RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Cell Phone Charging Pads

I have a ‘19 Dutch Star with the built in cell charging pads. I have an iPhone 7 so I know mine won’t work, but my DW has an iPhone 8. Hers won’t charge on the pads. We have removed the cell phone cover and still nothing. I know the pads work as I have had several people put their phones on the pads and they work! Any solutions out there? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I found this info...…

1. Restart Your iPhone
The first thing to do when wireless charging is not working on your iPhone is to restart your iPhone. Restarting your iPhone can sometimes fix minor software issues and glitches which could be preventing it from charging wirelessly.
First, turn off your iPhone by pressing and holding the power button until you see slide to power off appear on the display. Then, swipe the red power icon from left to right to turn off your iPhone. If you have an iPhone X, the process is similar, except you’ll hold down the left and right side buttons simultaneously.
Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the power button (right Side button on iPhone X) once again to turn your iPhone back on. Let go of the button when you see the Apple logo appear in the center of your iPhone’s display.

2. Hard Reset Your iPhone
If your iPhone is completely unresponsive when you place it on the wireless charging pad, you may need to perform a hard reset. A hard reset will force your iPhone to quickly turn off and back on, which can temporarily fix the problem if your iPhone is not charging wirelessly.
To hard reset your iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, press and hold the volume down button and the power button. Keep holding both buttons until the Apple logo appears on the center of the display.
Hard reseting an iPhone X is a little different and a three step process. Quickly press the volume up button, then quickly press the volume down button, then press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.
Don’t be surprised if you have to hold down the volume down and power button (iPhone 8 and 8 Plus) or the Side button (iPhone X) for 15–30 seconds!

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

Thanks Don. I will give that a try. Makes sense. You’re down to just a few days! Good stuff. Jim
Old 11-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #4

I spent $20 on a fast charging stand for my new iPhone Xr. It charges the phone vertically and horizontally, even with the case on, and being at 60 degrees you can actually use the phone while it is charging as face-id works also. I have always had an issue with built-in technology as there is no way they can keep up with technology. One reason I use a separate GPS unit. If your iPhone 8 is running IOS 12 you may want to upgrade to 12.1, that came out yesterday, as that fixed some charging issues.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know the new charging pad is a slick idea, but I'm thinking, it won't be all that useful for me. When I'm driving during the day, my phone is usually close to fully charged. When I'm not driving, the phone will be too far away from where I'm sitting and probably still fully charged. We bought charging pads for our 2014 DS which we placed at the dinette. When parked at a campground, the phones will be on our person. At night, I like phone at the dinette, so if it rings during the middle of the night, it's just outside the bedroom door.

With that said, I'll be removing the driver's side charging pad, so I can install my laptop, running SilverLeaf VMSpc, there. I'll save it for resale, but by then, it'll probably be obsolete.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #6

I had to move my 8 around a bit to find the sweet spot ,my work Android is worse but still if it’s in the sweet spot it will charge.
Kevkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have found that if you place the phone on the pad covering the light, then slide the phone to the outline on the pad -- it works every time. My iPhone is in a Otter Box case and DW is in a plastic fashion case.
Just a thought
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #8

They are a little sensitive on placement. Both of mine actually needed replacing but initially power cycling them fixed one of them (battery disconnect is easiest way).

Tags
charging