Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Canyon Star Noise Factor?

Hi Folks - we're looking seriously at the 3920 toyhauler for our purchase a year or so from now. I was surprised to be advised by a cousin (who's had a Winnebago coach for a decade or so) that I be sure to drive a coach first, before switching over from a 5th wheel toy hauler. He said that all loaded motorcoaches are pretty noisy on the road. My 7.3l Ford F250 diesel with a ~13K 5th wheel attached was not exactly quiet! Any opinions regarding the noise factor in a 3920?
ericdiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
If its a gas most likely will be on Ford chassis you could go to a dealer now and drive one and see for yourself.
The new Ford chassis are build differently than my older chassis and have different suspension, better shocks, they were truck chassis.
Gas is not a air bag ride as a DP so there will be some noise but Newmar does silence the engine noise pretty good for gas coach.
Here is a Brochure for 2014 CS for information.
There is some noise with slides movement while driving also but not something to bother you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We are on our first long road trip in our brand new Canyon Star 3940. We have put about 2500 miles on it with about 2000 more to go. The coach is operating very well. We had a small Class C and it was a lot harder to drive and made a lot more noise than this beautiful motorhome. We realize it isn't the toy hauler you are considering but don't hesitate to find a dealer who has one in stock and arrange for a test drive to see for yourself. Drive it on all types of roads....city, country, highways. Overall there aren't many noises at all with a few easily identifiable (and correctable) exceptions. So far we love our new Newmar Canyon Star. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Other than engine whine when downshifting on hills, our CS is a fairly quiet coach for a gasser. Take others advice and drive one for yourself, think you will be surprised.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdiehl View Post
Hi Folks - we're looking seriously at the 3920 toyhauler for our purchase a year or so from now. I was surprised to be advised by a cousin (who's had a Winnebago coach for a decade or so) that I be sure to drive a coach first, before switching over from a 5th wheel toy hauler. He said that all loaded motorcoaches are pretty noisy on the road. My 7.3l Ford F250 diesel with a ~13K 5th wheel attached was not exactly quiet! Any opinions regarding the noise factor in a 3920?

And best of luck on your quest for a motorized Toyhauler!

See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

I don't know what your cousin is talking about - the 2 current mfgt Class A Toyhaulers (the CS 3920 and the Thor Outlaw 37LS and 37MD) are very quiet and comfortable on the road. This might be caused by the "decade or so" thing. These chassis have been improved and mine likes to be loaded - providing a quieter and smoother ride.

Like mentioned above, when the Triton V10 (only engine currently available in front-engine gas chassis) downshifts for a hard pull, there is an increased noise level, but it is not too much to live with.

These units even have garages that are insulated just like the rest of the RV, but with low maint. surfaces for your toys.

Be warned...the Class A Toyhauler segment is HOT so there are few units sitting on dealer lots. Because of this current situation, a test drive might be hard to obtain.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #6

Thx much for your input, folks. My cousin is something of an extreme perfectionist ("A*** Retentive" comes to mind), and I suspect that he consciously registers every little creak and rattle. May see if we can do a Newmar factory tour---that would be informative. I'm quite impressed with the youtube production videos that I've watched.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #7

I've had my 3920 Toy Hauler now for two years. I don't find mine noisy at all and certainly no noise that you wouldn't expect.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #8

Thanks!