RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

Canyon Star 3610 vs 2015 Bay Star Sport

Ok..........Newmar folks....I like both the Canyon Star and the new Bay star with similar layout....Yes the Canyon star has longer wheelbase, Fireplace 2 baths and washer/dryer.....but at a price diff......does anyone have any other reasons the Canyon Star would be worth the $15K difference...I've driven both and surprisingly on my short test drive they drove equally as well........Need some positive reinforcement why I should not buy the Bay Star 3401 over the Canyon Star 3610.....Thanks

Marinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brought a Canyon Star 3610 Dec 2014 and love it. It is the high end of gassers. Love the extra bath and washer/dryer also the fireplace comes in handy in real cold weather use less LP gas. Check the resale value of both units. We have used the coach over 2 months with no problems. Third coach owned and best.

2015 Canyon Star 3610
2014 CRV

Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #3

When we bought ours the Baystar was on the smaller chassis with 19.5 tires and didn't have nearly the NCC that the Canyon Star had. The only reason we even considered the Baystar was we didn't really want to go over 34' in length. After doing my research we opted for the Canyon Star 3610 for several reasons, one being we got ours on the 26,000 pound chassis and the NCC is way more than we will ever carry.

I will tell you that we are really happy we bought the Canyon Star, as the previous poster said you get a lot of upgrades in the Canyon Star that you may not necessarily have thought you needed but they are really nice to have. The floor plan is great when opened up, but also great for traveling as far as having access to the front bathroom and fridge. If you have kids you can seat belt them on the couch and they can watch TV as you travel. You get the 4door fridge which has a lot more storage for both the cold area and freezer if that is an issue for you.The TV/ Fireplace/L-shaped couch set up is great for relaxing and you feel like you are sitting at home, the fireplace also puts off enough heat to warm up the living room area without using the furnace or heat pumps. Having the two baths is a great feature we really never gave a whole lot of thought until we saw some of the bathroom facilities at some CG's. With the two bathrooms we never use the CG bathrooms or showers.The interior of the Canyon Star is also a few inches taller than the Baystar.

When you get the 26000 pound chassis, Newmar has some extras added to it in sway bars/stabilizers ect that don't come on the smaller chassis. Read the Ford Chassis MSRP sheet for the MH and you will see what I mean. IT drives great does not sway, tracks well, and does not get pushed around by the wind or big rig trucks. The Canyon Star also has a longer wheelbase which accounts for some of the better handling. There is absolutely no need for aftermarket add-ons for control or power issues. They will both get about the same gas mileage(we average 8mpg). I think if you took them both on a long interstate roads type test drive you would see some handling difference between the two. The Drivers dash area of the Canyon Star is a little nicer in my opinion with the wrap around style dash, and ease of getting to all the controls. The Canyon Star is only in year two of their style change(started with the 2014's) and from what we were told it will not change for 7 years.

As to the length we are really happy we went longer than we originally planned. Within the first two trips I was very comfortable with the size, able to back into any spot I wanted, and we haven't had any issues of being too long for any CG's. Once you get used to that additional length you will be very happy you went a little bigger, with all the addition things you get with it and the storage capacity. Remember it's always a little better to have more room than less, and even more so if you are planning long extended trips.

So far we have put over 10,000 miles on ours with having spent over 100 nights in it. We have taken two one month trips and several shorter trips. I haven't been able to use it this year yet due to having shoulder surgery. So far we have had only a few minor issues that required adjustments, and have never had to leave the MH overnight at a shop. They are both great MH's but if you are considering both I would highly recommend going with the Canyon Star 3610, the price difference will be long forgotten, but the size difference and amenities will last forever. Good luck in your decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have the 3610 as well. Handles really great in the wind! We have almost 10,000 miles on ours as well. We have had some problems - mainly with items like a heat pump, shade - nothing structural. We spent the month of January in it and found we had plenty of "space." We do not use all the storage but if needed, it is there. We have added the wood panel doors on the refrigerator. This is our third Motorhome; I think we have found one that we will use for several years now that we are retired. We did look at the Baystar but seeing this one, the money difference is well worth it. We purchased at a RV show in January when dealers are anxious to make their first sale of the year!

2017 Ventana LE 3709
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #5

You can't make a bad decision. Look at both coaches and list the differences. Do any of those differences fall into the "Gotta Have" or "Really Want" categories. The price difference is 15K. That's not that much when you are up in the price ranges you are talking. If you are paying 15K for something you don't want, that would be an issue. If given a choice, I think everyone would love a 40' King Air, but most of us find the price tag out of reach. At least it is in my case. Will you use the items that are costing you the 15K. Right now our trips are limited to 5 -7 days, so we probably wouldn't use the washer and dryer. We camp in the fall and spring, but probably wouldn't use the fireplace unless it was to set the mood As for the second bath, with just the two of us, we really don't need it. I also don't carry enough to need the extra cargo capacity. We have a Bay Star 3103 and love it. A couple problems along the way but we are very satisfied with our purchase. But, the reason we love our Bay Star, is that it fits our needs. We bought ours off North Trail's lot. it had some options that I didn't want (in-motion satellite dish, 3rd TV in the front of the coach).

The two coaches are very similar. Both will give you years of service. What do you plan to do with it. Extended stays? Then the washer/dryer may come in handy. Will you camp in cold weather? Then the fireplace may come in handy. I prefer the 2 heat pumps we have. I use the campground's electric and save my LP gas. We have camped in temps down to the upper 30's and the heat pumps did fine. I haven't heard the furnace cut on since the PDI. Do you have kids and will they be camping with you allot? Then the privacy of the 1/2 bath may be nice.

Sorry, no firm answers, but a few more questions. You really can't go wrong. If you can afford the Canyon Star and the extra options would be useful, go for it. There is no wrong choice, if you get what you want!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

All the former Canyon Star 36 series plans are now designated 37 series for 2016 models. If that means anything at all, I have no idea. There are only 37 and 39 series floor plans. The CS 3424 has been dropped, so buyers sensitive to length, will be moving to the Bay Star or another brand if they want the panache of the top of the line. Unfortunately we have had to drop our plans for a 2016 Newmar due to floor plan changes.
Some items that were options on the Bay Star are now standard but you will pay for them. Less options means less inventory to stock, fewer variations which saves labor and other costs. From what I am reading buyers seem to like less option choices in a particular floor plan, so this is a smart move for the company. Increase the price, save on costs and increase customer satisfaction.

Christine
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I would go with The CS. You'll love the extras you will get as well as extra storage and the bath you are talking about. We are very Happy with ours.

Some CS links......
2013 Canyon Star first time out

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2013...te-156120.html

Scroll down on this link.... BayStar and Canyon Star threads.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newm...-a-113631.html
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
When we considered Bay Star vs Bay Star Sport, it came down to the fact that the higher model had way more options available that we wanted. Looking at a move further up to Canyon Star, you can get these things, but not in a Bay Star:

* Washer/Dryer
* Dishwasher (!!)
* Fireplace
* Fiberglass Roof
* Sleep number mattress
* Drop-down bunk bed available in more floorplans (vs only 2 in BS now)
* Laminate plank flooring
* Driver door
* Fridge options (12CF or 19.7CF residential)

For us, I felt like we'd want many more of these things if we were spending many months a year in the coach, but for vacations and weekends, these would be overkill. Plus we wanted the shorter length.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #9

I have a 2014 Bay Star Sport that I bought new about a year ago. I am finding out that there are big differences with the Sport. Like the fresh water fill. Look at that carefully!
donnickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #10

The main reason we are keeping our Baystar is the king bed in a small (32") coach. I really don't want to go 5 ' longer just to get the same bed. Later on, when we start full time, we would probably go a little bigger, but with a Ventana. Not too thrilled with going to a diesel though. The one I drove (Ventana 3636) had lackluster performance compared to our gasser, not to mention the increased maintenance costs with one.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #11

We are very happy with our choice.The size was the main reason for the
smaller coach.I needed it to fit on the lot of our Keys home at times. We looked at the class C first,but found the price so close the rest is history.Good luck in your search.

purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote