Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Canyon Star Basement Bay Doors

I just bought my 2012 CS 3856. So far everything is great. One thing I noticed (and PO told me) is the basement door over the generator compartment sounds like there is water in the insulation when you open the door. You hear a small amount of water run from bottom to top when you flip the door open. I know it is water because when I had it inspected prior to purchase this door had a registered reading on a moisture meter the inspector had. I searched page after page her in the Newmar owner forum hoping to see something about this but nothing--now I feel like I am the only one with this problem. Any ideas? How big a problem? How did the water get in there? I thought maybe it is road splash as the generator compartment is open on the bottom and right behind the rear tires. The inspector said it would only be a real problem if I took it into freezing temperatures as the backing insulation board might swell if it froze and then not go back to original size. Would holes in the insulation sides allow it to drain out? Is this insulation (it is like a board) something you can easily remove and put a new piece on? Just looking for some ideas. I am in SW FL and will be living in it over the winter here so it shouldn't be seeing any more rain for a few months and should dry out, and not planning on going north into freezing weather any time soon either. Thank you for any input.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #2

I would either try to drain it by drilling some small holes, taking it apart, or like you said let it dry out while you are living in it. Once you know there is no more water in it and it is dry, I would reseal everything (including the holes if you drilled any). If water is getting inside the actual door then something is just not sealed right.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations on your Newmar many safe travels ahead.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Below in my signature are links to many more items for your coach.
As Mike mention drill some holes in bottom of door than reseal, first time ever heard of your problem and why water would stay in door.
You may want to press the bottom of door channel and se if it compressors doors I have are not hallow maybe they now have space but insulation board was always solid foam insulation board.
Make sure lock is not loose to allow in water.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door