Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

Canyon Star

We are looking at Canyon Star 3914. Any owners out there who can provide input? What do you love? Problems?

This is our first venture with Newmar so we are leaning toward used. What should we look for in our search?
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2013 Canyon Star 3940. Quality product for sure and they only seem to get better each year. We still love it and feel it is one of the best gas motorhomes on the market for the money.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Abbie

We have a 2016 CS 3914 and love it. When we began thinking about an RV we visited Indiana and toured most of the RV factories and caught Winnebago on the way back home. For gas coaches, Newmar is hands down the best built coach. We went through the whole new/used, gas/diesel debate process. Since we both still work full time we went the gas route. We did not find any used coaches that we thought we would truly be happy with (for a variety of reasons), so we ordered a new one.

As you know the floor plan 3914 is set up with a very residential feel with the large living area. The bedroom is a little tight, but you don't spend much time there. Typically as soon as we get up, we retract the bed to maximize our space to get dressed.

The 3914 is a very new floor plan - it was introduced in 2015. My understanding is that the 6 speed transmission that was introduced in 2015 is much nicer than the previous 5 speed when it comes to downshifting for going up hills.

The 3914 does not have an abundance of NCC (net carrying capacity), especially if you get it with all the options. Ours is very optioned out and I have weighed it with full tanks of fuel and water, all our normal stock of things as well as all the groceries, etc for a normal 1.5 week trip. Then I threw in some additional heavy things that we normally would not need nor carry just to see how far I could push it. With all of that, we were right at the GVWR, so I knew that normally loaded I am a few hundred pounds under the GVWR.

You may or may not know that with Newmar they have a wide range of options that you may or may not find on a used coach. You can range from pretty basic, to a really decked out unit. If you don't find what you are looking for in a used coach and consider new, be sure to download an order sheet. (there is a link on one of the sticky's on the IRV Newmar owners page. Look at all of the options and consider which you want or don't want/need. RV trader is a great resource to see photos of the various options if you are really into researching.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post here, or PM me.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the world of NEWMAR, abbie
All the links below in my signature will have links to Newmar information.
In QT's # 3 there is a section for Canyon Stars with MOD's by members and problem solving for a CS.
This link will get you to TSB's, recalls, brochures, owners guides and much more for your use.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels in your to be Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately it appears The 3914 will not be offered for 2018.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is a real shame. Every CS floor plan either has the TV over the table or where you have to sit sideways on the couch to see. They must have hired Tiffin's floor plan designer.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuallen View Post
That is a real shame. Every CS floor plan either has the TV over the table or where you have to sit sideways on the couch to see. They must have hired Tiffin's floor plan designer.
We have the 3953 and love it, just spent 3 weeks and 3700 miles and getting ready for another week away. Only thing we really miss from our 3000 sq. ft. home is the 4' X 4' tile shower and roughing it with 4 TVs, Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number King and a dishwasher is really a hardship
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

Look at the 3710, you will love the floorplan. We have the 3610 which was replaced by the 3710 which is only a few inches longer and has a king size bed. We love ours, it has the L-shaped couch, that faces the TV mounted over the fireplace, so I'm not sure what the prior poster was talking about re the TV set up. it is just as comfortable as in our home. We have the bath and a half which is a really nice thing to have. We love our Canyon Star, it is built great and has really exceeded our expectations in quality, comfort, and drive.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just purchased a used 2013 CS 3610 with 7000 miles. I absolutely love it!! I got a real good deal on it and when I called Newmar trying to learn more about it. They said this CS had the most upgrades you can get.
Deepsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #10

Great feedback everyone! We appreciate your time to help us sort through the huge amount of information on Newmar. We are convinced Newmar offers a quality product and the CS 3914 floor plan has the residential feel we like. We will keep doing our homework as you share your knowledge with us.
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We love our CS3940. There are several threads on options and updates. He are Threads when we first got our coach.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2013...ut-147330.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2013...te-156120.html
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just purchased a 2017 CS a couple months ago. We absolutely loved the living area of the 3914, nothing but awesome!

We bought a 3710 for several reasons, a little more room in the bedroom, liked having the washer dryer in the hallway, the 3710 has a fair amount more inside storage and a lot more net cargo capacity, ours is pretty much loaded with options and our ncc is over 4,100 lbs.

My only complaint and it's a little one for me, I wish the drivers seat had a little more room with the slide in. If you were 6'3" or taller that could be a big issue.

We love ours, can't go wrong with any CS.

Btw; most 2016s and all 17s have the six speed transmission, if buying now that would be a big deciding factor for me. We had another brand and this CS is far superior in every way.

Steve
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

We took delivery of our 2017 3513 CS from NIRVC Atlanta last week (ordered in February) and got home on yesterday. For all previous posted reasons we too love the CS. The 3710 and 3914 were our other choices. This being our first RV we opted shorter and after options but before our gear the labeled ccc is still 3870lbs. After we complete getting "camping ready" we'll weigh again. For a 36' coach we're very pleased with the floor plan. We've only had it a week but so far we couldn't be more pleased with the fit, finish, conveniences, and amenities of the CS. Best of luck with your search.
Harold & Becky

2017 Newmar CS3513
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
My only complaint and it's a little one for me, I wish the drivers seat had a little more room with the slide in. If you were 6'3" or taller that could be a big issue.

Steve
Steve,

You may want to take a look at this thread. I did the Mod of making the fascia on the slide behind the driver removable. It made a big difference to me.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newm...gh-315217.html
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote