Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #1

Century Heat Transfer Fluid changes color

It has been mentioned many times that you are not supposed to mix brands of heat transfer fluid in your Oasis heating system.

I thought that happened to me as the fluid had become very dark. (Mixed fluids are often described as muddy). Even the dealer thought the system needed to be flushed.

I just confirmed with International Thermal Research (ITR) that the Century Chemical TF1 Transfer Fluid will change from a greenish yellow color to a caramel color over time. ITR also stated the fluid did NOT need to be changed.

I have to say ITR has the most responsive customer service. Simply top notch support. Just saved me $1200 dollars.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Around here the pink full strength Camco fluid is $15 a gallon and you dilute it with distilled water. The Century fluid is almost $50 a gallon and is used full strength. Luckily my AquaHot has the Camco.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #3

This is what the fluid looked like

So much for using color to determine manufacturer. This stuff was originally a greenish Yellow...

Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Around here the pink full strength Camco fluid is $15 a gallon and you dilute it with distilled water. The Century fluid is almost $50 a gallon and is used full strength. Luckily my AquaHot has the Camco.
Try $25 on Amazon.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:23 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Our "Older model" AquaHot still used the regular antifreeze coolant..
(100-02s)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
So much for using color to determine manufacturer. This stuff was originally a greenish Yellow...

Mine was a similar color too, but had a sticker on the overflow bottle stating to use Century fluid
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #7

Oasis

I agree ITR has the best customer service of any company I have dealt with involving an RV and most other companies.
My dealer mixed the fluids then told me I had to have the system flushed. It turned "muddy" brown. I composed a letter to Newmar, but did not send it, stating I would flush the system since the dealer's service department caused the problem. I presented the letter to the owner of the dealership. Told him I needed 17 gallons of Century fluid. Told him I would flush the system and he should pay for the fluid. I paid for the pump, hoses and bucket.
A few days later, I picked up the fluid at the dealer. No charge to me.
I flushed the system. (ITR has a great video on YouTube on how to do it. Thirty seconds into the video, it states mixing will make the fluid "muddy brown")
I would flush the system then blow air through the lines to push the last of the fluid out. Flushed and purged with air 17 times until nothing but clear water came out. Took almost 6 hours. The system works better than new. Water is hotter. Being FT, the system gets a lot of use.
The pictures above do not appear to be "muddy" brown. When mixed it will look like chocolate milk.
Good luck and be safe.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:32 AM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post

I just confirmed with International Thermal Research (ITR) that the Century Chemical TF1 Transfer Fluid will change from a greenish yellow color to a caramel color over time. ITR also stated the fluid did NOT need to be changed.
We were full time untill recently, just under two years, so our system got a lot of use. The dealer sold me a bottle of the green Century Transfer Fluid the day I picked up my motor home. They told me not to use anything else in the system. No one has added any fluid except me and it has changed to a carmel color.

I had the ITR rep service our system at the Hoots rally last month. He told me that we were not the only ones at the rally that had dark fluid and had claimed to only add the proper fluid. He said for me to call him in a couple weeks he was going to talk to people back at the shop. I have not called him yet.

Thank you for passing this information on!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a thread to read through http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/camc...id-336881.html then in post #11 by Brobox, click on the link in his post and sit back and do some reading. A lot of them has changed boiler fluid manufacture due to this problem.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #10

Century Heat Transfer Fluid changes color

I guess the key take-away is that the Transfer Fluid does NOT need to be changed. Apparently the color change does not affect performance.

I still might do a purge just to see if there is any air in the system, but there shouldn’t be.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #11

Rhogard Boiler Fluid

Around 2012, the Oasis in our Dutch Star was filled with Rhogard which, again, is not to be mixed with any other boiler fluid. It is blue in color and has not changed color in our coach since 2012.

Rhogard is expensive and only sold by plumbing and A/C outlets in 5 gallon containers although Newmar does repackage it 1 gallon jugs.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Try $25 on Amazon.
Camco is $7.50 a gallon when mixed for use and almost every RV dealer has it in stock.
Century us used as is so $25 a gallon and have to order it or pay far more.

Since you can use either I prefer the easier cheaper one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, heat