Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

CB Installation

Good Afternoon,
Has anyone installed a CB? Where did you mount the unit? How about the antenna?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

All the best and thank you

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cb was in my 1999 Dutchstar when We bought it 6 yrs ago. Used it once in a Texas traffic jam on I10. Dont waste you money. Unless you travel with a group that might use them. Mounted on left side if steering column with mile on hook on left side panel just below window.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff my DS came with the Cobra compact. It hangs on the dash, but to tell the truth I haven't used it in two years. I never seemed to find fellow RVers on it and trucker channels had become trashy. Now most truckers have moved on to other systems. Remember even on a good days CB radios have limited range.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
Good Afternoon,

Jeff and Lynn
There's a good link here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f55/cb-ra...vs-348413.html

Thanks.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
Good Afternoon,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff, I have a handheld Cobra CB that works pretty good. It has a small 12" magnetic antenna but I don't put it on. A few times in the past year we have got stuck in standstill traffic and I have turned it on. I sometimes get a little traffic from truckers within .5 miles or so. To be honest the I-phone app Waze usually gives about as much info about what is happening up ahead when these types of situations come up.

My Cobra has rechargeable batteries and probably only cost about $100 or $125. Even though I don't use it much I still like having it available.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Installing a CB is not hard, but putting up a good working antenna is all about compromises, and deciding about drilling holes.

Once your CB is up and running, you will be disappointed. Virtually no RVers are on CB and there is no monitoring channel. Virtually all trucker run high power CB's (illegal power) which means while you can hear them miles away, but they will not hear you unless you are really close.

If you still want to install one, Velcro is your friend. Modern CBs are small and weigh little. Velcro, will stay put, and can re removed vs. drilling holes.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jeff426,
Without opinion and to answer your OP the success is all in the antenna. Consider a no ground plane antenna (for mounting where there is no metal). To see my installation go to:
CB Antenna - 3' Firestick No Ground Plane Needed - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Cobra_75_WX_ST_CB_Radio - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
CB Radio External Speaker With Ear Bud Jack - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
No Ground Plane Antenna - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
The external speaker has a plug so I can have an ear piece so only I can hear what is being said. The company to purchase the antenna and accessories from is Firestik at CATALOG Main Page (Frame Setup) I have a 3' no ground plane antenna with no ground plane antenna wire. The antenna and wire must match. Once installed the antenna and radio must be tuned to each other. An SWR meter is rewired. 2/3 the antenna must be above the roof line. Firestik antennas are easy to tune. My radio reliably transmits many miles. One can thcek this by conversing with a commercial vendor. They will tell you where they are (exit number). You know where you are.

For me the CB has value.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #8

Thank you very much for your responses, they are very helpful! We have been told that communications on the ALCan are sketchy at best and the use of a CB could be very helpful! That’s why the interest.
Thank you again

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

I installed a new Cobra CB while renovating the MA. Installed on the lower part of the dash and put an external speaker on the left arm rest near the seat. Microphone was mounted on the left arm rest near the headlight switch (but out of the way).
Like others have said, no value yet. No discernible conversations of interest the few times I have tried to use it. I put it in for emergency purposes just in case while I was wiring up a bunch of other stuff and to play with it if driving alone to keep the mind moving. The antenna was already there so that's most of the work. CB was cheap - about $140 or so.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

No Drill CB Radio and Antenna installation
Motor Home with drivers side slide out

My buddy and I who travel together wanted something that offered instant communication and that meant a CB radio. But neither of us wanted to drill holes in our coach's.
Well, we worked up a plan and just this last weekend installed CB's and we are now writing up a PDF to share for those who want a CB but don't want to drill holes.
Wrangler338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler338 View Post

My buddy and I who travel together wanted something that offered instant communication and that meant a CB radio. But neither of us wanted to drill holes in our coach's.
Well, we worked up a plan and just this last weekend installed CB's and we are now writing up a PDF to share for those who want a CB but don't want to drill holes.
Woohoo!! Looking forward to seeing that! Perhaps some pic's too? (I know..I'm greedy!)

TIA
Old 11-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #12

Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield's Avatar

Instruction for no drill CB antenna mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler338 View Post

INSTRUCTIONS

Motor Home with driver’s side slide out

PARTS LIST
• 22 gauge 3ft X 3ft metal – not aluminum, needs to be magnetic
• RV roof calking
• Two sided 3M tape
• Wilson magnetic CB antenna (Model #)
• White spray paint or color to match roof
• Denatured alcohol
• CB radio

I started this project when I decided I was not going to drill holes in my new diesel
pusher motorhome as I did in my old Class A gasser for a CB radio.
A buddy of mine who also had purchased a new diesel pusher felt the same way so we
begin looking for ways to communicate while traveling down the highway.
None of the hand held type FM radios worked consistently nor our cell phones. The
drawback to the cell phones are you don’t have instant communications and there are
still areas in the United States that may have dead zones.
I watched a YouTube video one day and saw an individual was using a 12” X 12” piece
of galvanized metal has a base for a magnetic CB antenna on his RV but he still drilled
the hole to run the coax cable.
Then the light bulb came on, why could we not attach that metal plate on top of the RV
near the driver side slide out, and then run the coax cable through the rubber side seals
of the slide-out portion and into the interior of the coach.
We then contacted a ham radio shop and talk to an expert about our idea and the size of
metal plate we would need that would work properly with a magnetic CB antenna. The
conclusion was nothing smaller than a 3‘ x 3‘ square of galvanized metal.
So here is how we did it.
We started off by cleaning both sides of the metal plate with denatured alcohol,
scrubbed both sides clean. We then painted both sides with white spray paint. This was
done to help protect the metal from rusting.
We then used the 3M two-sided tape on the side to be facing down on the roof. We ran
the tape along each side approximately 1 inch from the edge of the metal plate. We also
ran tape from each corner to make an X for extra adhesiveness of the metal plate.
Next came the roof prepping. We washed the roof with soap and water in the area where
we would be placing the galvanized metal sheet. After drying we then used denatured
alcohol in that same area.
Then we removed the film from the two-sided tape and positioned the metal plate on the
roof. Walking on the metal plate also helps the tape to make contact with the roofing
material.
We then used Dicor self leveling roof caulk generously applied to seal the edges of the metal plate to the roof. You want to be sure to cover all the edges of the metal plate so air cannot get under the plate and cause it to lift and fly off.
We chose not to use metal screws to hold the metal plate in position feeling that its
located on top of the roof would be far enough away from the front that no air would be
able to get up underneath it to lift it. This will be check periodically during our travels to
see if we will need to use metal screws.
Next is the CB antenna.
We chose the Wilson brand which comes with approximately a little over 15 feet of
coaxial cable.
We placed the antenna in the middle of the metal sheet and ran the coaxial cable to the
front portion of the drivers side slide out. You can use some of the roofing caulk or
silicone to hold the cable down as your running it off the roof towards the slide out.
To hold the cable in position we used some more of the two-sided tape and we’ll go back
and put silicone as extra hold for the cable.
We then ran the cable inside the rubber seal for the slide out until we passed it through
to the interior.
In the interior of the coach, we again use some two-sided tape to hold the cable as it was
ran from the interior portion of the slide out towards the CB radio.
Once you pass the coaxial cable into the coach interior the cable will dictate the position
of your CB radio. I chose mount my CB radio to the left of the drivers seat. He chose to
place his in the center console between the front seats.
After the mount has been completed, be sure to check the SWR of the antenna to
ensure it is tuned for maximum efficiency. Tuning the SWR means lengthening or
shortening the antenna for a reading of 2.0 or less. A reading more than 2.0 can
seriously affect your signal.
We hope this write up will be helpful.
Roy Bertolucci
Paul Dumke

2016 Thor Tuscany 40GQ
Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #13

Here are some photos of the installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	226110   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	226111  

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	226112   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	226113  

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	226114  
Wrangler338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #14

WOW! Awesome! Thanks for the write up and the pics! Great job.

Tags
install