Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Carpet protective stick-on film

After steam cleaning our carpets, I would like to keep them clean until we get to our Winter destination. I bought carpet film from Home Depot. It looks similar to what dealers install. The product recommends not to leave it on for more than 30 days and to make a 48 hour test to see if it affects the carpet, and if adhesive residue transfers to the carpet. The instructions also state it's only for synthetic carpeting. I installed a few feet of it under the moveable recliner chair and it looks like it would do the job.

Has anyone used this product before and are carpets in motorhomes synthetic?. paul

ROBERTS | 24 x 50 Feet Temporary Carpet Protection Self Adhering Film, 100 Sq. Ft. Roll | Home Depot Canada
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Almost all carpet is synthetic. Exceptions would be most expensive, and not a likely choice for standard installations; cotton, wool, etc.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #3

My one experience with the product was terrible. It came up with no apparent adhesive left but over time dirt buildup gradually appeared and was impossible to get up.
I'd get some cheap throwaway runners if it were me.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post
My one experience with the product was terrible. It came up with no apparent adhesive left but over time dirt buildup gradually appeared and was impossible to get up.
I'd get some cheap throwaway runners if it were me.
X2 ... do yourself a favor and use something else ... old sheets, whatever ...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka View Post
After steam cleaning our carpets, I would like to keep them clean until we get to our Winter destination. I bought carpet film from Home Depot. It looks similar to what dealers install. The product recommends not to leave it on for more than 30 days and to make a 48 hour test to see if it affects the carpet, and if adhesive residue transfers to the carpet. The instructions also state it's only for synthetic carpeting. I installed a few feet of it under the moveable recliner chair and it looks like it would do the job. Has anyone used this product before and are carpets in motorhomes synthetic?. paul ROBERTS | 24 x 50 Feet Temporary Carpet Protection Self Adhering Film, 100 Sq. Ft. Roll | Home Depot Canada
I have seen it used in new home construction, and have used it myself.
I did notice that when used under a lot of foot traffic sometimes it would have a hard time releasing.
We had used it in a home with light colored carpets and it attracted dust easier.
There is another product that is sold by flooring installers supply stores, I cannot remember the name of it, I am sure if you went to one they could help you out. It worked very well.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
If it has a hard time releasing, that means the adhesive is transferring to the carpet fibers. You will have to have that cleaned, again.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
X2 ... do yourself a favor and use something else ... old sheets, whatever ...
X 3 Yup will NEVER do that again!!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I'll add a different experience. I've used this same Home Depot product in my MH for the past three seasons. I use one strip right down the centerline where the carpet is exposed when the slides are in.

I have had no problems whatsoever with it. No issues removing it, and no issues with residual adhesive. At the end of the season, and right before I head to FL for the holidays, I remove what is down, shampoo the carpet, then reapply.

As is obvious from the responses in this thread, YMMV.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Okay, I'll add a different experience. I've used this same Home Depot product in my MH for the past three seasons. I use one strip right down the centerline where the carpet is exposed when the slides are in.

I have had no problems whatsoever with it. No issues removing it, and no issues with residual adhesive. At the end of the season, and right before I head to FL for the holidays, I remove what is down, shampoo the carpet, then reapply.

As is obvious from the responses in this thread, YMMV.
Well this is different and encouraging news. I was just about to return it to HD, but now I will reconsider using it in the entrance and up to the dog house (gasser). All we need is a place to remove our shoes. I don't really like area rugs, they never stay in place and cause tripping hazards... even if I screw them down.

Not sure I understand how long you keep it on. From home to Florida and again from Florida to home? Should I be worried how long it's on? They recommend not more than 30 days. My wife would like it on for the time she needs to prepare the motorhome before we leave... a week plus four days on the road maybe.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #10

Had a concrete guy put this on my metal building when pouring the parking lot
to keep the splaters off siding. Worked great, he removed the next day but it left a lot of adhesive on the siding that dust and dirt stuck to. Still there, three
years later.
pj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used it when doing remodeling in sticks and bricks. Worked well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
It does not take a long time, sometimes just days, before that adhesive transfers to carpet fibers. If not cleaned properly the adhesive will cause very rapid soiling of the carpet. Shampooing or steam cleaning will NOT remove the petroleum based adhesive. Water and oil do not mix. To properly remove the adhesive you need to use a petroleum based cleaner. As these cleaners are not safe to use especially in an indoor enviorment (as a MOHO is) a great alternative is the use of citrus oils. After applied to the effected fibers it must be agitated well using a stiff bristle brush or rake to distribute the oils to all sides of the fiber. Then the citrus oil needs to be rinsed out using a HOT water extraction (steam cleaning) Those adhesive sheets have their applications but also introduce a new problem. For every action there is and equal reaction someone said once. I suggest you find and alternative product or runner to protect your carpets unless you want to always properly clean the carpet after their use.
len poleshaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka View Post
Well this is different and encouraging news. I was just about to return it to HD, but now I will reconsider using it in the entrance and up to the dog house (gasser). All we need is a place to remove our shoes. I don't really like area rugs, they never stay in place and cause tripping hazards... even if I screw them down.

Not sure I understand how long you keep it on. From home to Florida and again from Florida to home? Should I be worried how long it's on? They recommend not more than 30 days. My wife would like it on for the time she needs to prepare the motorhome before we leave... a week plus four days on the road maybe.
I remove, clean, and reapply it in December, and it stays on until the following December, or until it wears out, whichever comes first.

I realize I'm the minority voice here, but I'm wondering if we are all talking about the same product. In other words, I'm sure there are more places to buy this sort of thing than HD, and more than one manufacturer of product. There is a possibility that not all protective films are created equally.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #14

USMCRET: Thanks for clarifying. I found carpet protective film in many places such as Camping World and RV World. I only have access to Home Depot from home.

pj54: The instructions on the package clearly indicate it's not to be used on solid surfaces. But, if it sticks this well I can think of using it in others places such as the inside of wood flower boxes

All of this clearly show that carpeting is not ideal for any RV. New models including low end gassers have recently stopped using carpeting. One of these days I will rip it off and do the same. But it looks like a major project for any handyman.

Thanks to everyone that participated. Your viewpoint is very much appreciated. paul