it on a trailer seems too cumbersome. Rats.
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
RV Buddy, welcome to irv2.
After 35 years of camping never pulled a car most of the time pulled a sleeper pop-up for the kids we had.
Always rented a van or if camping in Fort WILDERNESS had all the transportation necessary.
Some people have trailers behind the MH for pulling all their toys that will move them around.
When you purchase a RV that will be something to think about as to what you may need to get around in the places you will visit.
Good luck in your adventure.
Thank you 007

We currently have a TT toy hauler from Heartland which we pull with our F250. We plan on ordering the 3921 in September of 2016 to have it for Christmas at Fort Wilderness. We will be storing the lifted custom golf cart in the garage and towing a Jeep Wrangler. Also our plans is to travel out west in go off road with the Jeep.
RVBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
We have the 2014 Canyon Star 3610, I have never had a diesel but from what I'm reading on this website the power is about the same as it takes on 6% grades with no problem and sounds like we are able to maintain the same speeds. Our Mh handles great we have no issues with steering, engine sound, trucks passing ect. I just did my first oil change myself and I spent about $45 for oil, filter and grease to lube it. Look around this site and you will see what some of the diesel owners need to do for regular maintenance, it sounds like alot more work and money. We looked at a new Newmar Ventana with everything we have, bath and a half, three tvs, fireplace, same length ect. and it was about $100,000 more than ours.

I know the diesels ride a little smoother, quieter, and the braking systems are better, but we couldn't justify the price difference as well as the fact I'm not sure I could have done all the maintenance myself. We just got back from a 2600 mile trip, had a great time, no issues, no driver fatigue ect. In 2014 they changed the body style to be more like the diesels(we were told it wouldn't change for another 7-10 years) several people thought it was a diesel pusher until they really looked at it closely. We love ours and would highly recommend it.
Mike, are you two still averaging between 8 and 10 mpg? Or did I imagine that you said that? From 8 up to 10 is a whole lot better than the 6 I hear from some, for gassers.
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjva343 View Post
Mike, are you two still averaging between 8 and 10 mpg? Or did I imagine that you said that? From 8 up to 10 is a whole lot better than the 6 I hear from some, for gassers.
I average around 8. I haven't see 10 yet.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would like to thank everyone for their valuable input on this forum I do appreciate it. I’m still in the research mode and have been leaning heavily towards the used DP motorhomes. I’m finding there are quite a few really good used ones out there at are reasonable priced (no depreciation). Many under a 100K and that’s not too bad for what I’m looking to do, which is a lot of traveling. I also understand there’s a lot to consider when buying used but still think it’s the best way to go for my needs. So any input into this arena would be great, any good, bad, or ugly things you may have heard or come across or experienced would be good to know. Thanks again
monofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #21

jjva, yes for the most part we have seen between 8-10....more on the 8 side though, the lowest we ever got was 6.5 but that was on a trip to Vegas which from our house we climb for about the first 120 miles( with a 6% grade in between) and then I get gas to top it off. And again that was only measured against about 100 miles. The MH was pretty much brand new then . When we have been on pretty level roads for over 150 miles (probably with a tailwind) is when we have gotten the 10 mpg...but we have gotten 9-9.5 alot of times when I watch my speed and no stop/go traffic ect, but overall I can pretty much depend on 8 mpg average without really watching the speed. I ususally try and cruise around 62 mph is where I get the best gas mileage. I'm also one of those guys that never lets my gas tank get down to 1/2 tank, so I'm usually getting gas about every 200-300 miles even though I don't have to.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #22

Quote:
jjva, yes for the most part we have seen between 8-10....more on the 8 side though, the lowest we ever got was 6.5 but that was on a trip to Vegas which from our house we climb for about the first 120 miles( with a 6% grade in between) and then I get gas to top it off. And again that was only measured against about 100 miles. The MH was pretty much brand new then . When we have been on pretty level roads for over 150 miles (probably with a tailwind) is when we have gotten the 10 mpg...but we have gotten 9-9.5 alot of times when I watch my speed and no stop/go traffic ect, but overall I can pretty much depend on 8 mpg average without really watching the speed. I ususally try and cruise around 62 mph is where I get the best gas mileage. I'm also one of those guys that never lets my gas tank get down to 1/2 tank, so I'm usually getting gas about every 200-300 miles even though I don't have to.
I'm impressed with 8 mpg since that's all I got with my last 2 DP's. I believe in the right road and weather conditions it will go over 9. The more I drive it, the more I like it. My speedo is 2 mph off. When it reads 65 I'm actually going 63. That would make my mileage about 1/4 mpg off Have you checked yours?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #23

Rodz, mine is off by about 1 mph based against what our Garmin shows as the speed, but when we compared the mileage from place to place it seems pretty accurate. I agree with you the more I drive it the better it get, the ride is definately better( wasn't bad to begin with) and I think the gas mileage even got a little better as it breaks in more. We are really happy with it and haven't stayed in a hotel since we bought it...
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
On my last V10, mileage did improve after break in, and as the transmission learns your driving habits. Surprisingly, I got better mileage right after every oil change using synthetic oil Mobil 1.

Here is another diesel vs. gas take, you have to view the Canyon Star you tube first to get to it.

Overview - Newmar
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote