Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Chassis battery charging

In my 2003 KSDP I have an inverter, converter/charger, and small solar panel.

I believe the solar panel trickle charges the chassis battery.

When on shore power, are my chassis batteries receiving any charge besides solar panel?

Would any solar panel charge offset having a power converter plugged into the cigarette lighter to power a Carryout G2?

Ron
rrodda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It would be a good exercise to answer your own question. With the RV unplugged for a few hours in the dark, take voltage readings at the house and chassis batteries.(to eliminate the solar panel charging voltage) A full battery should read 12.7v. Then plug in your shore cord and take readings again. To overcome internal resistance, a 12v battery needs at least 13.4v or more to charge it.

Waiting a few hours removes any surface charge that hasn't been absorbed by the battery plates. You could also turn on a light or device that will draw from the battery to get rid of the surface charge.

During the day, with the sun out, you could again take voltage readings with the shore cord unplugged. You'll then know if your solar panel is charging chassis or house batteries.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All your batteries are charged by your BIRD System when shore line plugged in to at least 110 volts or while driving your coach with your BCO, battery cut off switch on.
The small Solar panel is just for the chassis battery with no power to the BIRD System.
Small loads that effect the chassis batteries, LP Detector should have a switch in overhead display to cut off LP Detector, radio, ECM,TCM, some other control boards.
Something plugged into dash 12 volt outlet will effect the chassis batteries only but if shore line plugged in no effect.
Same thing if Gen running it supplies the 119 for converter.
Have you checked your TSB's in sticky top of forum?
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar Technical and Mod'S.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
While I'm sure "007" is correct about how your RV is equipped and meant to work, exploring by doing the tests I suggested would verify that it's working as it was designed. At a later time, if something fails, you'll have the knowledge to test and be able to compare how it isn't acting up to snuff.

I'm a retired teacher, I don't believe in just telling, I like to let folks learn by doing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes I agree Bob meant to put that info of yours in my post, must be that age thing again.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, battery, charging