RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cat Gen set

Anyone else have an cat gen set? We have an 06 KSDP 3910 with an 8kw cat gen set and can't seem to find out how to service or change the air filter. There is no slide out and access is difficult!

Angela1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

I have an '04, KSDP, 3904 with a PowerTech/CAT diesel gen set. I have yet to locate the air filter. The access panel allows barely enough room for my hand let alone proper access to the gen engine. I'll be doing another maintenance on it in a couple of weeks with a mechanic friend of mine. I'll post the outcome if I can finally get at the air filter. The PowerTech manual only provides a limited amount of info.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Bill,
Sounds like we have exactly the same gen set and the same problem. Looking forward to hearing if you find a way to get to the air filter. Have you had someone else service it before? It seems that the only way to get even limited access would be from underneath the coach.
Angela1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Found the air filter!!!

I found the location of the air filter but I'm sorry that I did! I called PowerTech and spoke with a tech named "Jeff" and he confirmed that the filter was in one of only two positions. Mine and probably yours is located on the top, rear portion of the genset in a black enclosed cylinder where it is virtually impossible to get at. The second location is said to be on the lower right as you look at the genset and is accessable thru a removable plate (seperate from the oil change access). Anyway, the only way to get at the genset air filter is by "dropping" the set out of its fixed position and trying to get at it. Good luck with that idea! There are supposed to be two (2) brackets that hold the filter housing in place. I could barely get my hand to the one bracket that I could actually see and forget any chance of actually turning the clamp/screw with any tool.
My RV is at Cummins Power South in Riviera Beach, FL for a engine belt problem. When I go back to pick it up I'm going to confirm with them as to what they would do to service the air filter. I'm almost afraid to find out!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #5

The Owners manual for the 2005 KSDP says the generator is mounted on a slide. You have to unlock and pull it out for service. Per the Generator Operators Manual (http://powertech-gen.com/wp-content/...AL-TYPE-MB.pdf), the access panel (pdf page 37) is on the passenger side of the generator. The generator owners manual (pdf page 13) also says the P/N for the Air filter is 04FA221. Searching the Power tech website it says that P/N 04FA221 (Power Technology Southeast Inc — Kubota Air Filter for 5-12kw Metal Canisters) is contained in Small Metal Air Cleaner Housing P/N 04AC42503 (Power Technology Southeast Inc — Small Metal Air Cleaner Housing).

That information will at least assist you in identifing where the air cleaner assembly is once you can access the inside of the generator enclousure.

The 2004 KSDP Owners manual/brouchure does not indicate if the generator is on a slide. If not, then you may just have to drop the unit. At 515lbs, that would not be a fun project. Then again, by looking at the brochure, the front end access hatch reminds me of a slide assembly. You would know better than I ever would.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #6

Thanks Dave78Chief for the part numbers. Now, if only there was a reasonable way to remove and replace the filter. In '04,Newmar did not provide a slide type genset for the kountryStar. Just my luck. If I knew then what I know now I would have probably opted for a Dutch Star with the slide out genset(and a side radiator) but thats another story.Hard lessons learned.
As I stated earlier,I'll talk to the service folks at Cummins where the RV is now and see if "dropping" the genset is doable/affordable. That filter has GOT to be changed!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #7

Bill,
I can feel your pain. In your case I would be thinking real serious about an inside access hatch of some sort. Trying to man handle a 515lb generator to perform general preventive maintenance is simply outragous.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat