Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #1

Chassis Batteries

Ok still a newbie with the Coach, but I've got some battery disconnect questions. I've had two episodes outside my control where my batteries were dead after a short period. I took coach to a recommended place by Newmar although they are not a Dealer and I advised leave it plugged in, after a week when I came to pick it up dead and had to jump start the coach. Fast forward to now, coach is at same repair facility since all parts finally arrived from first visit (all minor issue). Anyways again explained leave it plugged in and they didn't, but they did switch off chassis and house batteries, after close to a week the manager told me they went out to get mileage off coach and chassis batts at 5v. So my question is if not plugged in and both house and chassis batts are off whats drawing on the chassis batts? Any help would be great. Brad
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

It could be the
TRGarringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

If the batteries are connected to the cables and even though the chassis’s switches are off there is still small discharges from “Phantom “ circuits. That’s why coach should always be plugged in.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #4

I dont know about Phantom circuits but a radio with a station memory will draw a little and any device that monitors anything or is waiting for something to tell it to wake up will use a little power. When not plugged in the solar panel should keep the coach batteries charged and the battery separator should keep the chassis battery charged by connecting and disconnecting the battery to the circuit. At least that is my understanding.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

With the new batteries try plugging it in. That will tell all.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Hmf23,
While all know the obvious items that continue to draw power when the master switch is off, they do not draw enough power to take the batteries down in a week. There are several possibilities:
1. Dealer is lying and left other stuff on.
2. There are items drawing down power that should not be. It is a continuing mystery for each coach as to what draws power and what does not. There does not seem to be much of a pattern.
3. Batteries are bad. Charge them up and do a stress test. That will tell you the state of the batteries. A stress tester can be purchased at any good auto parts store. Mine is rated at 130 AMPS.

Consider having the circuits checked when the batteries are at full charge. Any good tech should be able to determine where the drain is coming from.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a LP Detector off chassis battery that draws them down pretty quick, if coach was plugged into at least 110 outlet your B.I.M. would have kept all your batteries fully charged, now you need a 12 volt battery charger to bring them back so system can do that when you get home.
Your battery cut off switch always needs to be on when ever you use your coach.
This link has many items you need to know including your battery systems.
All the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar also.
Congrats on your new Newmar, safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

Have you manually switched your inverter off? This caused me trouble in the past wherein something 120v was pulling battery juice through the inverter. On mine you can also see how much power the inverter is supplying too.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Magnum inverter/charger, BMK, AGS-N, and ARC remote for the coach batteries and Xantrex Link-10 for the engine batteries. Each night a glance to see if the amps being drawn is normal and I can go to bed and know the battery banks will be good in the morning. Something like that will alert you of an electrical problem.

Batteries that discharge too quickly can be real trouble if you primarily camp without hookups. Solar power keeps them all fully charged by late after noon.

A health problem has kept the RV in the driveway for the past 16 months and I like to go in and dream about the next multi-month trip to the high Rockies. Then my wife finds me and brings me out of my dreams about the wonderful Newmar koochi-bomb in the driveway. Who else is old enough to remember the old names for favored vehicles?
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not know JOE I have been around for some time and never heard reference to " KOOCHI BOOM" my years here but that's OK your entitled to name coach what ever you like.
Hope you get well soon and back on the road, when you get my age everything seems to fall apart and their are life changes you never think will happen.
So I will stick it out here among my friends, with all my spare parts, as I slowly drift off into the sunset.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - As DrPhil said if the inverter was not switched off it will draw the batteries down in that period of time. Turning off the battery switches does not fix the issue as the inverter is not fed through the switch but via a direct connection to the batteries.

Tom
Old 02-24-2018, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I do not know JOE I have been around for some time and never heard reference to " KOOCHI BOOM" my years here but that's OK your entitled to name coach what ever you like.
Hope you get well soon and back on the road, when you get my age everything seems to fall apart and their are life changes you never think will happen.
So I will stick it out here among my friends, with all my spare parts, as I slowly drift off into the sunset.

X 2 007, We bought our first camper in the early eighties and still have not heard the term.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are several circuits that are powered from the battery side of the house disconnect solenoid. Trace the wires (a few inches long) to the fuse and then look at the fuse description on the back of the black panel covering the back of the electrical bay. I know Silverleaf is on such system but there are others. Take a multimeter to each circuit and measure how much power is being drawn. Hopefully this will isolate the draw.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, the problem may be that you turn the disconnects to OFF or Disconnected.

OFTEN, and this means not always, a coach is wired something like this

Converter--------Stuff------Disconnect switch----Battery

Of course some stuff hooks up battery side

if you leave the disconnects in the DISCONNETED (Off) position then the battery can not be charged by the converter.

Other coaches the Inverter/charger may be connected direct to the battery .. But without doing some testing involving a digital volt meter hooked to teh batteries,, I can ot tell you how your coach is wired.

New batteries should last 7-10 years but if the coach sat long enough the batteries might be "Flat" and you have done a very good job of describing that Flat means they won't hold a charge.

Tags
batteries, chassis