Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Has anyone using a Trav'ler dish on the coach gone through the task of changing everything from Directv to Dish?
What is the cost and work to change over the Trav'ler? And is there any purchase cost on the Dish receivers or are you just renting the receivers?

It's getting so aggravating trying to get anything done on Directv and having to deal with AT&T. In October it took over 4 hrs on the phone during 6 days to get my service address changed from Colorado to Arkansas and today I was on the phone over 15 minutes just to suspend my service for several months.
I just converted my SK3005 Traveler from Direct to Dish. Call Winegard and they will ask you what Traveler model you have and what software version your Traveler is using and will let you know how to find it. Check that first because you have to reprogram your control box from Direct to Dish and not all model Traveler's can be converted. Not a hard job to reprogram they give you clear instructions. They will also let you know what parts you need to convert the Traveler. They were backordered on the LNB and arms so I found the parts on Amazon. I elected to upgrade to the new Dish Hopper and am very happy with it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 05:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
I converted a Direct TV Traveler to Dish back in 2017. Kit cost about $260. Took less than an hour.

I do not believe Winegard supports converting Dish to Direct, but I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do that.

On our new coach, I’m planning to go with Racal Mogul.
When I talked to Dish about converting my Directv Trav'ler to Dish I asked about reconverting back to Directv. His comment was yes if I kept all of the parts.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You only need to run 1 cable from a Winegard Travler into your RV. I think it's the same for an RF Mogul dish.

This statement is true if only using one receiver or if bedroom receiver is on same station/satellite!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
When I talked to Dish about converting my Directv Trav'ler to Dish I asked about reconverting back to Directv. His comment was yes if I kept all of the parts.

Yes, that sounds logical.

What I meant in my previous post is that Winegard does not support converting from Dish to Direct like they do for Direct to Dish. But if you have the parts, it should work.

It’s a mystery to me why they don’t support both conversion paths.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
This statement is true if only using one receiver or if bedroom receiver is on same station/satellite!
Depends. If you use a Hopper 3 (+ wireless Joey), then it's still only one.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #20

SWM Modules

I had mine converted a few months ago. Watch out for the Direct TV SWM modules if there are any installed on your wiring. They will cause DISH to not function. Mine were just inside the cable access panel on the roof. I just paid someone to do it. I think was about $600.00. Can save lots if DIY. I am using a Wally. Cost is $7.00 a month since I am already a DISH customer at home. I just leave it enabled all the time since I go out most months but you can have DISH turn it for if you are not going to use it in a given month. The output from my Wally goes to a 3 way splitter and then out to 3 TV ports. I requested an Audio/Visual wiring diagram on line from Newmar Tech Support and they sent me one, very useful to have and for the most part my rig is wired as per the diagram.

Good Luck
Old 12-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Depends. If you use a Hopper 3 (+ wireless Joey), then it's still only one.

That is the system I’m using with RF Mogal. Great experience so far with the dish and satellite equipment.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:28 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
TO FL JOE -

It appears from their website that Dish now carries MLB Extra Innings. Like you I was holding back on moving from DTV, but if MLB is now available on Dish I am out of DTV faster than you can say "Crap Customer Service."

https://www.dish.com/programming/pac...extra-innings/
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, dish