Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #1

Canyon Star vs Tiffin 34PA

Wonder if you folks have considered both of these. These two manufacturers seem to be close. Wonder your opinions pros and cons.
blnsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was comparing a 2018 Canyon Star 3716 and 3918 models to the Tiffin 34PA late last year when I was considering a new coach. Liked them both but never followed thru with a purchase.

The Navigator prefered the layout of the Tiffin more than the Newmar. She prefers the extra room in the bath (hasn't warmed up to the idea of a rear bath), the segregation of the front living area from the kitchen along with the option of a J coach in the Tiffin. She also prefers the slide opening windows of the Tiffin over the frameless windows of the Canyon Star.

From my prospective fighting for the Newmar would have been a battle I was never going to win and if I did I was never going to enjoy having done so.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #3

We have our search narrowed down to either the Canyon Star 3710 or Allegro 36LA. Both are bath and a half models, each with their own distinctive pro's and con's. We are getting serious now, going to RV show in two weeks, then will look at various models and visit dealers over next several months. Our goal is to have one on order (a 2020) and ready for delivery February 1, 2020 (I am retiring in December).
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

We owned a 34tga ,it was a nice unit. When we decided to move up to a dp we looked at the ventanna 3436 and the equvalent tiffin. The fit and finish was good on the tiffin but the newmar was much better. What sold it for us was the amount of issues for each that would require a trip back to the dreaded service dept . The newmar won out. Although none are perfect and will have issues the newmar seems to have less.

Kevin
Kevkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
KJR

We were in the process of researching for our first motorhome and narrowed it down to Newmar and Tiffin gas models The floorplan we like the best is the Tiffin Open Road 34PA. Second is the Newmar CS 3513. This was just looking at online photos and videos. We finally saw a 34PA and really liked the floorplan and space. We haven’t seen a CS 3513 in person yet. It seems there are more Tiffins on the lots. The nearest CS 3513 to us is in Florida and we’re in Texas.

I think the possible major advantages with Newmar could be their wall framing and insulation and their slides are flush fit. They also install dual pane windows. Not sure if after a few years if the dual pane seals could fail.

Tiffin uses the traditional foam laminated aluminum framed walls. They build their own windows and the glass is 1/4” thick. Their slides overlap the side walls like most class A.

We feel the floor plan and storage is the most important priorities and for us the Tiffin 34PA offers the better floorplan.

With opposing slides in the 34PA the living and bedroom areas are spacious. We plan to get the computer dinette option which offers more storage including a file drawer.

The bath in the 34pa seems like an en-suite to the bedroom and it has two doors. Without the washer dryer in the bath area Tiffin installs 5 adjustable shelves. We plan to store our small appliances in there which is easily accessed via the door from the wide kitchen aisle. The slide out pantry has adjustable shelves as well as the overhead kitchen cabinets.

We can order with a king size bed with memory foam mattress. Plenty of hanging and drawers for clothes and there is always the extra storage in the large cabinet in the bath.

We can turn both drivers and passenger seats around to view the living area TV although it’s not that bad from the couch but we are not heavy TV viewers.

The optional 2000w inverter supplies inverted power to all electrical outlets and a 7 K generator is offered.

The residential double door fridge is large with a bottom freezer.

The 34PA has a 252” wheelbase and Sumo springs are offered which we plan to order.

The carrying capacity is good with the 34PA with its 26k chassis. It has at least 3500lbs when we checked the label in the wardrobe Take out the washer dryer and you should gain another 200lbs.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 AM   #6

Previously owned 2018 Tiffin 34PA

We owned this coach for one year. Really liked the floor plan and the storage. It rides nice and is easy to handle, after several trips it was very comfortable to drive.

I cannot speak about the similar model in Newmar, we had not considered them when we made our first purchase. Tiffin dealer was < 10 minutes from our home. Navigator researched for 1 year prior to us going onto the lot.

Two things prompted us to change to a Newmar DP. Navigator really wants to mountain travel (we live on east coast) and our service issues / repair paradigm. We had mini-mountained in NC and the downgrade going to and from Cherokee was frightening.

Secondly our minor service repairs were just not handled well by the same dealer. Navigator wants all items fixed.

Fireplace at first worked but only had one setting. Dealer replaced after having the coach for weeks. Something we did not know, do not say to the repair facility "get to it when you can". The replacement was made and worked beautifully except the tech says that glass logs are broken and we will order you a new fireplace. A month later new fireplace comes in also works beautifully, but glass logs are broken in a different place. When we traded in the coach, we did so with the fireplace working, glass logs broken.

Tow vehicle turn signal and brake light on passenger side required two trips and two repair bills from Tiffin dealer, still did not work. We asked the Tiffin dealer who was the 3rd party shop that installed the Blue Ox -- one trip and 45 minutes later, the bulb was bad on the tow vehicle. Who knew there was a separate bulb if being towed...

The whole approach to service just rubbed us the wrong way.

Tiffin themselves bent over backwards and extended to 2 years everything that we had an issue with, but with the shop close to us doing the repairs it was not enough to tip the scales to stay in the line.

The 34PA you will be happy with, the floor plan is very good. After a few trips you will have a big grin on your face...

Happy travels.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

I think I would like it but that darn tv viewing angle is a real problem for me. They should change the flop plan like new at has. So many complain about this.
blnsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #8

After 2 years of research got down to Newmar and Tiffin. After several RV shows and running back and forth between the two settled in on the Newmar based on my perceived quality, size and floor plan of my Canyon Star.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #9

Bob just picked up 2019 3710 Newmar. Wife loves the rear bath and King bed. I also looked at the Tiffin but the quality of the Newmar won out. Enjoy your venture.
Al McGuire
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

We really like the 34PA floor plan too except for the TV (I have told the factory reps on several occasions they need an optional televator where the dinette is located). However, there are several things about Tiffin that have turned us off. First, I have read of the dash falling away from the attachment points and the front cap separating from the sides. This was on coaches a few years old. I thought naively that they would be corrected by now, but Tiffin has not corrected these issues in production and some newer coaches with more mileage are showing the same issues. I was also told recently that some were having issues with the cabinets, although I think the Tiffin cabinetry is gorgeous. I do like they are all solid wood (vice base Newmar wrapped wood) and that the Tiffin has the one piece fiberglass roof as standard equipment. I also recently read that Tiffin doesn’t insulate the end caps.

We currently have a 14 year old Newmar with the thermopane windows. No issues at all. I do like that several of the Canyon Star floor plans now have the optional emergency door in the bathroom. I think the wall construction is superior and the roof with fiberglass insulation is much quieter. I don’t like wrapped wood and won’t even consider a coach with it (one of my biggest gripes with our current coach). Also, be careful using the weights from the Newmar brochure, they are way off. You must check the actual weight sticker in the cabinets. With a 26K gross weight, you have only a towing capacity of 4K lbs. If your towed vehicle is more than 4K than the difference comes off of your carrying capacity so make sure to run the numbers.

We are looking to traveling in the west as well (similar to a prior post) and are thinking we may move to a used Ventana rather than a new gas coach.

I will also note we still love our current coach so the floor plan and pricing for any newer coach has to meet some requirements before we would ever make a move.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

It’s true, Newmar gets proper TV viewing, so many other companies mount TV’s as if the initially forgot to include them, then threw them in at the last minute as an afterthought. When we were shopping for our CS 3710, we looked at the Tiffin’s, I don’t recall the model but it had only one bath midship that expanded with the FWS. I did not like this design.
I have had several motorhomes over the years, all with one bath, then we looked at the CS with 2 baths and my first thought was 2 baths is silly and a waste of space. After having 2 coach’s with 2 baths I now would not go back to one. Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stuart, I agree. I have only a single bath now, but my next coach WILL have a bath and a half.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blnsfn2 View Post
I think I would like it but that darn tv viewing angle is a real problem for me. They should change the flop plan like new at has. So many complain about this.

At first glance, that’s a common perception and it was ours as well. We have friends with a 40AP Allegro Bus (think size “Large” 34AP) and when they ordered it we didn’t get it either.

However, we spent time “camping” with them in the fall a couple years ago, and watching some football, and I got it then....... the drivers / passenger seats swiveled around are your lounge chairs and you can lay on the couch and not twist your neck. Sitting at the dinette the rear facing seat is again a great viewing angle to the main TV while you will want the over head front TV to watch from the other dinette seat.

The 34AP was not yet available (it was the “replacment” for the 34TGA) when we ordered our coach, if it was and I had not spent time in our friends coach I doubt we would have considered it any more than we did than the TGA at the time......

Or you get a 31/32SA or 36LA if you really do prefer a TV across from the couch.

In any case, having a TV over the dining table is simply a “no go” for us......

Good luck in your search.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
KJR

Today we test drove a 34PA just prior to the orientation and signing the papers. During the test drive when reaching 55 to 60mph we heard a loud resonate whine from the rear. Not sure if it was the drive shaft or tires but it was a real turnoff. We even drove another 34PA they had on the lot and while not as severe it was still present enough to bug me since 55 to 60 would be our cruising speed. We decided not to purchase. We did test drive a Newmar Bay Star 3626 about a month ago and didn’t hear such a noise. From my recollection the Newmar seemed a little tighter, not so much rattle but that could be from the road. The wind was blowing and despite the unit having Sumo springs the wind was pushing to where it caught ne off guard and scared me a bit. I’m sure I’d get used to that but the drive train/wheel noise at 55 to 60 was a deal breaker.

We thought maybe a Red 33a could be an alternative but the higher MSRP even with a 30% discount including Texas sales tax would be mean a purchase costing at least $50k over a new Tiffin open roar. That difference doesn’t seem worth it for just a diesel engine and chassis. The Open Road gas and Red is the same quality interior.

Our next step is to test drive a Newmar Canyon Star 3513 but they are rare to find and depending on the options the carrying capacity is much less than the Tiffin 34PA. Add a 4800lb Jeep toad the carrying capacity is reduced 800lbs due to the 30000lb GCVW limit. We are glad we didn’t special order a unit otherwise we’d be out $5000. We are full timers so carrying capacity is important vs a weekend warrior.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin