Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Chassis Battery Locker- What do you put in the extra space?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	248511

I am trying clean up my basement and am looking at this as an opportunity.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #2

Nothing flammable, made out of metal or explosive?
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe a small plastic box with tools dedicated to battery maintenance only. Tape the tools up all the way except for the end which does the work (wrench, screwdriver) a small container of baking soda, a small bottle of distilled water (plastic bottle) but would refrain from filling that space with stuff, those batteries have to breathe and if Lead Acid, will gas and coat anything in the compartment with stuff.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you look at the photo, he has Gel batteries. No special precautions needed.

I carry three wooden ramps for occasionally leveling the coach. I place all three on the right side of the tray. On the other side I have a pair of jumper cables, one of those boxes with the reflective triangle and a 0ne gallon jug of Wash and Wax ALL to refill my smaller spray bottle. Directly in front of the batteries, between the batteries and tray, I keep a spare pair of windshield wipers.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

I carry three wooden ramps for occasionally leveling the coach. I place all three on the right side of the tray. On the other side I have a pair of jumper cables, one of those boxes with the reflective triangle and a 0ne gallon jug of Wash and Wax ALL to refill my smaller spray bottle. Directly in front of the batteries, between the batteries and tray, I keep a spare pair of windshield wipers.

I was thinking I was safe with my batteries not being lead acid.

I was thinking of relocating my 2x10x20 wood blocks for placing under my leveling jacks when needed, plus my collapsible traffic safety cones. Great idea for storing my spare windshield wipers.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I carry wood pads and plastic pads for under the jacks
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Can you post a picture? You have some great ideas.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #8

Nothing, they need all the ventilation they can get

Zzotte
Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #9

On our 18 LA we added another storage compartment as you can see. Started off be completely enclosing the compartment and adding rubber seals to the outside so the compartment is dry and sealed from outside weather. Used a rubber mud flap to separate the AGM batteries from the metal shelf above the batteries. Did this about a year ago and by putting shelves in almost all outside storage compartments really increased storage. I noticed Newmar says on their 2020 coaches they have also added shelves to a number of compartments. We travel about 200 days a year and most years over 20K miles and it sure is nice not having to use our tow for additional storage.
Newmar Man

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	248548
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
All - Could not tell what type of batteries OP had. But all are great ideas. Our new one will have LA, but all those wooden blocks would fit there, as well as the ramps I carry too. My tool kit would be good since I will be doing maintenance on ours monthly, then don't have to wonder "now where did I put those wrenches/screwdrivers I set up for my battery maintenance". Hopefully, coating all the terminals with NO-OX-ID Special A grease will preclude some of the gassing corrosion.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #11

Added AGM batteries to our Essex and put them in a closed compartment it ran it for 10 plus years like that.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
List-O-Stuff

List-o-stuff I keep in the battery bay:

1. Small aluminum folding table
2. Thick rubber mat used for ground work
3. Gallon of distilled water
4. Gallon of 50/50 antifreeze*
5. Turkey baster bulb for adding small portions of distilled water
6. A plastic cup for pouring distilled water
7. A battery hydrometer

* Before anyone warns me about the flammability of glychol-based antifreeze, know that it has to be above boiling (250F) and atomized in order to burn. My bay is well ventilated and I would expect my batteries to blow up before the antifreeze burns.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #13

I am one of the poor slugs that only have 8 wet batteries in my bay, so I only keep a gallon of distilled water, my battery fill cannister, and a bottle of solution I made up for spraying spilled diesel off the side of my coach when fueling.

Even if I had sealed batteries I probably wouldn't build a shelf or keep much else in that compartment due to the fact it is under a slide on my model. Too much head banging getting stuff in and out IMHO.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #14

This is how I handled the house batteries in the bay. Not willing to lose use of the bay, I enclosed them using PVC sheeting and installed a power vent. Vent runs whenever voltage is high enough to cause gassing.

I know that this is not a Newmar, but I thought it might prompt some creative thinking.

Name:	1974%20GMC%204108a-125%2043.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	248597
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, chassis