RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ceiling return air filters

Anyone changed out the black foam filters in ceiling return air grills to something better?

Thanks,
terry

2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No. Haven't changed them out. We Just keep them clean and they do the job. Bought a few extras from Newmar just to have on hand.
Just wondering, Have you been having a problem with them? What better result would you hope to see from some other product? Just curious. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure there is anything better. Can probably find a filter that stops smaller particulate matter, but it will also then reduce the amount of air that can get through. Will the reduced amount of air cause a problem? Don't know. When I had the basement acnd in a winnebago it did. Factory told me to not use the filter I had and to keep it the same as they supplied.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

X2 on keeping them clean. I bought some filter material that does a better job and hasn't posed any issues. Got it at Home Depot and cut to size. The black original filters were not cut to fit the grill, I thought they allowed a lot of dust to get into the system.

Since we started using the new filter material we have noticed a reduction in the dust settling on furniture. Good luck on your decision.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Reducing the airflow by increasing the restriction would almost certainly be a problem for ductwork that is already marginal. What you would notice at its worst would be a frozen up coil. I checked my coil recently on my 2005 MADP. No accumulated dust on the coil fins after all these years using the factory original.

Just as a tip, you can buy a sheet of your filter material at most heating and air conditioning supply houses that will make all the replacements you will need for a long time. It is a bulk sheet used in many window air conditioners, probably 24"X36".
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do have extra foam filters that I purchased at NewMar of one of my many Vists. Just polling to see if there was something better out there in NewMar land.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the coil freezing up. From experience I will admit that I missed cleaning the filters once when Zi should have and the front A/C unit did not get enough airflow over the coil. Just happy I figured out what was going on before any real damage was done. I've seen the type material that others have mentioned and it is good to know that there are some alternatives out there. The key message seems to be that we shouldn't 't be doing anything that further restricts airflow though the system. Safe travels!
Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just went to a local store and bought a sheet of the filter material and cut new ones. I still washed them out and reused them as necessary.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #9

I use the stock ones too-- just have an extra set and swap them out when needed and then wash the ones I took out for the next iteration.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I use the stock ones too-- just have an extra set and swap them out when needed and then wash the ones I took out for the next iteration.
Same thing here. Bought extra from Newmar (at 10 a piece) change them out as needed, wash and let them dry, ready for the next time, it's all good.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
10 each? That's a no brainer!

Tags
ceiling