Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Canyon Star Drivers Seat Swivel Question

My Canyon Star 3920 drivers seat will not swivel to face the rear of the coach as shown in the typical floorplan pictures. Even with the seat slid all the way back, the seatback interferes with the steering wheel after turning the seat approximately 90 degrees to either side. Anyone else dealing with this? Any solutions?
billerbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #2

You need to put it all the way forward,and then tilt the steering wheel up. As you turn the seat you have to move the armrest up or down to get it to go all the way around. I had the same problem, but you just have to play with it a little to get it all the way around, it will do it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Can you not release your steering wheel back up with a foot pedal. I know I can not swivel my seat without the steering wheel raised to its most upward position.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #4

The steering wheel tilts through a limited range using a column mounted lever to release it. I'll try what Mike suggested . . . Mike are you saying to slide the driver seat toward the windshield before attempting to swivel it?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Mike is 100% correct with his procedure. Just takes a time or 2 and you will have it figured out.

We replaced our couch with theater seats, so we generally don't use the front seats faced to the rear except the passenger one.
Vet618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

As you turn it you need to go forward away from the windshield so the back will move past the steering wheel. You have to start the turn first, so when you actually move the seat, you are moving the back away from the windshield towards the rear of the MH. So I guess if the seat was still facing forward yes it would be like moving it all the way in towards the windshield. I usually go both ways before I get it right, as it does look like it won't work...but it does and I'm trying to remember I may also tilt the seat forward too. Sounds confusing but just move it around a little and it will make sense.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Great. Thanks. I'll give it a try just as soon as it stops snowing.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To get mine swiveled I have to move it forward and back a couple of times ... Very bad placement of the seat.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
As you turn it you need to go forward away from the windshield so the back will move past the steering wheel. You have to start the turn first, so when you actually move the seat, you are moving the back away from the windshield towards the rear of the MH. So I guess if the seat was still facing forward yes it would be like moving it all the way in towards the windshield. I usually go both ways before I get it right, as it does look like it won't work...but it does and I'm trying to remember I may also tilt the seat forward too. Sounds confusing but just move it around a little and it will make sense.
My procedure:

Tilt steering wheel up all the way, put the armrests down. With seat locked in the driving position, with the joystick run it down and forward towards the windshield all the way. Tilt seatback all the way forward, this also brings armrests down further so they will clear the steering wheel. Unlock and rotate seat around 180 degrees, now the arms and seatback should clear the wheel. Tilt the seatback back as desired, note it is very limited by the wheel, especially if you want to swivel the seat some.

This works every time with me, YMMV.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Canyon star drivers seat swivel question

Another approach....with the driver seat all the way back and all the way down raise the side arms so they are parallel with the seat back. Release the seat swivel and turn the seat so it faces the passenger seat. Make sure the the steering wheel is raised as high as it will go. At this point slide to seat all the way forward and, using the manual release lever, also tilt the seat back all the way forward toward the passenger seat. You may have to play with the arm that is closest to the steering wheel (left arm rest) as you try to go past it. Up, down , up, down...whatever it takes to easily clear the wheel. Just don't force it. You don't have to. There is a sweet spot that should work. Now continue to swivel the seat so that it faces the rear of the coach. As others have said you may have to play with the arms and/ or seat back but you will be able to get the seat turned around. Honest! We've all been there and certainly understand what you're going through. Just keep trying. You'll get it. Best of luck!

Tags
driver