RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Caulking issues on Newmar Fiberglass roofs?

I currently have a Itasca Horizon (Winnebago) motor home and the roof to side wall seam must be inspected and re-caulked on a regular basis, every one to two years for re-caulking.

I am considering the purchase of a 2012 Dutchstar with fiberglass roof. Do the Newmar fiberglass roofs have similar roof maintenance issues?

LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Yes.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Suncruiser where the rounded edge of the fiberglass roof would lift out of the channel and is a frequent problem with this type of roof for Winnebago and Itasca. I had about 20 feet of the roof lift out of the channel. The solution was to put sealant in the channel to hold the roof in place. Is this what you are referring to? If it is, Newmar does not suffer from this problem. However, all roofs need periodic maintenance to the caulking.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #4

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to. On Winnebago products, you must inspect and re-caulk the roof to sidewall seam on an annual basis. I cannot do this myself and have to hire someone. To do it correctly has costs me as much as $500. I was hoping to avoid that with my next coach.

How are the Newmar fiberglass roofs different?
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If I remember correctly there is a metal strip that runs the length of each side of the roof. The metal strip is attach by screws about every foot and caulking covers the screws. Being familiar with the Itasca problem that was the first thing I looked for when I got on the roof before purchasing my Dutch Star. There is no way for that problem to occur on the Newmar. Periodic(annual) inspection is required on roof seams and attachments since the caulking deteriorates over time, and that's for any RV.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Newmar uses a flat piece of fiberglass with an aluminum piece that is the curved piece between the roof and side wall.

It needs no special attention.

The periodic maintenance involves inspecting all caulked areas and recaulking the areas that need it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Newmar uses a flat piece of fiberglass with an aluminum piece that is the curved piece between the roof and side wall.

It needs no special attention.

The periodic maintenance involves inspecting all caulked areas and recaulking the areas that need it.
Thanks Dirk, its been awhile since I paid any attention to that aspect of the roof design, I just know that Newmar doesn't suffer the same problem as Itasca in that area.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
LK23, If its a Fiberglass or Brit-Tex they are all assembled the same. Stainless steel strips with screws through the sidewall wrap and roof.
Have had three Newmars never had a roof separation problem even on the end caps as some MH's have experienced.
I'm in the process of resealing all my seams on 8 year old coach checked the roof and other than some dried sealant roof is in excellent condition. May use tape on roof seams or just new sealant have not decided yet.
Every spring I wash the roof and maybe in fall again because of pine trees on property. Looks as good as new after wash.
Check all the following videos and see Newmar construction.
Maybe early welcome to the Newmar family.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote