Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cargo Door Top Hinge Needed

I have a 2005 Dutch Star and one of my cargo doors (1st one aft of the rear wheels, curb side) popped open while driving. I had a "too close" encounter with the rear end of an 18 wheeler, which almost sheared the open door completely off. After safely pulling over on a side street, I removed the remaining one screw that was holding the door on and saved pieces until I was camped for the weekend.

Fast forward several days, after looking at numerous posts and web searches. The door is practically unscathed, except for the external skin, which has gouges on the leading edge and bottom. The hinges are very bent and distorted from their original shape. The attachment rail on the coach is bent in places, but might be able to be reshaped enough to function, at least until I can find a place to do the work properly or schedule a factory visit this summer.

The top hinges - What are they called? It looks like rolled aluminum, but I haven't found anything with that description at a several web sites. (Sometimes you need to know what it is called in order to find out what it is.) I was referred by my local mechanic to Austin Hardware and they carry a large inventory of hinges and other hardware, but I can't pull up pictures that show what the hinge looks like. I also don't know the gauge of the material.

I tried Com-Net yesterday and today (both on the weekend) and I am just presented with a blank browser screen, so I can't get in to check what parts I need. I wanted to see if I could ID the part and specs. I know I can wait until after the holiday Monday and call Newmar, but I'd like to get the ball rolling.

Where can you find the top rolled, aluminum hinges, for a top hinged cargo door? What are they called, so I can communicate with the supplier in terms he understands? Any suggestions on where to get the door skin repaired, other than a local body shop?

Thanks ahead for your reply.

Ken
Houston, Texas
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

Hi Ken, sorry to hear about your incident but like they say "Could have been worse"
My first try would be calling the Parts Department at Newmar with your Coach S/N and explain what you need. These people know your coach better than anyone and are very helpful.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your mishap! I guess you can always look at it that it could have been worse.
It might be that you need a new door from Newmar. Something similar happened to me on my Essex. The door on it was aluminum and had to be replaced. Keep in mind that it may be a special order in which case you wouldn't be able to return it. So make sure you measure it correctly. Don't ask where I learned this!
Good luck and hope all goes well!
Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll call Newmar parts department, since they have all the info. I just get impatient when I can't get on Com-Net or the factory is closed for a 3 day holiday. I guess I need to slow down a little. Right now the compartment is covered with cardboard covered with plastic trash bags that were carefully chosen to match my exterior color (just kidding).
Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolivier View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll call Newmar parts department, since they have all the info. I just get impatient when I can't get on Com-Net or the factory is closed for a 3 day holiday. I guess I need to slow down a little. Right now the compartment is covered with cardboard covered with plastic trash bags that were carefully chosen to match my exterior color (just kidding).
Yes, it is very easy to jump and take care of incidents like this, but it is best to take your time. The same thing happened to me on one of our long 3,000 mi trips. Immediately after it happened I called Newmar and ordered a door and the rear fender piece over the tag. As it turned out I could have easily fixed the fender piece as it was fiberglass, so I had a hard time returning it. I eventually did but with a lot of hassle. Take your time, this kind of thing has happened to every RVer.

All the best!!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
COM_NET is working today try Catalog Model Year for parts need for your coach.
I would check the lock loops on coach frame to see if they are engaging correctly the loops can be adjusted if not that rusty.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door