Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Canyon Star 3921

trying to find one at a dealer to physically see but the task is turning out to be impossible so far.... so in the meantime I am turning to you current owners to ask the question; do you love your t/h model or do you wish you would have looked/bought elsewhere??? I know there are many variables here but whatever feedback I get will depend on how hard I continue my search.... as a current travel trailer rv owner(non class a) and have been for lots of years I know the general in's and out's of ownership, but I have not a clue about class "a"s but I do know they are built by the same industry as a whole...
thanks in advance for any input shared
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Can't speak to the specifics of the Canyon Star as I have a predecessor model, Kountry Star. Perhaps we're simply fortunate, but we have had no major problems and with routine maintenance it's been trouble free. (well, except my dash AC is not functioning well at this time) In fact we've been looking at diesels because we want a larger coach, but have yet to find something in the price range we have targeted (100-125K) that we think brings enough value to get us to switch.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, meseahunt.
You can find what ever you need about the Canyon Star recalls, TSB's, brochure and owners guide in the TSB link of this thread.
You didn't say what year but the Workhorse chassis was a excellent chassis.
All the links below in my signature will have answers for what ever Newmar you may get.
Enjoy the forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Can't speak to the specifics of the Canyon Star as I have a predecessor model, Kountry Star. Perhaps we're simply fortunate, but we have had no major problems and with routine maintenance it's been trouble free. (well, except my dash AC is not functioning well at this time) In fact we've been looking at diesels because we want a larger coach, but have yet to find something in the price range we have targeted (100-125K) that we think brings enough value to get us to switch.
TexasTom your Evans Dash AC is covered in this link and a problem with the cooling portion of it maybe covered here because the control valve was installed incorrectly, some simply answers to get better cooling from your dash board vents.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #5

would be a 2018 forward
Old 06-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meseahunt View Post
trying to find one at a dealer to physically see but the task is turning out to be impossible so far.... so in the meantime I am turning to you current owners to ask the question; do you love your t/h model or do you wish you would have looked/bought elsewhere??? I know there are many variables here but whatever feedback I get will depend on how hard I continue my search.... as a current travel trailer rv owner(non class a) and have been for lots of years I know the general in's and out's of ownership, but I have not a clue about class "a"s but I do know they are built by the same industry as a whole...
thanks in advance for any input shared
Hi meseahunt,

We were looking at Newmar, Tiffin, and Entegra DPs when we came across the Canyon Star we purchased. We hadn't considered a gasser up until that time. We eventually want to full-time and might start off in our Canyon Star.

We L-O-V-E it!!

I'll be honest, it has had some issues to work out. Meaning, like all new MHs, it has had things not work, break and go completely bonkers.

Working with Newmar and National Indoor RV all has been made good.

The people at the dealer (Atlanta) have been outstanding to work with and the Newmar contact, Bruce, has been great when we have called in a panic at a campground not knowing what to do...

If you are looking for service after purchase I would recommend National Indoor RV and Newmar.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

At 18 months, still love my CS 3710. Test drove one and a Ventana, along with a Tiffin RED in Colorado at Trans West at the time I was looking. Of the 5 bids I sent out, Trans was the highest bid and the salesman wouldn't negotiate at all. He also said that if I bought from Trans, I'd could get Warranty work done there, and they wouldn't do Warranty work if I didn't purchase from them.

I regret purchasing from a dealer (not Trans West and who I won't name here) who didn't have service after Warranty expired. It took almost to the end of the Warranty period (1 year) for me to realize that I was an orphan, didn't have a relationship with a dealer/service dept. who knew Newmar's.

In the future, I would only purchase from a dealer who could service my Newmar. Until I find someone closer to Colorado or SoCal, I'll drive to the factory to have repairs done.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #8

have contacted my local NIRV but they have no plans on ordering the model I want :( have called Newmar 3x and have left a msg for a sales rep to call me back and nothing... so I am bout ready to kiss off Newmar as this relationship aint starting out well???
Old 06-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
At 18 months, still love my CS 3710. Test drove one and a Ventana, along with a Tiffin RED in Colorado at Trans West at the time I was looking. Of the 5 bids I sent out, Trans was the highest bid and the salesman wouldn't negotiate at all. He also said that if I bought from Trans, I'd could get Warranty work done there, and they wouldn't do Warranty work if I didn't purchase from them.

I regret purchasing from a dealer (not Trans West and who I won't name here) who didn't have service after Warranty expired. It took almost to the end of the Warranty period (1 year) for me to realize that I was an orphan, didn't have a relationship with a dealer/service dept. who knew Newmar's.

In the future, I would only purchase from a dealer who could service my Newmar. Until I find someone closer to Colorado or SoCal, I'll drive to the factory to have repairs done.
was/is there no aftermarket warr avail or did you just not want one? seems ok to drive to manf for warr unless its a major issue and you are stuck somewhere, then what?? i personally think the whole repair facility/warranty work at any place is a scam/joke, ANY dealer who has a service shop can perform warranty work as the parts used in this industry are universal, they just choose not to cause they don't want to deal with extra work and extra time taken up with arguing with the warr folks to get things authorized.. its BS and LAZINESS!!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
Hi meseahunt,

We were looking at Newmar, Tiffin, and Entegra DPs when we came across the Canyon Star we purchased. We hadn't considered a gasser up until that time. We eventually want to full-time and might start off in our Canyon Star.

We L-O-V-E it!!

I'll be honest, it has had some issues to work out. Meaning, like all new MHs, it has had things not work, break and go completely bonkers.

Working with Newmar and National Indoor RV all has been made good.

The people at the dealer (Atlanta) have been outstanding to work with and the Newmar contact, Bruce, has been great when we have called in a panic at a campground not knowing what to do...

If you are looking for service after purchase I would recommend National Indoor RV and Newmar.
have contacted my local NIRV but they have no plans on ordering the model I want :( have called Newmar 3x and have left a msg for a sales rep to call me back and nothing... so I am bout ready to kiss off Newmar as this relationship aint starting out well???
Old 06-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #11

meseahunt

Be patient with your search for the Canyon Star 3921. We started off with a toy hauler 22' travel trailer. Then traded up to a 30' class C toy hauler. It was great for week long trips but not for full time. Then started looking at Class A toy haulers. Looked at both the Thor Outlaw and Canyon Star 3921. The Canyon Star 3921 was our pick (better quality). After looking at a couple of new ones we came across a 2014 that was in like new condition. Have had it 2 years now and are completely satisfied with it. We purchased it from Coach Light RV in Carthage, MO. Had a great experience with the sales and service staff.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meseahunt View Post
was/is there no aftermarket warr avail or did you just not want one? seems ok to drive to manf for warr unless its a major issue and you are stuck somewhere, then what?? i personally think the whole repair facility/warranty work at any place is a scam/joke, ANY dealer who has a service shop can perform warranty work as the parts used in this industry are universal, they just choose not to cause they don't want to deal with extra work and extra time taken up with arguing with the warr folks to get things authorized.. its BS and LAZINESS!!
Didn't get an aftermarket warranty though I could have from the dealer I bought from. Lots of research before deciding not to get one. I returned from the factory a month ago with a list of ''out of warranty'' work. Newmar reminded me several times prior to arrival I was out of warranty by 8 months. I was shocked they picked up the bill and didn't charge me anything. I know future visits will be expensive but I'm OK with that.

If there's an emergency of sorts I can't handle, and can delay repairs, I'll return to the factory. I'll do what I have to do in an emergency that can't wait.

I need peace of mind and trust to turn my CS over to someone for repair. Outside of the dealer and the factory, I haven't found that company yet.

I'm in the Denver area and San Clemente area (SoCal) part of the year. Anyone know and trust someone in these areas, let me know. It's appreciated.

Thinking of checking out Freedom in Tucson at some point.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #13

San Clemente, CA Service

I, too, am in the San Clemente area about 8 months of the year. I use Rick's Trailer Supply for work on the house portion of the coach. For chassis service I use Rincon Truck Center. Both are San Clemente shops, expensive (about $140/hr) and seem to do a good job. While our coach was under warranty Rick's did some Newmar authorized repairs and a recall. If ours was a gas coach, I would probably have Rick's do it all just for the convenience.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #14

We really like our 3921. We are currently on a five week trip with our two kids and the garage is perfect for us. Like any RV I think as long as you stay ahead of the preventative maintenance and fix things before they become a big issue you will be way ahead of the game. The Caynon Star 3921 is really perfect for us in this time in our lives so we definitely don’t regret our purchase. Good luck.

Steve

Tags
canyon star