Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

Canyon Star 3710 & 3953

I’m curious about some things from the working/functioning aspect of these two coaches. Both coaches share the same Ford 26,000 chassis and drivetrain, but where do the similarities stop.

• Miles Per Gallon: A 38’ coach (3710) is obvious shorter and lighter than a 40’ coach (3953). What would the difference be in gas mileage?
• Power: Is there a measurable power decrease in acceleration and stopping with the larger coach?
• Ride & Handling: I would expect the 3953 to ride and handle better than the 3710 because of the greater weight and wheelbase. But is it a difference measurable, can you really feel the difference?
• Thoughts on the difference in slides and what’s on them?
The 3810 have two slides:
…. On the driver’s side - couch and dinette.
…. On the passenger side master bed.
The 3953 have four slides:
…. On the driver’s side – couch and dinette & master bed
…. On the passenger side – rear slide with chest of drawers and TV & front slide with pantry, fridge and kitchen.
Is there any reason to select or pass on a two slide coach vs a four slide coach other than extra interior space?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

You're gonna get opinions on this subject. There is one camp that don't even want slides on their MH. Obviously 4 slides are going to give you more Sq. footage, than 2 slides. Only you can determine how much room you have to have. I feel it is important that you can access things like the toilet and refrigerator with the slide in.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to compare actual vehicle weights to determine stopping distance and approx gas mileage. Then you have to factor how much additional weight you are going to bring alon in the coach and weight of any vehicle you are going to tow. 4 slides as opposed to 2 are going the weigh more because of the slideout equipment. You need to get the Canyon Star brochure and start there with the weights etc.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

Hi Tetonchief, I have The brochure Etc, what I hoped for was information from folks who have each coach and know first hand. I'd not thought about how many pounds you put in the coach and that would make a difference.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

I just reread my last post and it sounded like I was telling you that you don't have one of those coaches so don't horn in! That was the furthest from my intent. Please horn in!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No problem I didn't think that at all. I don't have one of those exact coaches but my Canyon Star is 38' 11" and has 3 slides.mi full time so I got plenty of stuff. I pull a toad 4 wheels down and it usually has some extra gear including a bike rack and bike. I have a Banks system to help with the mountains. The best mpg I get is 7.5
Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Hey Don, That 7.5 ain't bad and you have the 5 speed right? I've read that the new 6 speed has really added a lot in both better shift points and mileage.

Air Force ranks are different than the Army. Is your rank First Sargent or Sargent Major in the Army? Thank you for your service, you make us proud!

PS. What's a "Banks system"?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

I have the 3610, which is basically the same set up as the 3710, just a few inches shorter. The 3710 model replaced the 3610 in 2016. Although I haven't read the specs they can't be too far off between the two. I also have the 26k chassis which was an upgrade in 2014. Ours has plenty of power, and drives great. The worst gas mileage we have had is 6.5 mpg, when driving in an area with a lot of grades. The best we have had is 10 mpg, on a long flat stretch most likely with a little tailwind. We frequently will get up to 9 mpg, but as a rule we average about 8 mpg. It is really all about how you drive them and driving in the sweet spot as far as speed. When we bought ours we test drove the 3920 and I didn't really notice much difference, but even though it was on the same roads it was a relatively short drive to see any real differences in power. But getting up to speed on the freeway did not seem any different.

As to the slides yes you will get a little more room in the MH when it is in a CG and set up. But they do add weight, and take up room when you are all buttoned up and driving. My main reason for wanting our set up as far as slides go is that I preferred to not have any slides protruding out under my awning. That is where we spend the most time sitting outside while camping, and I didn't want my grandkids banging their heads on the slides or take up the shade space.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

Hey Mike, I too like that setup with no slide under the awning. It's amazing how great minds think alike!
Old 04-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Don, That 7.5 ain't bad and you have the 5 speed right? I've read that the new 6 speed has really added a lot in both better shift points and mileage.

Air Force ranks are different than the Army. Is your rank First Sargent or Sargent Major in the Army? Thank you for your service, you make us proud!

PS. What's a "Banks system"?
E9, Sergeant Major. The Banks system is a cold air intake, exhaust system (headers etc) and a computer chip tune. Changes shift points,maids horse power and torque. I drive the mountains of CO and Wy--enables me to maintain 55mph even with the towed Scion. Previous owner installed it.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
The other thing to consider with slides is the location of the kitchen, when it is on a slide everything is much more complex. Think of what is required to allow the water, waste drain and gas lines to go in and out, as well as where the refer is located, it weighs a couple of pounds.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

I agree. I don't like the kitchen slide with the sink and refrig. I assume coach companies wouldn't put the sink and refrig there if it's a bad idea. But I don't think I'd buy a coach with that configuration. I also don't like the slide under the awning unless the awning is attached to the slide.

As for the Newmar Canyon Star floor plans the 3911 floor plan is not shown and the new 3902 model is not shown either.

For any Bay Star fans the 3708 - 3306 - 3333 - 3516 floor plans are not shown.