Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Canyon Star gas model with Norcold frig

We have a 2011 3810 Canyon Star with a Norcold Fridge. The fridge is the two door model. The fridge goes off quite frequently. Took it into our dealer but until it actually doesn't work when it is there they can't track the problem. We go to the electrical box in the bathroom and remove the 9 volt fuse and that does the trick. The fridge is on Auto but when it goes out it does not switch over to propane. Any ideas out there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

What do you mean when you say it "goes off?" As in no lights on the front at all, no power at all? Or just won't cool anymore?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What does the 9 volt fuse feed should be marked?
The control for fridge work on 12v and should have a 12v fuse marked refrigerator. If the fridge goes off allot maybe should check the connections for wires at the fuse panel and a 12v wiring block at the base of the fridge.
Do you have a black box, the recall, on cooling coils in back of fridge looking in thru vent area?
The propane maybe trying to light but the flame sensor where the lighting spark and sensor can not sense the flame when lighting and propane flame goes out.
The ceramic tip on end of rod may need to be cleaned with a soft cloth and contact spray.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks for your replay. I should of said 12v not 9v. The fuse for the fridge is 20 amp and is marked in the electric panel in the bathroom. Took the outside cover off and yes there is a black box with the connections to it. I Removed and cleaned contacts. The propane comes on normally when it is turned on at the fridge. We have the fridge on "AU" so that if the electrical goes off the fridge, the propane is supposed to kick in. That does not happen. The ceramic tip you speak of. Where is it located. I can find where the propane feeds into the fridge. Cleaning the electrical contacts may help. I guess we will find out. The propane not coming on automatically hopefully is cured as well. Appreciate you help.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Ok all refers have a black box, but the four door 1200 Norcold's have TWO boxes. One is the control board, other is a recall box.
If yours is a plain two door 6xx or 8xx model, you only have a control board.
You still didn't say what it's doing. Now you're saying the LP will not light automatically if you lose 120V, correct?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This link will explain the burner assembly and cleaning.
Most Norcolds are on recall and do have two black box's one is a control unit and the dreaded small black box that sensors a over heat condition and shuts down the fridge.
If the fridge shuts down you can reset it by using a magnet and save yourself some money.
The 120v is only for the heating elements that are used when in AC mode but your fridge is still operated by the 12v control board.
If you have a ice maker it uses 120v also for operation.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Ok all refers have a black box, but the four door 1200 Norcold's have TWO boxes. One is the control board, other is a recall box.
If yours is a plain two door 6xx or 8xx model, you only have a control board.
You still didn't say what it's doing. Now you're saying the LP will not light automatically if you lose 120V, correct?
We have both boxes, control and recall. You are correct I am saying the LP will not light automatically if we lose 120V. The Fridge goes completely off. I took the wires off the recall box and cleaned them and reinstated them. At the moment the fridge is working and hasn't gone off as yet. We had and still have the fridge on "AU". We will see what happens now. At one point we were told that the ballast in the light in the ceiling of the motor home above the Fridge could affect the Fridge operation so we changed the light to LED. That did not fix the problem. When I took one of the connections off the recall box and red light started flashing and stopped when I reconnected. I assume that is the red light that has been mentioned.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1608383]This [URL="http://blog.rv.net/2008/04/maintenance-cleaning-a-norcold-burner/
link will explain the burner assembly[/URL] and cleaning.
Most Norcolds are on recall and do have two black box's one is a control unit and the dreaded small black box that sensors a over heat condition and shuts down the fridge.
If the fridge shuts down you can reset it by using a magnet and save yourself some money.
The 120v is only for the heating elements that are used when in AC mode but your fridge is still operated by the 12v control board.
If you have a ice maker it uses 120v also for operation.
WE have the two black boxes the small one being the recall box. I took off the connections and cleaned them, reinstalled them and presently the fridge is working. We have the fridge set on "AU". If the fridge goes off I will try the magnet. When I did remove one of the terminals on the box a red light started flashing and did so until I reconnected. I am assuming that is the red light others of speaking of. I really appreciate all the help I have been getting.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #9

First, do you have fire at the stove and WH and other LP appliances?
Then, put the refr on auto. Have the MH hooked up to shore power. Then go outside to the back of the refr, pull off the door. Unplug the 120V power cord that is for the heating element. What noises do you hear/what does the refr do? It should click once, which is the gas valve opening. Then it should tick, tick, tick rapidly. That is the spark. If you open the flap on the right side you might can see the spark.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
First, do you have fire at the stove and WH and other LP appliances?
Then, put the refr on auto. Have the MH hooked up to shore power. Then go outside to the back of the refr, pull off the door. Unplug the 120V power cord that is for the heating element. What noises do you hear/what does the refr do? It should click once, which is the gas valve opening. Then it should tick, tick, tick rapidly. That is the spark. If you open the flap on the right side you might can see the spark.
Well the fridge went out this morning. Did the magnet thing and when the wife pushed the on/off button the fridge came on. When we disconnect the shore power the Propane does come on automatically. (We have fridge on (Auto). We have propane to other appliances. When the fridge goes out pushing the on and off button nothing at all happens. If you push the propane button, nothing happens. We are hooked up to shorepower all the time that this is happening. If fridge goes out again I will try the unplugging of the 120V power cord that is inside the panel. RV'ing is a learning experience that is for sure. Thanks again. will let you know progress
Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you clean the ceramic sensor so control can recognize there is a LP flame activated?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #12

What do you mean when you keep saying "the fridge goes out?" That can mean so many different things and you never clarified.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect the 12 VDC control power is being killed (shut off). Without the 12 VDC power, the frig will not switch to propane/

Ken
Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
What do you mean when you keep saying "the fridge goes out?" That can mean so many different things and you never clarified.
The fridge sometimes shuts down totally with no power coming to the fridge. When I either pull the 12V (20amp)fuse from the main elec. panel or disconnect the power outside in the panel the fridge will come on. In some cases the power comes on but the light inside the fridge does not come on. Right now the light on the fridge door is on and the light inside is out. We have it on AU. Can the fridge work on just 12volt power?

Tags
gas, norcold