Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Caution...Roof Rail Flew Off while Driving!

Today we were driving to Houston from the Texas Hill Country in our 16 DS 4369 we purchased new in April 16.
Driving in 15mph wind, not too bad really and going east on IH 10.
We were hearing some buffeting up on the roof, but this had occurred before with Max Air covers on vents without issue (in higher winds). Thought that was the problem.

Anyway, while driving, happened to catch my outside mirror in time to see my Driver Side Roof Rail flying through the air going West Bound!

A Holy S*#t moment for sure. It went into the air over a vehicle without hitting anything and landed in the grass median. Couldn't stop right away but several miles up stopped at a rest stop to assess the situation.
Of course it was gone and only remained the 3 brackets that once held it in.
When we got to our RV park, got on the roof to check the rest of the rails and also attempt to determine where the fail was. On our model, there are 2 self tapping screws on the top and two on the sides of the bracket. It appears the fiberglass that the rail is made of that wraps to the bracket had a failure as part of the fiberglass was still attached to the top brackets. Not sure if it was over tourqued and cracked and over time got bigger or what. Called Newmar once we stopped. My warranty was no longer in active but wanted them to know that I was "in shock" that this happened at all. It seemed like the service rep was as stunned. I did ask if this was something they would consider replacing or fixing. He was going to consult with his superiors and get back to me.
We also checked the other rails for fit and security and all seemed fine. But when we were on the ladder we also noticed that almost all brackets that hold the slide toppers were loose and needed tightening.

I post this because my coach will be 2 years old in April. I have 20k miles on it.
While this may not be a typical model issue, ( I have not heard of this before) most of the newer models all have roof rails. I believe folks should consider making these items part of a regular maintenance check even if you have someone else get up there to do it.
The potential for danger to others may be avoided and it was pure luck that no one got hurt. Now I just have a coach that looks stupid with one rail missing.

I will be sending Newmar some photos of the brackets and what remains of the bolts etc. and post any new news.

Safe travel all. You never know about these things. Thought I seen a lot of crazy things with all our coaches in the last 8 years. This one probably beats most of them.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would be interesting to see some pics.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #3

Thank goodness it did not go thought someone’s windshield plus the fact it could have really damaged you coach if it didn’t break off. Seems to me this is structure and should be covered by some type of warranty,there’s nothing you did to create the problem.

Regards Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #4

Had the same thing happen to me also. Coincidentally in Texas too. The coach had been in service before I picked it up and later remembered seeing a scuff mark on the fiberglass. My thought was it may have hit something while in service which cracked some of the fiberglass mounts.

Bottomline to replace the false awning cost was $1700 plus $500 to paint. Took about 6 weeks to get the part from Newmar. The design had changed slightly since my coach was manufactured but the current version still worked. Glued and screwed down new one on existing mounts. My awning was 18 feet 6 in. long so make sure to ship it to someplace where they can paint it. Due to its length, need to be careful not to crack it while moving / installing.
Cummins X15
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok. Not clear on what a roof rail is. Awning mount?
Four MH’s over 30 years must have missed that one, don’t want to see it blow off to find out. Seems pretty serious.
Thanks any info
Old 02-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

What the OP is talking about, are the false awnings/covers, on the DS of the later coaches. you can see the mountings in the picture. I will check mine when I'm up on the roof this weekend.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2b60f7ca8a1c1c05597ab4e266b3b17e.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	512.9 KB
ID:	193239  
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #7

Yes, it is the trim piece that runs lengthwise on the coach. There are two to a side. They are about 8 inches high and are mounted to brackets on the roof. They are used to cover the ac units on the roof. If you have ever climbed up on your roof from the side, it is the trim piece you have to get over to get up on the roof.
Cummins X15
Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #8

Here is a picture of the roof mounts and the area where false awning was located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	essex false awning.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	193261  
Cummins X15
Old 02-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club