RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carefree Awning Wind Sensor Controls Question

Ok, I’ve read the owners manual, gone online to the manufacturer website and searched these boards but can’t find the answer to my question: for our Carefree awning, what do the settings mean for the automatic retract? We have the control shown in the photo with three buttons. The right hand button presumably adjusts the sensitivity of the automatic retract feature. But what is the difference between High, Medium, and Low? Is High the most sensitive, or is Low the most sensitive? Or does Low mean low sensitivity?

Asking because the awning has never retracted in a year during which we’ve certainly had the awning bouncing in winds. We just pull it in if we’re in the RV, and we retract if we go away for the day.

We have a 2017 VTLE 3412, and the awning is a Carefree Travl’r awning which looks like their cheapest power awning.

Thank you for the assembled wisdom of the boards! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	210194

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #2

I can't comment on CareFree's automatic awning, but the A&E WeatherPro that's on our 5th wheel trailer only worked for a month or so. Under the extended warranty I had the sensor and control unit replaced with the then latest version (they're a matched pair and you have to replace them together, it was replaced with their 3rd generation). And that never worked even once.

So I gave up.

At least with the A&E WeatherPro systems, it's the roof sensor that's the problem. It just doesn't work in the Sun. The sensor measures heat differences. One part of the sensor generates a little heat, the other part of the sensor measures the rate of heat drop -- and translates that into wind velocity. Or, that's the theory.

The 1st generation was a white plastic sensor. It got hot and stopped working. So they put a piece of polished metal on top. That didn't work any better. So they tried an all metal sensor. That didn't work. And that's when I lost interest and faith. As far as I'm concerned now, it's a nice electric awning that I roll out or roll in by pushing the button -- when I determine it needs rolling up.

WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:31 AM   #3

Not 100% sure but we keep ours on "low". There has been numerous times since we took delivery in November that it has rolled in on its own. Never really tired it on medium or high because we assumed the low setting was the most sensitive.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I performed my on test to see just what it takes to make the awning retract. Extended the awning, set switch to low which I think is with the push button raised where low is printed. (like in your picture) I use a shop broom and moved the awning up and down at the rollup tube. I moved it quickly up and down 6 to 10 inches probably 5 times and it retracted. I believe its the sudden jar of dropping back to the full open position that trigger the auto retract as I’ve seen it move more than 10 inches and not retract set on low. I never got it to retract on medium or high. I was afraid I would break something. The awning has retract a couple times. Both times I was about to retract it myself as it was really bouncing way more than 10 inches, but not dropping hard to the full open position. I leave mine set on low and if high winds (20+) are forecast I retract the awning.
stang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have Dometic awning that bounces in the wind for hours and under certain condition (haven't determined what yet) it goes in by itself. While in Myrtle Beach near the ocean we had a few people ask us why we didn't bring our awning in when the wind picked up, so far just letting it do its thing seems to be fine...
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for your replies! Stang, you are clever to test it that way as the description is that it is activated when it “bounces”. I’ll keep it on ‘low’ from now on.

And yes, we always roll in the awning ourselves if we’re heading out for the day or if there’s wind at night so perhaps we’ve just been ahead of any automated retraction.

Thanks again folks
Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the Girard full length awning which has absolutely no problem retracting on its own. Is this adjustable? I wonder where the sensors are located. I see the receivers for the remote in a bay.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #8

Here is the manual explaining switch. “Page 4”
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...ers-Manual.pdf
CaptainDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Ok, I’ve read the owners manual, gone online to the manufacturer website and searched these boards but can’t find the answer to my question: for our Carefree awning, what do the settings mean for the automatic retract? We have the control shown in the photo with three buttons. The right hand button presumably adjusts the sensitivity of the automatic retract feature. But what is the difference between High, Medium, and Low? Is High the most sensitive, or is Low the most sensitive? Or does Low mean low sensitivity?

Asking because the awning has never retracted in a year during which we’ve certainly had the awning bouncing in winds. We just pull it in if we’re in the RV, and we retract if we go away for the day.

We have a 2017 VTLE 3412, and the awning is a Carefree Travl’r awning which looks like their cheapest power awning.

Thank you for the assembled wisdom of the boards! Attachment 210194

MOTION SWITCH
HIGHMEDLOW
Low requires less amount of motion before the awning closes automatically. High requires more motion before the system closes automatically.
You may have to experiment to find the best setting for your preferences. NOTE: Ifthemotionswitchisnotinstalled,thesystemdefaultst othemediumsetting.
CaptainDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
...set switch to low which I think is with the push button raised where low is printed....
? That would be the opposite of every switch I’ve experienced. Press down to activate the labeled circuit.

Of course I wouldn’t bet money on whether the installer got the wiring reversed on the switch leads, either.

Tags
awning