RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

Canyon Star external entertainment question

I have a 2013 Canyon Star with external sony entertainment system. .. (TV with radio/cd underneath) .. my question is, can the audio from the tv be directed to use the more powerful sound system speakers vs the tiny tv speakers?... we go to football games and concerts with rv and would like more volume from outside tv?... Note: I have gone into settings on TV and changed sound setting from TV to external and put radio into Aux mode but could not get it to work... anyone know it this is possible?... could I have a wiring/connection problem?.. as always any suggestions/thoughts are appreciated...

Dave

ds2659674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have RCA outputs from TV they will have to go to a amplifier to feed some speakers, could be same ones off radio and using AB switch for speakers to work for two different outputs, radio & TV, but you need extra amp or put in a receiver and remove radio to be more flexible.
Maybe an I-POD would work in receiver also.
Here is a thread on external LCD Systems.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #3

Thank you for your prompt response... I was able to plug earphone jack into front Aux as a work around until I can figure out why BUS input is not working
Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Your correct.... speakers are pointing to the back. You can increase volume also by going into the Menu and changing to Dynamic.

If you make a change, please post. I would be interested.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #5

On Mine I just switch it to the stereo output and the TV sound comes from the stereo speakers. The volume is adjusted by using the stereo remote or just turning the stereo volume knob. There is no need to hook up anything or change any wiring as you can go back and forth between the sound outputs via the remotes. You just need to go into the sound set up and select the output desired.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Finally figured our external radio system out. After removing the Radio from holder noticed there were 2 RCA jacks plugged into the back. Connections marked BUS AUDIO IN. Look through all documentation I could find and sure enough no way to switch to BUS in. Went inside to bathroom when DW asked for me to turn on the surround system. BAM! we were blasting the sound all over the outside. Apparently Newmar has wired the SONY Bus lines to the Surround sound system so when you have the Surround on, the Outside radio now has a CD-2 input, which of course is whatever you have selected on the Surround. Volume is controlled by outside radio. Being an Electrical Engineer for over 30 years, I was quite impressed by the design. Pretty intricate.

Anyway, just turn on the surround.
State College, PA
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

I pulled the radio out as well and saw the bus input but it was not clear how to activate that. ... I finally played around with settings and somehow got cd-2 to show up on selection, then when TV put in external speaker mode I was able to play tv sound from sterio.. I also was able to use cable from TV headphone jack to external audio which actually seemed to have better quality sound... thank you for your feedback...

Dave
Old 04-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I was wondering how to improve the sound outside and thought about attaching my Bose soundlink...then I pulled the TV out and saw a few connections and realized that maybe there was an input on the radio that linked the tv and the radio.....low and behold.....very impressed with the attention to detail Newmar puts into their coaches.....!
Old 04-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #9

Hmmmm, I can't seem to find that input on the Sony CDX-M30 under my exterior TV on my 2014 Ventana. The source button on the CDX-M30 gives me only "AUX FRONT IN" and "TUNER"
I'm playing a DVD that displays on the inside and outside TVs and plays audio through all TVs and the Sony receiver inside the coach, but haven't found a way to get the sound to the outside speakers like many of you have. The audio out of the TV is connected to RCA cables, but I'm not sure how to remove the radio to check the rear connections, but the solution seems like it's more of a setup issue rather than a wiring issue.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
On my CS 3710, the outdoor stereo is accessible from the interior by removing one of my kitchen drawers. I at first had CD 3 as an input but then it went away so I pulled the drawer and jiggled the connections and it wa back.

When I pulled out the Tv I could see RCA cables spliced together and a 3.5mm jack taped in the same bundle which plugged into the back of the tv. Thatís how I think the sound can go through the outdoor stereo.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbie1 View Post
On my CS 3710, the outdoor stereo is accessible from the interior by removing one of my kitchen drawers. I at first had CD 3 as an input but then it went away so I pulled the drawer and jiggled the connections and it wa back.

When I pulled out the Tv I could see RCA cables spliced together and a 3.5mm jack taped in the same bundle which plugged into the back of the tv. Thatís how I think the sound can go through the outdoor stereo.
My issue turned out to be loose connection with the cable plugged into the TV. I replace the din-RCA cable and everything seems to be stable.

As far as getting to the back of the radio, mine slid out (gently) and I was actually able to bring the radios USB connection out so we can connect smart phone (picture attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	200920  
State College, PA
Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

I took a closer look at why the bus audio input (fed from the Sony TV audio output) is not selectable on my CDX-M30, and still haven't had any luck. I wiggled the connections and made sure the Sony unilink bus control device (tells the unit that there is something connected to the bus audio input) was properly seated, and still only get two sources (radio and front aux in) to select from. Strange.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When I had the issue, I started at the TV and plugged into where the RCA cables came from. In my case it was simply pulling out the earphone jack and plugging earphones in. Then I plugged in the Earphone to RCA cable and check for sound at the RCA end... in my case it showed a bad earphone to RCA cable, but if you start from the source (TV) and work your way to the radio, you should find the issue....
State College, PA
Old 05-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #14

I finally got it to work. The unilink adapter inserted into bus control input needed to removed and reinserted in order to get the bus to recognize it. Now the head unit understands that the RCA audio bus input is active and gives me a CD2 source.
Next up, a better speaker solution....