Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #1

Canyon Star 3710

Considering ordering a Canyon Star 3710, would like opinions from current owners on options they like and dislike about this coach and floor plan. I would also like to know what vehicles you r towing with this coach. Your help and comments are appreciated!
F350ms38rssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350ms38rssa View Post
Considering ordering a Canyon Star 3710, would like opinions from current owners on options they like and dislike about this coach and floor plan. I would also like to know what vehicles you r towing with this coach. Your help and comments are appreciated!

I had a 2016, it’s a very nice MH.
Absolutely no on the “L” shaped sofa, the corner seat was a board

Fireplace was very nice

Upgrade to wood faced cabinets is very nice

No carpet in the bedroom

Fiberglass roof with added insulation

2 15k AC units

I realize that some of what I mentioned may now be standard.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
One more; polished counter tops
Old 08-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
tvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350ms38rssa View Post

As a owner of a Canyon Star 3710 I would suggest you find a low mileage 2016,2017 unit and save a ton of money, after about 1.5 years all the bugs and warranty issues have been fixed by original owner , the RV is running and operating the way it should , and now. You can enjoy it .
We tow a 2013 Honda Fit and love it , Blue ox equipment for towing and a RVI 3 brake system.
We also have there Tire Patrol system from RVI
Good luck on your purchase [emoji736]
Old 08-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
"tvp"......

Great post!

I do have a 2020 Canyon Star 3710 ordered, & will be in Napanee the week of October 14th to take delivery.
I have a Blue Ox system & RVi3 brake unit for our 2017 GMC Terrain. Am planning to order the "Tire Patrol System" for it! Does it work well, having all the info on one tablet? How do you have the tablet mounted?

"Stuart W"

Great information, as well!

I ordered the "theater seating" in lieu of the sofa, & the other things you mentioned are standard for 2020! Initially was going to get the dual recliners, but after sitting in them(not being real tall), the front cushion would barely let my feet touch the floor, & "DW's" feet were dangling!
Do you use the fireplace quite a bit? Any other ideas, etc.

F350ms38rssa :

A great inquiry post! I apologize for seemingly "hijacking" your post!
We will be towing a 2017 GMC Terrain after we pick up our new coach.
The theater seating is a nice option, or the recliners, in lieu of the sofa. All depends on your requirements. There is a sofa option that converts into "bunk beds", if you have a need for such.
And the 26,000 GVW chassis, gives it substantial "payload" capacity too. A real plus, in my opinion.
I am obviously biased in my opinion, but think the 3710 is one of the best floor plans offered on Canyon Star!
Best of luck!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Yes on fireplace, when we purchased the MH from dealer inventory it had it and I thought it was a joke, it’s fake. Let me tell you, on a chilly night the heat that it produced was amazing. It became one of my favorite features.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
tvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
As a owner of a Canyon Star 3710 I would suggest you find a low mileage 2016,2017 unit and save a ton of money, after about 1.5 years all the bugs and warranty issues have been fixed by original owner , the RV is running and operating the way it should , and now. You can enjoy it .
We tow a 2013 Honda Fit and love it , Blue ox equipment for towing and a RVI 3 brake system.
We also have there Tire Patrol system from RVI
Good luck on your purchase [emoji736]

Yes Tire Patrol does work , picked up a nail on Hyw. Alarm went off a designed, pulled over , had tire repaired , no harm , or damage , if not for Tire Patrol would have no idea that 50 feet back there ....was a problem [emoji736] . Love the fire place and 2nd bath room in the 3710 floor plan
Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Everything up front is accessible during a rest area lunch stop. We do put the bedroom slide out when overnighting at Cracker Barrel (getting too old to crawl across the bed). Ours is highly optioned. In retrospect, I would not get the outside TV, the driver's door, or the front TV. The small residential refrigerator (2 1000 watt inverters option) allows the pantry to remain - miss the ice maker but understand that is now an option. We changed the bed outlets to run off the non-refrigerator inverter and want to do the same for the slide outlets so the laptops can charge off the inverter while dry camping. Changed the 4 house batteries to golf cart (CG2) batteries for more useable capacity. We had the large straight sofa (more comfortable than the L sofa but still not great) but grandkids are in college now and 99% of the time it's just us and the cat. So took it out and replaced it with two Ekornes recliners. They fit perfectly and are sooooo comfortable. Fireplace is great - a definite keeper. The rig has the extra ceiling insulation, fiberglass roof, wood cabinet option. The GPS is just junk (thinks its a car) but maybe the new models have a better one now. Hate the cheap single lever shower faucet - too difficult to adjust. Would rather have a quality faucet or at lease a two knob unit. Get the special that has a flip out bedroom window on the drivers side for improved cross ventilation. We tow a Honda CRV (Blue Ox system) with no problems at all. Hope this helps!
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Love our 3710! We boondock most of the time and all of the tank capacities are amazing. Personally, I agree regarding the "L" w/bed sofa, I don't like it. But the wife and son do.... I think the "L" is very hard and don't like that when the bed is used it almost totally blocks the walkway. Would much prefer a regular sofa w/bed, recliners or theatre seating. Might opt for a freestanding table and chairs vice the dinette. Agree with the other "must haves" already mentioned. Make sure to order the additional insulation in the roof. If an EFI gen and/or one bigger than 7K is an option, I'd do it. Can never have too much generator. Get the additional house batteries and second inverter. "Special" a few additional outlets from the second (non-residential refrigerator) inverter for convenience if you boondock a lot. A couple in the living room and in the rear bedroom.

In 2016, the 3710 was the smallest gasser available on the 26K F53 chassis. Maximizes CCC. Handles beautifully, nowhere near maxed out on any weights.

No toad, yet. I do tow a single axle utility trailer with our golf cart. If not for the rearview camera, wouldn't know it was back there. Lots of outside storage, includes a lot of pass-thru storage space.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Both the DW and I really like that floor plan. I did email Newmar to ask if the sofa can be swapped out for either 2 recliners or theater seats and was told they can install 2 recliners in place of the sofa, I didn’t email back to confirm if the same holds true for the theater seating. Our only concern is giving up the extra sleeping space, but we can always carry a tent for visitors...
Old 08-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
Both the DW and I really like that floor plan. I did email Newmar to ask if the sofa can be swapped out for either 2 recliners or theater seats and was told they can install 2 recliners in place of the sofa, I didn’t email back to confirm if the same holds true for the theater seating. Our only concern is giving up the extra sleeping space, but we can always carry a tent for visitors...
Newmar will do the theater seating, as a "special"!
My 2020 Canyon Start 3710 will have the theater seating. That said, they are 74" wide, not 87". Newmar offered to add a small table at one end or the other; but I opted to have them centered under the window, thus leaving about a 6 1/2" clearance on each side.
DW & I both felt that the seat cushion and angle of the recliners precluded having feet flat on the floor. She's 5'4", I'm 5'9"; and was not comfortable in the recliner. Could be a great option for someone taller than the two of us!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyon star