Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TinMan Trvlr,
My coach's 5 WATT solar panel has worked as advertised for 9 years. Before doing anything, consider contacting Newmar and determining:
1. Where to take a measurement to determine if the solar panel is working properly.
2. Where to take a measurement to determine if the parasite draws on your chassis battery(s) are what Newmar expects.

Once these questions are answered, one can make a decision as to the next steps to take. Throwing $s at a fix without having appropriate data to justify the decision, may not bring to desired result.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #16

Tinman, I am no way an expert on the electrical systems of the MH. But are you turning off the battery disconect switch to the entire MH when you store it. I don't know what model/year ect you have, but on ours (we have the 5watt roof top chassis battery charger) if I turn off the battery disconnect and leave the MH sit, my battery stays fresh. I think the longest I have left it sit without starting the engine has been about 6 weeks. When I turn the battery disconnect back on my chassi battery still shows above 12v.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I disagree about not needing a controler for a 25 watt solar panel. I had a 7 watt without a controller. It would charge the battery by day but it would discharge it at night. Once I bought a controller it would charge during the day and do nothing at night. That's how you keep your RV battery charged.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
solar panels are often connect straight to the batteries when a controller is not being used.

I think if you look at your batteries you will see two wires, perhaps a #12 or so in size. Just disconnect and see what the voltage is, ask newmar what is should be.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I disagree about not needing a controler for a 25 watt solar panel. I had a 7 watt without a controller. It would charge the battery by day but it would discharge it at night. Once I bought a controller it would charge during the day and do nothing at night. That's how you keep your RV battery charged.

I really don't think that can happen.

I had a 200 watt panel charging a battery bank for two years, not on an RV but it was no issue
Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #20

TinMan, I also forgot to add, that our MH is prewired for an additional rooftop solar panel. There is a little cover on the roof which the wires are under, and then there are a couple of open end wires laying near your existing batteries if you have it. If you have a newer Newmar your's should be prewired too. I have found that before jumping to unwarranted worries or expenses check the obvious first as mentioned by Gary. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had a big problem, was going to have to take mine into the shop and get something fixed, really worried about things just to find out I was doing something wrong or a minor mistake was made that was easily corrected. I have been able to correct 95% of issues I thought I had by advice I've recieved on this site, without spending money.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Mike do you know what gauge wire Newmar uses?

Is there a point inside to mount a controller?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
What your system was missing was a diode to prevent the power from flowing from the batteries to the solar cells when not creating electricity.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
how could a panel attract power in the first place?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #24

Jimbo, I'm not sure I guess I could measure it but it looks pretty thick. They told me it was part of the solar prep upgrade which is wired for a much larger solar panel but I don't remember the size it can accomodate. My understanding is if you add the solar panel, you leave the small one on for the chassis battery and then the bigger one would power the house batterys.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
+ 1on pasdad1, have 2 boats (each with 2 batteries, one deep cycle, one starting), Mh has 3, 5th wheel has 2, atv has one, lawn tractor has 1, dirt bike has 1. So I have experienced the nasty crud of sulfate, you can see it form on the plates. 15 watt solar panels (coleman) per individual battery has solved the problem and, they are always fresh now. The new cear roof on the garden shed did help with the sunlight access for stuff stored in there, little hotter in summer so added side vents up high.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post

+ 1on pasdad1, have 2 boats (each with 2 batteries, one deep cycle, one starting), Mh has 3, 5th wheel has 2, atv has one, lawn tractor has 1, dirt bike has 1. So I have experienced the nasty crud of sulfate, you can see it form on the plates. 15 watt solar panels (coleman) per individual battery has solved the problem and, they are always fresh now. The new cear roof on the garden shed did help with the sunlight access for stuff stored in there, little hotter in summer so added side vents up high.
You guys with sulfate problems, install a PowerPulse unit to your battery bank and no more sulfate problems.

However, for people who store their coach without power the PP is powered off the battery bank so your battery will deplete without adequate charging either from shore power or solar power.

I have three units, two on my House Battery Bank and one on my 8D Chassis Battery.

After a quick Internet search the cheapest is $38 from Wal-Mart on-line.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bank - Chassis 8D.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	73550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bank - House GC2.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	73551  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #27

After having the chassis batteries go dead a couple of times on my 2011 Ventana, both in about two weeks of storage, I found that turning off the red disconnect switch in the engine compartment solved that problem. Unfortunately, it causes the Freightliner electronics to lose its memory and then I have to reprogram the date and time every time I turn it back on.

Apparently there are more parasitic draws than Newmar anticipated since the 5 watt solar panel doesn't even do the job in sunny Florida (assuming its even working).
jswickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the 5w solar on my 2005, and until recently it did a fine job as a trickle charger to keep the engine battery topped off. I guess I don't have a substantial amount of drain. I discovered the other day that while I am getting 16v from the solar panel, now only 3v are being delivered to the battery, so I've got something askew.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, solar