RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

Changing satellite address

I know RVers change their receiving address for satellite as they travel, but I've now been on the phone during the last 5 days for almost 3 hours and still haven't got my summer address changed to my winter address in order to receive local network channels.

Anyone have any good advice, especially since AT&T acquired Directv?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I know RVers change their receiving address for satellite as they travel, but I've now been on the phone during the last 5 days for almost 3 hours and still haven't got my summer address changed to my winter address in order to receive local network channels.

Yes: FIRE the satellite company and get a HULU, Roku, or Firestick. Upgrade your phone service to unlimited data, make your phone a hotspot, connect your Hulu, Roku, Firestick to your Phone Hotspot and enjoy TV like never before. You'll be absolutely amazed with how much newer content is online that IS NOT available on satellite systems.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #3

Thats all well and good IF you always camp where you have full 4G service. There are many places we camp that were lucky to get 2 bars early in the morning and service disappears during the day.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use dish on the road and have to call in to reactivate our receiver after it has been power off for over 30 days.

We just call the 800 number and go to tech support. Tell them to activate your receiver at your current location. They will rattle off all kinds of "did you do this or that". Interrupt their suggestions, and just tell them to send the activation code. They don't need an address. Usually takes about 10 min for your receiver to reactivate and load the full TV guide.

We rarely watch the local channels, but if you give tech support your zip code, they can change those to local where you are camped.

I have never waited more than 10 minutes to get tech support, usually only a couple.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
We use dish on the road and have to call in to reactivate our receiver after it has been power off for over 30 days.

We just call the 800 number and go to tech support. Tell them to activate your receiver at your current location. They will rattle off all kinds of "did you do this or that". Interrupt their suggestions, and just tell them to send the activation code. They don't need an address. Usually takes about 10 min for your receiver to reactivate and load the full TV guide.

We rarely watch the local channels, but if you give tech support your zip code, they can change those to local where you are camped.

I have never waited more than 10 minutes to get tech support, usually only a couple.

Good luck!
Had to have a tech come to my house after 3 days of trying over the phone. He dialed number said "resend activation code". It was all don in about 30 sec.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

It took me 6 hours on the phone last winter. If I had other options I'd switch.

2000 Wrangler Sahara
ddz1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post

If you get locals with one account in more than one location I would look forward to hearing how

Per my call it is no longer possible without changing the billing address
Old 10-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #8

Well, at about 2:30 the last person on the phone said they were working on getting me the major networks and would call me back if they needed more info. Never heard any thing after that. Was gone from the camper till about 9:00 PM

, and now the Guide on the screen shows nothing between channels 1 and 70.

So they not only didn't get me the major networks they deleted them off the Guide. More AT&T screwups.

I'd switch to Dish but I read it's possible Directv and Dish may merge with AT&T in control.

Where do I go now?
Old 10-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret60sp View Post
Yes: FIRE the satellite company and get a HULU, Roku, or Firestick. Upgrade your phone service to unlimited data, make your phone a hotspot, connect your Hulu, Roku, Firestick to your Phone Hotspot and enjoy TV like never before. You'll be absolutely amazed with how much newer content is online that IS NOT available on satellite systems.
I have neither the Smarts nor the Technology to do any that you have suggested. Sounds great, but not much help for a dummy like me. Thanks anyway.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post

Good luck!
This process is much easier with the Dish App. When parked in a new location, the app has a tab for local channels, usually takes about 5 minutes. If there are any issues, you can simply text them. The response is immediate. This has made travelling with Sat TV about as easy as it can get
Old 10-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #11

Last year a couple forums were full of treads about DirecTV (AT&T) not switching over RVers service address while traveling. Most RV customers would get different answers from DirecTV but the bottom line was they either could not get their local stations while traveling or it took days and days to accomplish what used to take 3 minutes on the phone.

We simply started using our local antenna and haven't switched all summer. When we return to our Florida area for the winter we will once again have our local channels. Our hope was that DirecTV would get this all corrected by now.

There was a recent post my DW read on FB that said a DirecTV tech told an RVers that when they called for service location change they should ask for the "movers department, and say they were "snowbirds" traveling and needed a temporary service location change.

My personal experience with folks answering the phone at DirecTV is that 90% of them wouldn't know what an RV was let alone what a snowbird was. But we may give this a call since the person posting this said they had done it three times now with no issues.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #12

As full timers, we have "Pay as you Go" Dish. Everytime we move (more than 500 miles) we call and give them our new location zip code, usually takes 2-3 minutes. It can be done on line, but auto dial is pretty easy. If you part time RV, this might still be a option to go from the house to the RV. You would need a 211 receiver and portable dish, a $350-500 investment, and then $32/month for basic & local service.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #13

If you really want to get local channels then it can definitely be a PIA. Otherwise, if you use Directv, you can pay $15/month for their DNS service, if they still offer it, which we do & forget about local channels. Getting the National east & west coast feeds is what we want & it always works.
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #14

The DNS package would be a solution, especially for full timers. I considered it however when we looked into it they would not let you subscribe to the MLB package and some other stuff.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite