Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ceiling rope lights quit working

I have a 2004 Mountain Aire with 4 strings of rope lites across the ceiling in the living area and 2 across the ceiling in the bedroom. Several years ago one of the strings in the bedroom quit working but would come on if I used my fist to beat on the ceiling. Then for some unexplained reason, it started working again and have had no problems since. However, now one of the strings in the living area has quit and no amount of beating on the ceiling will cause it to come back on ... its been off for over a year.

Anyone out there ever experienced this? Any suggestions are appreciated. From what I understand, replacement of a string isn't as easy as one would expect.
Big10Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #2

I guess I am unsure what you are asking. I know you know it is a bad connection since it would come on when beating on the ceiling and needs to be looked at, cleaned and reconnected. Are you asking how to get to it or if it's a bad connection?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Ya, I read you loud and clear. Bedroom lights have never gave me any trouble but the living room lights are down to one string working. I tried beating them also and got the same results. This has been 7 years ago, got new lights from Newmar, and seem to find something more important to do. If and when I get into it I'll get back with you. Sorry, but that's all I can offer at this time.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #4

I had to rewire one of the bedroom rope ends inside the upper cabinet last year. That was pretty easy because the access was pretty easy. I always dread a problem with the ropes in the living room. Looks like you will have to remove the crown molding to see how they are wired. Please post what you end up doing.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The wheat lights seem to blow as they age some people have hit the strip with a wooden spoon, back of spoon, by snapping the spoon against the light and the rest of the lights would work.
Hitting the ceiling surface may cause bigger problems down the road.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

Tapping ours has worked so far. Just did it last night. This is for short sections 6 or 8 inches long. Doubt it will work for the entire string. It does no damage to the ceiling since you are only hitting the seam and not the panels.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone found a LED replacement. I know it would be difficult to do, but those would last forever.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

We had 2 rows of lights go out in the front of our Essex. Check the switch and it was OK. Thought it won't be hard to replace the 2 rows so order them from Newmar. After many hours of trying to find the wires behind the crown molding on passengers side with no luck, rewired replacement lights from the switch to the replace lights. Good luck finding the wires for the lights when they are all together with at least 50 other wires tied together. If doing again I would just rewire new rope lights from the switch on or just leave them alone.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, lights