Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebo View Post
Randy,
I'm curious about how you did a 12volt outlet in your bedroom? I'd like to do the same but don't know where to pickup a 12volt source.
Answer: From a basement compartment light fixture.

Detail: I used a marine grade all plastic "cigarette lighter" socket. Nice, since it is long and all threaded, so thickness of the mounting surface can be very thick, if required. Has a rubber cover, too. I mounted the socket in the side of the bed box, near an existing 110VAC receptacle.

From under the bed, I drilled a hole down through the floor. Under that is insulation and then the very tough vapor barrier. Then you're in the basement compartment. I pushed the wires down through all of that and into the basement compartment. Pay attention to what moves and what doesn't in the case of a bedroom slide. Allow slack wire for bed movement.

I then cut another small hole in the vapor barrier near a basement light. I fished the wire from the hole in the floor so that it would lay on TOP of the vapor barrier. So, I had two holes in the vapor barrier. One below the floor hole and one near a basement light. Once I got my fish tape in the hole near the light and out under the floor hole, I could pull the wires to be above the vapor barrier.

Now, with 2 wires hanging out of the vapor barrier, I removed the basement light. I then fished the wires from that vapor barrier hole to the basement light hole and spliced into the light's 12VDC+ and ground.

Once all complete, I taped over the holes and all is good.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #16

I hadn't thought about doing it that way. I was hoping you found some 12 volt wires in your bedroom slide.
mikebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebo View Post
I hadn't thought about doing it that way. I was hoping you found some 12 volt wires in your bedroom slide.
I was thinking of just putting one on the wall of the bedroom backed into the wall that it shares with the bathroom and pulling power down somehow from the panel in the bathroom, not sure if that would work or not...
Old 06-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I was thinking of just putting one on the wall of the bedroom backed into the wall that it shares with the bathroom and pulling power down somehow from the panel in the bathroom, not sure if that would work or not...
I just looked up the 2015 2903 floor plan, since I am unfamiliar with it. Most likely the electrical panels are above the sink and stool?? If so, that's a perfect place to access 12VDC + and -.

The first caution is that there looks to be a pocket door (the kind that slides on rollers into and out of a wall cavity) separating the bedroom from the bathroom. The night stands...do they move with the slider? I'm thinking they do.

Now, it gets complicated, if the night stand moves. How will you go through the wall and provide enough slack for the wires to move in and out with the slide? It might be easier to go down into the basement for 12VDC access.

If you decide to go through the wall, measure the width of the pocket door, add a few inches of clearance and measure that distance back from the door opening. Anything within that measurement you CANNOT go through the wall.

While you're at it, I would recommend making a USB/12VDC charging station on the night stand near the point of entry from the bathroom electrical. For charging phones and devices.