Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Zak

Question Captains chair foot rest stuck out!

I extended the footrest on my 2014 MADP captains chair today and it's stuck extended all the way out. The switch does nothing when pushed either way. It's like the electric motor died. I had to remove two bolts on the scissor arms to at least collapse it 80% of the way in just so we could drive home.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Do I call newmar Monday or the seat manufacturer? I think it's villa ultra leather or something....

Appreciate any suggestions.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #2

Newmar would be the first to call for warranty related repairs.
Do any of the seat power motors work , or is only the foot rest in-operative?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

First check to see if you have power to the seat. As was previously stated, do any of the other seat motors work? If they don't then start looking for the fuse.

Also, I once had an issue were I spun the seat all the way around and ripped the power connection apart. Had to replace the connector.

Keep us posted.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It may be as simple as checking the connector under the seat. They are famous for coming loose. Push it together and see if that makes a difference. Do the other seat functions work?
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Zak

Yes, all the other seat functions work fine. I checked the switch and the four wires were connected properly. Don't see any loose or cut wires....but I did swivel the chair around 180 when I extended the rest...is their a fuse for that single motor somewhere? Tx!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #6

No ; at least not on my coach , mine only has 2 wires. only one power and ground supplied to the switch.
If two of the wires are smaller they may be for seat belt buckle/warning. Or are your seats heated as well ?
Can you pull the wiring connector, off the motor and check the switch output ?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Seems like it's time to sit back and relax.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Zak

More to the saga...I guess these chairs are supposed to lock out extended? I think something broke on mine and fried the tiny little motor that drives the screw rod. A piece of plastic was loose between the screw rod and the square push rod that attaches to the foot rest.

Called newmar this morn. They said call freightliner as chairs and electrical is theirs. Called freightliner, they said nope, call newmar.

I checked all the "black box fuses" and all are fine. Switch is fine. Must be motor.

How do I line up a repair under warranty like this with no newmar dealer within 300 miles? Or do,I drive 300 miles to steinbring for some tech to,say "yep, it's the $6 motor" come back in a week when the part arrives? 600 bucks in fuel for a $6 part?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #9

Phone the dealer with ask if you mail/ UPS them the part, will they test and mail you the replacement.

Also call Newmar again , ask for a supervisor , because they are definitely in charge of the driver/ passenger seating and related wiring.
When the chassis arrives from Freightliner, the only thing above the top frame rail is the steering wheel.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Called newmar this morn. They said call freightliner as chairs and electrical is theirs. Called freightliner, they said nope, call newmar.
When calling any large business, the person whose knowledge and expertise has elevated them the position of answering the telephone all day, is probably NOT the person you want to eventually end up talking to!!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #12

I can't find whether you mentioned if it was the driver seat or the passenger seat. The driver seat captain chair with that option will not extend when the engine is running (I think that is new in 2014). It sounds like that switch may be malfunctioning since the footrest extension is the only function not working correctly. Not sure where that switch is located but may focus your questions when calling Newmar.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I think someone got there "Fs" mixed up. Flexsteel, not Freightliner. No boob should think Freightliner does anything with the chairs. Flexsteel makes the furniture that you sit on.

I think the error was an adult-like slip of the tongue.