Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
caught in a snowstorm

I'm caught in a snowstorm in west Texas. Everything is going well but the furnace just kicked on when the heat pumps are supposed to be running off the generator. Is there any instance when these both run at the same time. And could snow on the penguin unit cause this problem. We are fine but I don't want this to turn into a nightmare as I am low on propane and intended to stay warm with the heat pumps. Thanks folks
tnsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

Some systems are set-up such that when the difference between the temperature in the coach and the temperature that you set on the thermostat is greater than 2 degrees then the second source of heat kicks in. The thermostat controls this function with a separate wire (T2). (T1 controls the heat pump).
This is done such that when the heat pumps can't keep up the auxiliary source is used.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

You say it's snowing so the outside temp is to low for the heat pumps to work. Mine are useless when the temp gets below 36 degrees.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
tnsteele heat pumps do not work much below freezeing so I would not count on them keeping you warm. Hope you can find propane soon good luck,
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I keep a few small ceramic heaters in my coach they work well and heat very good. I have them just in-case I can't find propane. Hope all goes well for you be safe.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your outside temp's are below about 42° the heat pump will not do the job and your system probably transferred you over to the furnace.

Check your thermostat and if it has a digital readout make sure you select the heat pump and not the auto mode
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsteele View Post
I'm caught in a snowstorm in west Texas. Everything is going well but the furnace just kicked on when the heat pumps are supposed to be running off the generator. Is there any instance when these both run at the same time. And could snow on the penguin unit cause this problem. We are fine but I don't want this to turn into a nightmare as I am low on propane and intended to stay warm with the heat pumps. Thanks folks
tnsteele, your Newmar most likely has Duo-Therm Penguin or Brisk-Air heat pumps with the Comfort Control Center, here's a quote from the DuoTherm Heat Pump service manual page 23 that explains what is happening:

"When in the HEAT PUMP mode, if the outside ambient
temperature is measured to be below 24°F, the control will
automatically select the FURNACE operation. When this
happens, the AUX. HEAT and the HEAT PUMP indicators
on the LCD will illuminate. Once the outside ambient temperature
is measured above 34°F, the control will return to
the HEAT PUMP operation."

The manual happens to be from the 4 button Comfort Control Center, we have the 5 button and it does the same thing. As previous posters have said, it is a good idea to have some ceramic heaters to help keep the rig warm, we find that using two running on the genny keeps our 34' motor home toasty in below freezing weather without running the LP furnace.

Keep in mind that the LP furnace heats the compartments with plumbing and tanks in them also, so make sure you have some trouble lights or some other heat source in them to keep them warm if you're not using it.

Good Luck!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #8

my unit has the same systems and if they heat pumps can not keep the temp above 45 then the furnace kicks on auto if you have warm clothes suit up let the heat run then turn it off when it gets really cold crawl out of that warm bed and fire the heat up till it warms then shut it down again we had to do that in west va this fall any place that had propane rolled the streets up at 6 we have now move the lil heaters that was mentioned to the closet from the old winnie.
sorry for your trouble but you will have a good story to tell at camp fires in the furure. may God take you and keep you and He wpnt put more on than you can handle. Ask Him for Help
gregbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
My coach has the hydro hot system system for furnace. So does this mean if there is a question of the weather getting to cold for the penquins, that I would have to keep my diesel burner on so it would transfer to the furnace??
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dav here is a education in your heating systems more info in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav-cle View Post
My coach has the hydro hot system system for furnace. So does this mean if there is a question of the weather getting to cold for the penquins, that I would have to keep my diesel burner on so it would transfer to the furnace??

Yes, if your system automatically cuts off the heat pumps and turns on the hyrohot. The electrical burner does not provide enough heat to heat the coach so you will have to use the diesel burner.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #12

whao, i just love irv2, as it teaches me so much about my unit and rv'ing as a whole. i now know that i need to try and keep my lp and my fuel tank, somewhat above empty. we usaully run till bout empty before refueling trying to make miles. i guess i need to explain to mb that we need to slow down and smell the roses, and at least stay fueled. i guess i have learned here that anything can happen and that is just a new thing to consider. tkz
gregbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is cold enough to be snowing, your heat pumps should be shut down. They do not work much below 40 degF. This should be explained in the manuals fro the unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote