Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chassis Battery Charging

My manuals are not 100% explicit, but from what I read, is it correct that the only time the chassis batteries are charged is while the engine is running: not via the genset and/or shore power?
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #2

You are correct, for all MHs I've encountered. I'm sure others will come in. It would help if you indicated the year, make and model though
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
My manuals are not 100% explicit, but from what I read, is it correct that the only time the chassis batteries are charged is while the engine is running: not via the genset and/or shore power?
While I'm sure that it depends on your specific coach, on ours, the "chassis" battery charges in all of these conditions.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My RV came from the factory equipped with a Trik-L-Start which "takes" from the house batteries to charge the chassis battery. I would be surprised if your RV didn't have some means of keeping the chassis battery charged.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
You are correct, for all MHs I've encountered. I'm sure others will come in. It would help if you indicated the year, make and model though

Hi Allen. I thought my signature had that info. Anyway, a 2015 Ventana LE 3436.

Thanks,

Wally
Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Your coach is new enough that it probably has a method to charge the chassis batteries when plugged into shore power. You could have a Echo Charger, a BIRD or some other form of battery combiner. When in doubt, call the factory
Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi Allen. I thought my signature had that info. Anyway, a 2015 Ventana LE 3436.

Thanks,

Wally
Your sig may, but it does not show up on the mobile version of the forum! Hopefully another owner of your model will chime in!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When you are plugged-in or on your generator, the chassis batteries will be charged, I believe, once your house batteries are charged. Not an expert, but I know they will all get charged. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with more detailed information for you.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Your sig may, but it does not show up on the mobile version of the forum!
On the mobile version, when you tap his icon/avatar, all his info shows nicely....
Old 12-31-2016, 05:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Your sig may, but it does not show up on the mobile version of the forum! Hopefully another owner of your model will chime in!
Deleted
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Yes you are correct house batteries first than chassis and in reverse when you are driving coach chassis than house and your B.I.M. or BIRD controls the charge system.
When ever you use your coach have the battery cut off switch on or when plugged into shore power.

Your signature will show if you check the box for showing in the location for putting in your signature CP location top left of forum page.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #12
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:

Newmars have a system that charges both house and chassis while on shore power or genset. Prior to 2009 it was called a BIRD, after that a BIM.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ges/111457.pdf

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3395797]Yes you are correct house batteries first than chassis and in reverse when you are driving coach chassis than house and your [B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/SS2011Electrical12V.pdf
B.I.M. or BIRD [/URL][/B]controls the charge system.
When ever you use your coach have the battery cut off switch on or when plugged into shore power.

Your signature will show if you check the box for showing in the location for putting in your signature CP location top left of forum page.

Thanks"007". That info/link helps me understand the components involved a lot better. I still not sure how the genset charging functions though but from my recent experiences probably the same. If so, I tricked myself by not knowing that the house batteries would need to get fully charged before the chassis batteries would get charged. All this because this is the first time I did not go south for the winter, have the MoHo parked without shore power, not winterized, leaving the propane heat system on (thus the house batteries on for the fans), and running the genset to charge the batteries every few days, (using the Max. inverter lights to tell me when that was). Over Xmas I was gone for four days, it was colder that normal (for the Pacific NW, 20s and snow), and when I returned both chassis and house batteries were dead. Made me re-read what I thought I knew and question even that! Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Newmars have a system that charges both house and chassis while on shore power or genset. Prior to 2009 it was called a BIRD, after that a BIM.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ges/111457.pdf

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Thanks newmarpusher. That info/link helps me understand the components involved a lot better. I am still not sure how the genset charging functions though but from my recent experiences probably the same. If so, I tricked myself by not knowing that the house batteries would need to get fully charged before the chassis batteries would get charged. All this because this is the first time I did not go south for the winter, a new MoHo to me, have the MoHo parked without shore power, not winterized, leaving the propane heat system on (thus the house batteries on for the fans), and running the genset to charge the batteries every few days, (using the Max. inverter lights to tell me when that was). Over Xmas I was gone for four days, it was colder that normal (for the Pacific NW, 20s and snow), and when I returned both chassis and house batteries were dead. Made me re-read what I thought I knew and question even that! Thanks again.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis