Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristelectri View Post
My problem is that I'm going to Milton Florida (which is in the panhandle area I believe) & pulling a horse trailer with (2) horses on it. I will need to see if there is a location near where I will be traveling?

Thanks

Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.speedco.com/index.php

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"cristelectri".......I owned a Monaco Diplomat for 9 years and did all of my own servicing. After the initial service I got good at it, taking about a half day to do everything. When I bought the Dutch Star, it had a side radiator with some new challenges in terms of the fan drive. I was anxious about doing the first service which Freightliner calls for at 6 months.

After I finally got motivated, it was pretty easy since this was my first side radiator and everything was easy to get to. I new I would have to locate the grease fittings for the first time, but was surprised that there are very few on the front since I have IFS. The Dutch Star sits a little lower so I had some issues getting my big ole butt under it, so I ran it up on blocks.

If you're going to do your own, there are a couple of things to know. To start, it's recommended that the driveshaft of a DP be lubricated every 5000 miles because of the torque they endure. There are two grease fittings on each u-joint. If they are working properly, one should fill all four caps. Also on the u-joint is a slip joint with a fitting in the middle. This slip joint takes a lot of grease and when it's full, it pushes out the end of the slip joint between the slip joint and the u-joint via a small hole. It's difficult, but you need to take a finger and hold it over the hole until the grease comes out the front of the grease seal on the slip joint.

Typically the brake cans have two - three fittings. Never go crazy on these. Usually 2-3 shots is good.

Oil and filter you know how to do. I finally added a Fumoto valve to mine to make life easy. I think many use either Delo or Rotella 15-40. The Delo is available at Costco, but I use the Rotella and buy it at Walmart in 2.5 gallon jugs. The large oil filter needs to be prefilled. It takes a little over three quarts on an ISL filter.

Air cleaner.....your choice when you change that.

The dessicant filter in your air dryer should be changed about every three years. There are different types so I won't describe. My previous coach was simple with a spin on filter. The Dutch Star has a Bendix unit with an internal filter mounted in a location only a small boy can reach (between the frame rails).

Most coaches also filter the power steering fluid. Some are ATF and some are hydraulic fluid. My Monaco had a canister with an internal filter that was just lifted out. The Dutch Star has a second cap on the power steering reservoir that when removed has the filter on the back side (screw on). Should be at the rear of the engine or in a side bay near the rear.

Fuel filters......Both my Monaco and the Dutch Star have two. (I keep referring to my Monaco since your Spartan chassis may be more similar to one than the other). Both of my coaches had the ISL 400/450. When I changed the filters on the Monaco, I always prefilled my filters, because the Cummins method of turning the key on several times and letting the pump fill them never worked. On the Dutch Star, I have a hand primer pump at the main filter that lets me pump them full after changing. On my Monaco they were in a side bay in front of the rear wheels. On the Dutch Star they are just inside the engine door.

The Onan generator is pretty simple with a couple of things most should be careful with. The drain plug is typically a 3/8" square hole and can be removed with a 3/8" ratchet or ratchet with an extension. Many strip this drain. Make sure you have a good press fit before turning. The fuel filter is behind a door on the underside of the generator and probably the most difficult to deal with. A specialty tubing wrench should be used on the two fuel lines. It's the type of wrench that looks like a box end wrench with a slot cut out. It keeps you from stripping the tubing nut. I believe one is 1/2" and one is 9/16".

When changing this filter, wrap a rag around both wrists. It will keep the fuel from running down your arm. I also use a small plug when I pull the lines off. If you've ever cut the tip off of a tube of silicon off, the end piece works well as a plug.

I know some of this is basic, but if you've done farm equipment you should easily be able to do the motor home. The first time will take you awhile, but it will be a snap the next time.

One of the BIGGEST reasons I do my own.....is while I'm crawling in and around the coach, I get to look at everything and often find things coming loose and in need of repair.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #17

Thanks Don! I've added a stop @ Speedco on my Good Sam's trip planner for later this week when we go to Florida just in case I want to stop & learn where all the parts are located.
cristelectri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:27 PM   #18

I just found this old thread because i want to do a full service myself.
I still have a 2008 Dutch Star with 46,000mi after all the years.
I have bought the oil (Fleetguard 14000NN (replaced the LF9009)) and fuel filters for the ISL (425hp). I looked at the filters on the rear passenger side and found a SF6505 with a gauge on top of it. A quick search said it is a hydraulic filter. It was probably never changed.
But where is the oil filter located? I don't see it.
PeterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
I just found this old thread because i want to do a full service myself.
I still have a 2008 Dutch Star with 46,000mi after all the years.
I have bought the oil (Fleetguard 14000NN (replaced the LF9009)) and fuel filters for the ISL (425hp). I looked at the filters on the rear passenger side and found a SF6505 with a gauge on top of it. A quick search said it is a hydraulic filter. It was probably never changed.
But where is the oil filter located? I don't see it.
Crawl under the coach and on the driver's side of the engine, about midway, you'll see the filter. It's up near the frame rail. It should be prefilled before installing. Takes almost a gallon of oil.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #20

I found the filter, but how can I get it out? I ordered a tool from Gearwrench (Nylon Strap Oil Filter Wrench: it is like a seat belt on a 1/2" squared metal stick), but the filter is stuck.
PeterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterE View Post
I found the filter, but how can I get it out? I ordered a tool from Gearwrench (Nylon Strap Oil Filter Wrench: it is like a seat belt on a 1/2" squared metal stick), but the filter is stuck.

When I get a filter that is stuck I use a long handle breaker bar for extra leverage.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star