Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

Changing from Directv to Dish

Has anyone using a Trav'ler dish on the coach gone through the task of changing everything from Directv to Dish?
What is the cost and work to change over the Trav'ler? And is there any purchase cost on the Dish receivers or are you just renting the receivers?

It's getting so aggravating trying to get anything done on Directv and having to deal with AT&T. In October it took over 4 hrs on the phone during 6 days to get my service address changed from Colorado to Arkansas and today I was on the phone over 15 minutes just to suspend my service for several months.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

Converting to Dish is pretty simply. Call Winegard and order the conversion kit. As I remember its the reflector, arm, and LNB, possibly a new control box and instructions. Last I heard your looking at around 300 dollars. Pretty simple swap.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I converted a Direct TV Traveler to Dish back in 2017. Kit cost about $260. Took less than an hour.

I do not believe Winegard supports converting Dish to Direct, but I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do that.

On our new coach, I’m planning to go with Racal Mogul.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

Dish Wally’s are on sale this weekend for Black Friday...

https://get.dishformyrv.com/holidays..._hsmi=80025567
Old 11-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #5

I just called Winegard this past Monday and ask about this very thing. They told me you only have to replace the dish reflector and the arm on the roof. I can’t remember if it was $260 or $360 but it was relatively inexpensive. She also told me you can then use a Dish household DVR receiver and wireless Joey’s. The only problem is they are on back order with no expected delivery date.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
I just called Winegard this past Monday and ask about this very thing. They told me you only have to replace the dish reflector and the arm on the roof. I can’t remember if it was $260 or $360 but it was relatively inexpensive.
DirecTV-to-DISH conversion examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
She also told me you can then use a Dish household DVR receiver and wireless Joey’s. The only problem is they are on back order with no expected delivery date.
That would be a Hopper 3. Go through a local satellite installer, not DISH directly. Here's how it's done.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Has anyone using a Trav'ler dish on the coach gone through the task of changing everything from Directv to Dish?
What is the cost and work to change over the Trav'ler? And is there any purchase cost on the Dish receivers or are you just renting the receivers?

It's getting so aggravating trying to get anything done on Directv and having to deal with AT&T. In October it took over 4 hrs on the phone during 6 days to get my service address changed from Colorado to Arkansas and today I was on the phone over 15 minutes just to suspend my service for several months.

Just swapped from Direct TV to DN. The hardest part for me was the wiring change in Ovhd cabinet above couch in LA.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Amazon has the parts

Just ordered the reflector dish and arm to convert to dish. Amazon has everything!
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:33 PM   #9

Have another question involving Directv to Dish. When I purchased my 2015 DS new and the dealer knew I had a Trav'ler for satellite reception their TV expert told me that I could only use H24 and HR24 receivers if I wanted to continue using my Winegard Carryout Dome when under trees.

If Directv limited which receivers will work with the stand-alone outside Dome who could tell me if Dish has some kind of limitation this way.

The Dome was not SWM when I purchased it years ago but I purchased the kit/switch in order to convert the Dome to SWM. Am I going to have all sorts of headaches trying to use the Dome with Dish?
Old 12-05-2019, 05:39 AM   #10

We often get frustrated with DirecTV, problem is if we switch we can't get the MLB package with Dish, unless something has changed.

The DW called DirecTV last week and complained about their crappy service and they knocked $30 off our bill for 12 months. Our friends called the next day complaining and they reduced their monthly bill plus are sending them a $200 gift card. It seems DirecTV is trying to stop the stampede of customers leaving.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I have Direct TV dish and tried to make the conversion to Dish . The tech said that converting from Direct TV to Dish would involve running an additional cable that would be very intrusive. I didn't pursue it so I don't know the validity of the statement. If he was incorrect, I'd make the change.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
The tech said that converting from Direct TV to Dish would involve running an additional cable that would be very intrusive.
You only need to run 1 cable from a Winegard Travler into your RV. I think it's the same for an RF Mogul dish.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #13

I'm considering switching from DTV to Dish due to increasing prices to subscribers and AT&T's lousy customer service, as our many others according to what I'm seeing here on the Forum.

We've all tried to get a discount or promotion price on our subscription. But from what I'm read on the Internet AT&T is cutting off all promotions in order to increase their profit margin.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
I have Direct TV dish and tried to make the conversion to Dish . The tech said that converting from Direct TV to Dish would involve running an additional cable that would be very intrusive. I didn't pursue it so I don't know the validity of the statement. If he was incorrect, I'd make the change.

Russtj60 -

I can’t speak directly to your issue, since I don’t know how your rig is wired. But I did convert my Direct TV Traveler to Dish almost two years ago. Parts cost about $250. Time was less than two hours.

I had three wires from the dish on the roof.

One was the control and power cable. I’m sure you already have this. It doesn’t change in Dish mode, you use the same cable.

The other two were coax, one to front cable box and the other to the one in the MBR.

Obviously you need to replace the receivers as well. Most people with Dish in an RV are going with the Wally, which has two tuners so you VP can add a hard drive and record one channel while watching another. You can also move up to more cable DVR options if you choose.

I think that tech misled you and you should seek another opinion.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, dish