Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Central Vacuum clogged

Our central vacuum doesn't seem to have much suction. We'll blame it on our constantly shedding, always loyal dog. We've changed the bag but believe hair is stuck somewhere in the middle. Any suggestions to clearing it out?
FirstTimerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimerNY View Post
Our central vacuum doesn't seem to have much suction. We'll blame it on our constantly shedding, always loyal dog. We've changed the bag but believe hair is stuck somewhere in the middle. Any suggestions to clearing it out?
Always check the hose and bits that you connect to the inlet first. Keep it simple.

Attach a few long strips of the hook side of Velcro, like a stringy Pom Pom to the end of an electrical fish tape and shove it through. You want to avoid making it too heavy to avoid pulling on flexible sections or getting it stuck.

You can also try tying the Velcro glob to a heavy duty line and suck that into the system and pull back out.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just happened to see your post in the "Recent discussions" box. When I was in business we sold central vacuum systems for homes. The pipe in the walls was larger than the hose, so anything that was gonna clog the system would normally clog the hose. Not sure if that's true with RV systems. You can use a garden hose and run the male end through the hose to clean it out. I won't be following this thread, but hope this helps!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Did you make sure that you took the extra bags out of the actual vacuum. For some reason they store the extra bags in the vacuum housing. I know you said you changed bags but you may have just went and bought some not knowing they give you extra ones. Our suction was very weak at first, but we took the vacuum apart and found the extra bags stored under the attached bag. Took them out and it has worked great since.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
There is a floor sweep opening under the hose connection. Make sure it's fully closed.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I haven't looked in awhile, but I believe there is a white filter pad at the back of the filter box. After you remove the bag, look in there for a second bag as noted above and make sure there isn't a square filter pad in there.

Check this website, it has a picture of the secondary filter pad in the unit at the back. RV Central Vac - H-P Central Vacuum Accessories
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimerNY View Post
Thinking you have surely checked to be sure all the connections are good

Not on the outside but inside, behind the wall - normally they are just taped - often the tape will come loose and cause you to lose suction.

https://www.amazon.com/Wesy-Multi-Pu...ct%2Fhvac+tape - if not this at least this type/quality.

IMHO if you look you will likely find lose connections and/or holes in the line.

I've repaired mine and was surprised at the number or repairs needed -especially at the main connection on the floor.

This tape is now in my tool box - and you will be amazed at the uses you will find for it.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote