RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Changes in Newmars from Model Year to Model Year

I've been scouring the threads, and have read through most of the sticky posts and haven't found exactly what I want to know, so if I've missed something obvious, I apologize.

What would be ideal is a chart that shows the progression of features/technology/etc. by year...For example, Comfort Drive on all diesels (except Ventana LE) starting in 2008, on luxury models prior to that. STAR starting in 2016, frameless windows year x, emergency rear exit year x, etc.

We will be buying a Newmar diesel about a year from now when DH retires and we sell our s&b. We started out thinking we would buy used, but given the short supply and the minuscule amount of price savings on coaches that are 1-4 years old, we may end up having to cough up a bit more money and order a new one.

However, if we were to find a good buy on a used coach, what are some of the things we'd miss out on by going preowned? Is there a list somewhere that shows, by year, the new features/standards, etc., on Newmar's coaches? We will likely end up with either a Ventana or a Ventana LE unless some miracle occurs and we're able to find the deal of the century on a DS or higher. (Doubtful, I realize.)

I'm getting ready to download brochures from past years and start compiling notes on the features...a tedious process. If someone has already done this, could you point me in that direction? Otherwise, I'd appreciate you sharing any/all of the important changes that you are aware of or things to beware of. For instance, in another thread, I asked Newmar owners what their favorite option was on their coach. Many indicated it was their heated floors. This is an option that is not available in 2018 on Ventana or Ventana LE, to my knowledge. Comfort drive was not available on LE until 2016, someone said. These are the kinds of things I would like to know...I realize I'll be able to see some of this when the 2019 specs/order forms become available, but how would a 2016 LE compare to a 2018 as far as standard features, etc.?

Any info you can give me will be much appreciated. If I end up compiling this info, I'll be happy to share it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirl View Post
I've been scouring the threads, and have read through most of the sticky posts and haven't found exactly what I want to know, so if I've missed something obvious, I apologize.

What would be ideal is a chart that shows the progression of features/technology/etc. by year...For example, Comfort Drive on all diesels (except Ventana LE) starting in 2008, on luxury models prior to that. STAR starting in 2016, frameless windows year x, emergency rear exit year x, etc.

We will be buying a Newmar diesel about a year from now when DH retires and we sell our s&b. We started out thinking we would buy used, but given the short supply and the minuscule amount of price savings on coaches that are 1-4 years old, we may end up having to cough up a bit more money and order a new one.

However, if we were to find a good buy on a used coach, what are some of the things we'd miss out on by going preowned? Is there a list somewhere that shows, by year, the new features/standards, etc., on Newmar's coaches? We will likely end up with either a Ventana or a Ventana LE unless some miracle occurs and we're able to find the deal of the century on a DS or higher. (Doubtful, I realize.)

I'm getting ready to download brochures from past years and start compiling notes on the features...a tedious process. If someone has already done this, could you point me in that direction? Otherwise, I'd appreciate you sharing any/all of the important changes that you are aware of or things to beware of. For instance, in another thread, I asked Newmar owners what their favorite option was on their coach. Many indicated it was their heated floors. This is an option that is not available in 2018 on Ventana or Ventana LE, to my knowledge. Comfort drive was not available on LE until 2016, someone said. These are the kinds of things I would like to know...I realize I'll be able to see some of this when the 2019 specs/order forms become available, but how would a 2016 LE compare to a 2018 as far as standard features, etc.?

Any info you can give me will be much appreciated. If I end up compiling this info, I'll be happy to share it.
I don't know of a definitive list but can tell you that our 2015 LE has comfort drive.

Mikenchelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

Yearly changes

I replied in your other thread about some of the new items in 2016 in the Ventana line, but I don't have a quick answer for you about historical changes across the Newmar lines.

However, I just wanted to point out what I think is a significant difference between the Ventana and the Ventana LE - GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating - the motorhome, contents, and everything towed). We found the LE to be capable of a lot less in the amount of weight you could tow behind you (whether a trailer, tow dolly, or 4-flat). If you know you will be towing something behind you, take a critical look at how much the coach can tow once you get it all loaded up with fuel, people, water, and possessions. The GCWR can be reached way before the "tow rating" of the receiver hitch on the back of the motorhome.

Here's a quick example of 2018 models (GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - motorhome and contents)
Ventana LE 3713 has a GVWR of 31,400 and a GCWR of 33,000 (1,600 lb difference)
Ventana LE 4048 has a GVWR of 37,500 and a GCWR of 47,500 (10,000 lb difference)

Ventana 3715 has a GVWR of 37,300 and a GCWR of 47,300 (10,000 lb difference)
Ventana 4049 has a GVWR of 44,000 and a GCWR of 59,000 (15,000 lb difference)
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
I replied in your other thread about some of the new items in 2016 in the Ventana line, but I don't have a quick answer for you about historical changes across the Newmar lines.

However, I just wanted to point out what I think is a significant difference between the Ventana and the Ventana LE - GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating - the motorhome, contents, and everything towed). We found the LE to be capable of a lot less in the amount of weight you could tow behind you (whether a trailer, tow dolly, or 4-flat). If you know you will be towing something behind you, take a critical look at how much the coach can tow once you get it all loaded up with fuel, people, water, and possessions. The GCWR can be reached way before the "tow rating" of the receiver hitch on the back of the motorhome.

Here's a quick example of 2018 models (GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - motorhome and contents)
Ventana LE 3713 has a GVWR of 31,400 and a GCWR of 33,000 (1,600 lb difference)
Ventana LE 4048 has a GVWR of 37,500 and a GCWR of 47,500 (10,000 lb difference)

Ventana 3715 has a GVWR of 37,300 and a GCWR of 47,300 (10,000 lb difference)
Ventana 4049 has a GVWR of 44,000 and a GCWR of 59,000 (15,000 lb difference)
Yes! That is precisely the kind of information every buyer should know. I was just cruising the threads on towing so this is quite timely, and definitely crucial. DH and I have been discussing what might make the best toad vehicle. I hate his manual transmission Mustang and I have read horror stories about towing Jeep Grand Cherokees (my car).

It's a good thing we have a year...there is so much to research. I just hope I don't psych myself out with all of the things to decide and consider.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenchelby View Post
I don't know of a definitive list but can tell you that our 2015 LE has comfort drive.
I'm already having trouble keeping it all straight. Looks like I need to start a spreadsheet...
Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

Check out the model brochure archive at Newmar's web site.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirl View Post
Yes! That is precisely the kind of information every buyer should know. I was just cruising the threads on towing so this is quite timely, and definitely crucial. DH and I have been discussing what might make the best toad vehicle. I hate his manual transmission Mustang and I have read horror stories about towing Jeep Grand Cherokees (my car).

It's a good thing we have a year...there is so much to research. I just hope I don't psych myself out with all of the things to decide and consider.

What horror stories are you referencing? The GC has been a good tow vehicle for many.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
What horror stories are you referencing? The GC has been a good tow vehicle for many.
jt
This thread scared the heck out of me:
New Plan - Jeep Grand Cherokee EPS Wobble
Old 04-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Model Changes

Steinbring Motorcoach in Minnesota has articles about model year changes.

This one is about the 2016 changes for Ventana:

The 2016 Newmar Motorhome Lineup - Steinbring Motorcoach

Other articles can be found on this link by going to the bottom and click on the "Older posts" link:

Steinbring Motorcoach Press Releases - The Latest RV News!
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #10

I have the 2017 Newmar LE model 3724 and it does have the adjustable comfort steering that you speak of..Love this coach
Hwy Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #11

Our2015 Jeep gc tows perfectly. Perhaps you mean the Jeep Cherokee. They wobble. Big difference.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #12

When we purchased our 08 Kountry Star, there was a twin 07 available. The difference we saw was, 08 has comfort drive, flat screen TVs ( still almost as heavy as crt in 07!) vynil tile floor (no carpet in living room area) single piece windshield ( although I have seen an 07 with 1piece also).
Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Our2015 Jeep gc tows perfectly. Perhaps you mean the Jeep Cherokee. They wobble. Big difference.

The thread I quoted above cites wobble issues with Grand Cherokees. It was a problem on Cherokees, too, but has surfaced on newer GCs. Not everyone has it, and it doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does, it's bad. As far as I can tell, there has been no resolution yet from Jeep. You might want to read the thread just so you're aware. Perhaps you can rule out your particular model of GC.

Safe travels!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
Steinbring Motorcoach in Minnesota has articles about model year changes.

This one is about the 2016 changes for Ventana:

The 2016 Newmar Motorhome Lineup - Steinbring Motorcoach

Other articles can be found on this link by going to the bottom and click on the "Older posts" link:

Steinbring Motorcoach Press Releases - The Latest RV News!
Excellent resource! Thanks for the links.

Tags
newmar