Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Cat 5e wiring help in 2015 Ventana 3437

Hello all--

I had cat5e wires run from the entertainment cabinet over the drivers seat to the dinette (1), behind the passenger seat (1), the bedroom tv (1) and the rooftop tv antenna (2). Now I own a lot with a post with ethernet and I would like to have a cat5e from the post to ANY of the other cable locations. My ideal scenario would be cat5e from the entertainment center to any bay down below (I suppose the electric bay would be best)

The electri bay to the BR cabinet seems the shortest distance, and that would work fine.

Basically I want to have a hardwired repeater/access point in the coach that will improve the wireless signal AND allow me to hardwire a few things together to make them work better. That repeater could be in the entertainment cabinet, in the bedroom cabinet, behind the passenger seat or even in a bay under the coach. Anywhere I can get (or already have) a cable from the post and a cable to the entertainment cabinet.

Thanks for any thoughts you have.
willlbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #2

Having Internet (Cat5E with RJ45 phone style connector) outside on a post, is very unusual, but I will assume this is really what you have.

From the post, run your Cat5E inside to a router. Now things get "interesting". Plain old router allowed multiple "hardwired" (Cat5E with RJ45) to conect to that "hub". A "wired" Internet setup is called a "star topology" because each device connects back to the center, like the rays of light coming from a star. No splices, no daisy chain.

Over time, router got integrated with "wireless access points" (WAP). One box doing two jobs. Now a days, router have mostly been replaced by "switches". Without getting into the details, switches are basically very fast routers. Some have WAP built in some don't.

Dozens and dozens to choose from. Mine are over 10 years old and still work perfect.

I hope I did not confuse you even more.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your reply. I built a casita next to my lot. As part of building the casita, I ran a lot of cat 5e. All of it terminates at an equipment rack. That is where the router (and a switch) live. One of the runs I put in is from the equipment rack to the RV post. So, now the goal is to get the signal from the cat5 at the post, into the Ventana. It is that wiring run that I need help with. Where is the easiest place to run a cat5e wire from any of the inside locations (dinette, bedroom, or av cabinet overhead) to some inconspicuous location outside the coach (i.e. in some bay).
Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Where is your A.V. cabinet? If over the front, run the cable fro under the front of the Motorhome, up the “A” post ( the plastic finisher that covers the area vertically next to the windshield. Put a water tight box below to plug into from the pole.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Sorry just reread your post, over the drivers seat, definitely the way I described will be your easiest in my opinion.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Now a days, router have mostly been replaced by "switches". Without getting into the details, switches are basically very fast routers.
This won't help the OP, but routers and switches are different beasts, and one has not replaced the other, nor will one replace the other. Routers and switches work at different layers of the OSI network model (routers at layer 3, switches at layer 2) and perform different, important functions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

You are correct though that devices commonly incorporate functions of layer 2 (ethernet and wifi) along with layer 3 (routing) for home- and SOHO-targeted devices.
stemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

Stuart--
Thank You. Tow follow up questions. First, when I remove that cover, will it be fairly easy to get back on or am I looking at a genie out of the bottle situation? Second, will it be obvious with that cover off how the wires are exiting the bottom of the coach?

Thanks Again.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willlbur View Post
Stuart--

Thank You. Tow follow up questions. First, when I remove that cover, will it be fairly easy to get back on or am I looking at a genie out of the bottle situation? Second, will it be obvious with that cover off how the wires are exiting the bottom of the coach?

Thanks Again.

The cover comes off pretty easy, the wires will most likely exit through the Fire wall out to under the hood, look for foam sealant with wires going through. Poke a hole in the foam and push wire through. It would be easier to run the wire and then install the end, just need a bigger hole for the end to pass through

Tags
cat, vent, ventana, wiring