Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #1

Our coach came with a keyless entry. It comes preset with a code from the factory. In our informational package there is one sheet of paper telling how to reset the code. It's simple enough. However, it didn't tell me where the programming switch/button was located on the inside of the coach so I could initiate recodification of the touch pad . Pat Carr, my PDI guy, helped me look for the button. He nor I could locate it. He ended up calling Newmar. The tech told him where it was located (we had looked in the right area)and said, quote, "...it's just hanging there." Pat told me what Newmar said. I told Pat I could find it, no hassle. I returned to the coach, opened the panel by removing a cup holder (of all things) and finally found the little begger buried within a spagetti laddened cubby hole near the co-pilot's seat. The tech was right...it was just "hanging" there. I got the touch pad recodified and all is right with the Pearl. The thing I thought amusing was that the switch (actually a momentary push button) was just "hanging" there and not mounted in a more protected and accessible location within the panel. It's no biggy but one would think some consideration would be given to place ANY control in a secure and protected location. Oh well, you get what you pay for .

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
dlhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #2

Our coach came with a keyless entry. It comes preset with a code from the factory. In our informational package there is one sheet of paper telling how to reset the code. It's simple enough. However, it didn't tell me where the programming switch/button was located on the inside of the coach so I could initiate recodification of the touch pad . Pat Carr, my PDI guy, helped me look for the button. He nor I could locate it. He ended up calling Newmar. The tech told him where it was located (we had looked in the right area)and said, quote, "...it's just hanging there." Pat told me what Newmar said. I told Pat I could find it, no hassle. I returned to the coach, opened the panel by removing a cup holder (of all things) and finally found the little begger buried within a spagetti laddened cubby hole near the co-pilot's seat. The tech was right...it was just "hanging" there. I got the touch pad recodified and all is right with the Pearl. The thing I thought amusing was that the switch (actually a momentary push button) was just "hanging" there and not mounted in a more protected and accessible location within the panel. It's no biggy but one would think some consideration would be given to place ANY control in a secure and protected location. Oh well, you get what you pay for .

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 05-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #3

I guess as the switch is both small and light, securing to the wire bundle is adequate. Additionally this switch will only need to be accessed once by each owner throughout its lifetime. Actually, making it difficult to access is far better than having it anywhere where it might be activated by accident causing it to default set.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 AM   #4

You are totally correct, Lug Nut.

My engineering background comes out every once in a while. I tend to overbuild things and think that others should do the same thing. I have to remember that sometimes things are best left as they are and that the KISS principal should reign supreme.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

That's strange as I distinctly remember looking at the 2006 4304's on Howard's lot a week or so ago,sitting in the co-pilot's seat and seeing the black button mounted just below the cup holder and labeled "keyless entry".....Maybe a change was made?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:21 AM   #6

Bob, Now you mention it, I think I saw similar on the '07 Essex. If so, a change was definately made. Possible change in programming method in all lightly hood requiring code to be entered in pad within so many seconds from activating the switch perhaps. This would eliminate accidental defaulting of the code.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

I have confirmed by way of a phone call,that the 2006 MADP's we looked at (and Jeff bought one of..) AND the 2007 Essex do in fact have the switch under the co-pilot cup holder for keyless entry re-programming...While on the subject of cupholders,the cupholder is made of matching tile of the steps inside the coach....Prett snazzy looking.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #8

Lug Nut and rebelsbeach,

I knew I wasn't too far off in thinking the button should be mounted but still hidden. Mine was hidden but not mounted.

As a side note: the cup holder in our MADP sits in the panel next to the co-pilot's seat. The cup holder has 4 holes in the bottom. Any condensation from drinks can leak through these holes into the panel below and subject the wiring and wooden components to excessive moisture. I have a couple of tentative solutions that will take care of that potential: 1) cutting one of those cardboard type coasters the size of the bottom of the cup holder and placing it in the bottom; 2) attaching a felt type pad to the bottom of the cup holder so that it acts like a wick to catch any fluid. The coaster seems to be the best (and simplest) approach to alay my concerns. The cup holder will not accommodate a coozy -- it's way too small. DC power won't short out due to moisture as readily as AC power will.

I will NOT attempt to mount the keyless entry program button. It's OK like it is. BTW: it's NOT affixed to the adjacent wiring. It is, in fact, just hanging there like the tech at Newmar said it would be.

Consistancey comes to mind as to how moho's are put together. The devil is always in the details I guess.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 05-24-2006, 02:16 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Won't make this long as it's in another topic,but just got home from picking up my friend's '06 MADP and I agree with you on the cupholder....Nice BIG one for the driver and a little thing over by the passenger...We determined it's small because of all the switches there on the panel for the passenger...(LOVE the ability to turn the patio light on going down the road...)

Keyless entry code changing is pretty painless though....
Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Keyless entry

Is there a chance that you could post that instruction sheet or email it to me.
We have a 2006 Tradewinds and I have instructions for the key FOB but not for the key pad. Looks the same in the picture. my email cpc2@charter.net. Thanks
bburcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi BBurcham. If yours is the same as my 06 Newmar Essex then go to this website for the manufacturer's tech support. Www.keyless.com Oddly, the keyless entry for my Essex is made by a company named 'Essex'-just a coincidence
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote