Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
When traveling uphill through mountains, how is the noise level? I've heard some God awful sounds on you tube with the 5 speeds.
It gets a little louder when you climb grades yes, but not near as bad as some people state it does. In ours you can easily carry on a conversation without raising your voice. Newmar does a great job on insulating the engine noise. When people make statements as to the noise level they are usually talking about older gas MH's or brands that are not built with the same quality, or they are going off what other people say and have not experienced it themselves. The bottom line is you spend the bulk of your time driving on relatively flat terrain where the engine noise is not noticeable, as opposed to climbing grades. We have driven thru the Sierras, and the Rockies and the noise or the drive has not been an issue at all.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #30

Quote:
When traveling uphill through mountains, how is the noise level? I've heard some God awful sounds on you tube with the 5 speeds.
My friend has a 37' DP with a cat 330 and while it is quieter, its not a deal breaker for me. As we speak he has cooling issues with less that 40k miles.
The 6 speed down shifts to 5th on mild inclines while more moderate hills it drops to 4th....that's when it gets a tad bothersome, but again its no deal breaker for me. Too many bennies of a reliable v-10 gasser to be all upset over a tad bit of engine growl on hills.
We ran the gen (7k) all night the second night out and didn't even notice it......so much for that issue many DP lovers suggest.
No we wont be worried about air brake service, or air suspension service ie compressor and bag replacement. Good old ford all wheel discs and steel spring suspension will be easy to live with.
HotRodLincon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #31

Thanks everyone for the comments. You have given us a lot to think about. While a V10 seems to be inherently less cost to maintain, and easier on the wallet, the Ventana has a lot going for it. We have actually ruled out the Ventana LE due to carry capacity. And as we have continued looking DP has fallen in love with the 4041 Ventana. So the discussion continues.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #32

Didn't the 40 series le's have much higher carrying capacity? They have 3000 tranny/360 hp and I thought 7-8k ncc?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Didn't the 40 series le's have much higher carrying capacity? They have 3000 tranny/360 hp and I thought 7-8k ncc?
Yes, you are correct they do. However, the floor plan is another big consideration. The Ventana 4041 has fantastic storage, more than any other 40something from Newmar.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Horrible horrible horrible. OK, I only have Bay Star experience, not Canyon Star. Perhaps Newmar does some special sound deadening on Canyon Star only, although if they do so, they should brag about it...the brochure doesn't say anything about quieting that engine.

Anything over 5% grade, my choice is: 35mph, or ear protection. Because I like to get where I'm going, I wear rifleman's ear protection and push to climb at 60-65mph. The noise of this engine at 4500 rpm is one of the loudest things I've ever heard.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
Horrible horrible horrible. OK, I only have Bay Star experience, not Canyon Star. Perhaps Newmar does some special sound deadening on Canyon Star only, although if they do so, they should brag about it...the brochure doesn't say anything about quieting that engine.

Anything over 5% grade, my choice is: 35mph, or ear protection. Because I like to get where I'm going, I wear rifleman's ear protection and push to climb at 60-65mph. The noise of this engine at 4500 rpm is one of the loudest things I've ever heard.
Thanks for your honesty! Now the price of gas coaches will plunge for the rest of us to buy!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #36
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post

That was my experience as well with our previous 2008 Gulfstream v10 gasser. The noise was intolerable at high RPMs. That Ford V10 screams when climbing.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Amen amen. Our Canyon Star was the same. We had lots of room and very comfy but couldn't live with the noise...among other things. Ventana 4369 is perfect for s
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:04 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I guess its going to take a while for the difference between the 5 speed vs 6 speed to come out...
Having owned both a 2015 V-10 5 speed and a 2016 V-10 6 speed, I can say without hesitation the 6 speed is much quieter. The 5 speed would downshift on almost any incline, very irritating. The new transmission handles hills without downshifting nearly as often. While it does get loud on big inclines (think I-70 east from the I-15 junction in Utah) its not nearly as loud as it used to be.
Long steep inclines are a problem for any heavily laden vehicle.

Bob & Loretta
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was running a V-10 on a SOB I always disconnected the cruise before the downshift. The jump in RPM on the downshift was astounding. I thought the engine would blow it was so loud.
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsbl77 View Post
I guess its going to take a while for the difference between the 5 speed vs 6 speed to come out...
Having owned both a 2015 V-10 5 speed and a 2016 V-10 6 speed, I can say without hesitation the 6 speed is much quieter. The 5 speed would downshift on almost any incline, very irritating. The new transmission handles hills without downshifting nearly as often. While it does get loud on big inclines (think I-70 east from the I-15 junction in Utah) its not nearly as loud as it used to be.
Long steep inclines are a problem for any heavily laden vehicle.

Bob & Loretta
Guess I should feel lucky or must be half deaf from the 70's, but DW and I have the radio on and talk at a normal level, even climbing a hill at 4500 rpm. Would I like it quieter, yes if it was as quiet as our Lexux that would be great, but diesels I have been in make noise also, not as loud since they are 40' away from the driver, but not the silence everyone seems to imply. For us being it is our first, a little bit of noise once in awhile is worth the overall savings in initial price, maintenance , the price of diesel full and DEF and lastly the Class B license which is a catch 22 (can't get the license without MH to drive, and can't drive MH without license).

Anyway, loving everything about our Canyon Star and if we decide to invest another $100K, might invest in ear muffs first and put the other $99,900 into stocks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #41

[QUOTE

Anyway, loving everything about our Canyon Star and if we decide to invest another $100K, might invest in ear muffs first and put the other $99,900 into stocks.[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad idea at all....
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #42

I keep hearing about this special license that is required for driving diesel MHs? In Texas I don't think this is required? In other states, this is required? Confused!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent