Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Changing black tank release valve

On my Bay Star I have noticed a little accumulation of water in between dumpings. I don’t see the gate valve, wondering if the entire tank has to be pulled to change out. Thanks
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #2

Not sure what you mean. Every RV I have seen has separate gate valves for gray and black water tanks, joining at a single outlet for dumping. Are you saying you don't have a separate valve for the black water? Do your gray water and black water share the same tank?

Having residual water in your black tank is beneficial, especially if it's been flushed. Keep a gallon or two in the tank always to keep TP and other "stuff" from drying out and clinging to tank surfaces.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #3

black tank valve

I'll try to help. The handle you pull to empty the tank is part of the valve. Follow the stem from the handle and it goes into the valve. Something that may help and delay the valve change is to lube the valve. To lube it involves drilling a 1/8 inch hole in the plate the stem goes into the valve. Get a can of spray lube and spray in the hole using the straw that comes with the lube. Then you must install a small, short screw into the hole to prevent it leaking when finished lubing. The silver screw is installed in the valve body.
You do not have to remove a tank to change the valve. There are threads on here explaining it. I don't have much luck searching. Maybe someone will post a link for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190921_100511 (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	261039  
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The accumulation could be water that simply did not completely drain from the pipe (downstream of the Valves) after the valves were closed. Mine did that so I bought a 3rd valve that attaches the the hose outlet and then the hose attaches to it. Problem solved without a monstrous effort of getting to the black tank valve.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Black Tank Gate Valve

If your leak is occurring while the valve is closed, you may have something stuck on either side of the gate valve and it can be removed and cleaned.

This video is on YouTube and involves a trailer, but the valves are the same

If it leaks on the shaft attached to the handle, the previous post solution may work, or you may have to replace the gate valve. I just did one today and it took about 30 minutes. I bought the part from Newmar for about $21.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
For what it's worth, I find that sometimes I get debris sticking in the valve gate causing leaks. I have one of those covers that allow me to connect a hose so I can backflush the system. That frequently dislodges said debris.i backflush and close the gate. I remove the cover, connect the drain hose, and let it all drain out.

I dread the thought of disassembling and replacing that valve. I hope yours starts behaving.
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo7 View Post
On my Bay Star I have noticed a little accumulation of water in between dumpings. I don’t see the gate valve, wondering if the entire tank has to be pulled to change out. Thanks
Look in the storage bay on the passenger side directly across from the handles. IF like my 2016 BSS that’s where you will find both the grey and black gates. On mine, looks like a real PIA to replace them unless you’re really skinny.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

Add a valtera valve on your outlet pipe. Cheap fix for the short or long term. Mine had a bit of seepage. This solves the problem. Quick attach, and has never leaked a drop.
https://www.amazon.ca/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=asc_df_B000BGHYJS/?tag=bingshopdesk-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584413741202788&psc=1
Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Add a valtera valve on your outlet pipe. Cheap fix for the short or long term. Mine had a bit of seepage. This solves the problem.
Hey, that's a really good idea. Thanks
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the information, valtera valve may be a good fix
Old 09-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #11

The way the valves are located, there will be a little bit of gray water that accumulates behind the cap after you make a few turns. I leave an empty Maxwell House can in the compartment. It catches the water behind the cap when I take it off and whatever drips out when I'm done. As long as you're dumping black water first it's no big deal.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
The way the valves are located, there will be a little bit of gray water that accumulates behind the cap after you make a few turns. I leave an empty Maxwell House can in the compartment. It catches the water behind the cap when I take it off and whatever drips out when I'm done. As long as you're dumping black water first it's no big deal.
Mine was a little bit of black water seeping out. Not very pretty. The valterra valve stops any seepage from both tanks. I had tried using a brush to clean the valves, but with no success. I really dreaded taking off the cap each time I drained the rv. I was going to tear apart the plumbing and replace the black tank valve. I read about the valterra valve on this forum. I added the valve, and have not had a drop come out in almost three years. If the coffee can works for you, save the 30 bucks for the valterra valve.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Changing black tank release valve

Thanks I will investigate, my valves gates appear to be on the opposite side of where I empty. I dump black, close valve and open gray valve to drain that last. When I stop to hook up there is some black, about 6-8 fl oz that I catch in a bucket upon cap removal. Didn’t ever get much of anything before these last couple of times
Old 09-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The TwistOn Valve allows you to back flush the black tank with gray water; here's how:
1. All three valves are closed; black, gray and twist-on.
2. Open the twist-on, then open the black till empty. Close the twist-on, leave black open.
3. Open the gray and count to 10. Gray water flows into the open black tank.
Close the gray and open the twist on. Black is still open and the black tank dumps out its gray water.
4. Repeat step three a couple of times.
5. Close the black and finish dumping gray. Close all three valves.

A clear connector in your dump line allows you to monitor the tank flush progress.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, valve