Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Sorry, I don't buy this test if the initial description of the "defect" as described in the NHTSA recall is correct.

The defect in the recall was described as "internal circuit board may be inadvertently subject to bending stresses which may, after a period of vehicle use, lead to intermittent open circuits".

So if you run the test on the module with an intermittent open circuit when the circuit is not "open" of course it will pass.

The key here is that the defect expresses itself "after a period of vehicle use" (in my case 12,000 miles) and it is an intermittent mechanical connection issue, not a logic issue.

So bottom line is a bunch of folks are going to be making repeated trips for the "test" until they happen to run the test when the circuit is open. Of course you don't need a "test" if the circuit is open since your rear marker lights, left brake light and dash AC do not work when the circuit is "open".

All this to save replacing 12,300 modules all at once. My advice to owners who don't want this to happen on the road is to replace the module at your cost if it is in the recall range, then fight for coverage with FreightLiner.
Apparently (as explained to me) the "Load Test" not only identifies failed connections but also weak connections that may be susceptible to future failure due to various stress or vibration factors.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Recall covers production from November 23, 2015 to June 29, 2018. My "2018" chassis was built in July of 2017. Coach deliver October of 2017.
Not sure they even have that right my NA was built in March of 2018 and delivered in April of 2018. However, I guess Newmar must have already had the chassis in stock and was most likely built about the same time as yours
Old 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
Not sure they even have that right my NA was built in March of 2018 and delivered in April of 2018. However, I guess Newmar must have already had the chassis in stock and was most likely built about the same time as yours
All dates available for your VIN on FreightLiner web site.

Here are my dates:

Order Date 05/11/2017
Offline Date 07/12/2017
Delivery Date 08/22/2017
In Service Date 11/13/2017
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, this then makes me wonder if the VIN I have received from NM, is going to show up in recall. Why I ask, chassis are made way ahead of when NM or any coach manufacturer gets them into building/production. I wonder what lead time is. According to Customer Rep at NM, they tell me, no coach leaves plant with open recalls. So if the chassis on mine is in the target range, NM will replace this module before it leaves, (would be easier before they put a motorhome atop it-but that is my logic coming out). I will report on S/N of the PDM on unit I ordered when I take delivery. It should not be in that mix of VIN's affected, but, you just never know. TP and All, great information on this issue. I would take a bet, the failed connection was made in China, with suspect QA.

TP-Your coach came off line in July, and did not get to dealer until approximately 40 days later. You did not take delivery for 3 months later. If those numbers hold true, mine (supposed to be almost completed then to CQI building) wont be at dealer until end of July, boy that won't work, we have commitments all month of July, so that pushes out pickup to August, which we also have commitments for too. But maybe I am getting cart ahead of horse in this.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #61

More information on this recall. Gathered more information making the rounds on message boards where FreightLiner Service Centers are comparing notes. Here is what I have found. Remember this is the internet so I can't verify any of this.

The FreightLiner recall number is now FL788B. Apparently more failures than appeared in the original recall can result from the PCM's intermittent connections. Reports say at least one RV had an ignition circuit failure passing through the transmission. The transmission would not come on resulting in the inability to start the engine. The commenter also said that heat from the engine would seem to trigger the intermittent connection in the PCM. Several commenters saying the initial presentation for many RV's is a complaint about no dash AC.

Apparently the recall went active when Eaton Corporation (OEM source for the PCM) began shipping a custom made "PCM tester". Looks like this is a box developed to specifically deal with this recall. Based on several comments it appears this "PCM tester" is being shipped to FreightLiner Service Centers right now. Based on comments not all service centers have the tester.

Here is a image of the "PCM tester".

Old 05-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
Weird. Post 28 shows PDM and that P/N matches the fuse box. Who knows...
I’ll know for sure what was replaced on Wednesday

The box I took a picture of is what was replaced. A/C works! And lights too.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #63

We have had ours replaced twice. The first time we went to 3 Freightliner dealers that could not diagnose it because it was intermittent. Then in Portland the right break lights and turn signal was completely out. Four days of diagnosis and repair. Second time almost one year to the day the left turn light was completely out. Hope this is not a yearly event. Freightliner replaced it with no problem. The first time 2400.00 second time 1400.00 (we had the part number and recall with us.) Thank goodness under warranty.
tvsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #64
Rd1

Quote:
Apparently more failures than appeared in the original recall can result from the PCM's intermittent connections.

There are different issues involved with this problem. There had been a batch of bad pdm boxes, where the relay/fuses were loose. while driving the fuse/relays would start falling out of place and create all sort of exciting error messages on dash. one of those was comm error for the trans, among others. had one of those boxes last summer. After an hour of driving, there was one error after another. After inspecting the box, you could visually see some of them partially out of place.

The original problem was related to power source/supply to one or more relays where there was too much amp draw. That would cause the power to shut down. This power shut down would effect different items based on the coach wiring. combination of tail lights, tow lights and dash AC. We also tried replacing relays originally, which didn't help. For obvious reason, as the cause is somewhere else.

This original problem was first observed while driving in the rain, or after the coach was washed. The evidence, seemed to suggest an issue with the wiring harness. The moisture creating a short and too much amp draw, causing the relay to shut down. After almost a year, this problem became permanent, where after about a 30 min of park lights turned ON, the relay would shut down, same with dash AC. Even in dry condition.

I have a trailer in tow. Thats how I discovered the problem, as the trailer was pitch dark, with no lights. fccc originally would refuse to work on it, blaming the trailer wiring issue, causing too much amp draw.

After a few tries, was able to produce the problem without trailer in tow. Then fccc would blame the body builder/newmar for the problem.

So, eventually, they have tagged the pdm as the source of the problem.

However, knowing fccc well enough, I am a bit skeptical. The pdm circuit may very well be the cause. However, there is still the likelihood of an issue with the wiring harness for the tow feed.

After the new pdm was installed, in one occasion, I had the coach washed, followed by one hour drive with the trailer. During that time, the trailer brake controller was dysfunctional, indicating a short. This issue was evident with the original pdm, as well. This just makes me "wonder", if they took a short cut with the pdm, to just ignore the problem, to avoid shut down of the lights and AC. Replacing the pdm is a ~10 min job for a good mechanic. Dealing with a wiring harness, far more involved. Time will tell, as over the next few weeks, have plenty of driving and will see if this problem persists for the tow brakes during rain drive.

I have never had a toad. For those who do, do you have any kinda brake controller inside the coach to adjust or monitor the brakes on your toad, while driving?

I have a brake controller for the trailer, where I can adjust the elec brakes and monitor the brakes. can also see if there is a short and brakes are not functional on the trailer.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #65

Made some progress in understanding the issue. The problem is not with the Chassis Multiplexing Unit (PN A66-03087-000). The defect exists in Power Distribution Module (PN66-05172-001). This is the unit in the New Aire immediately aft of the red chassis electrical switch. The box contains fuse and relays controlling functions in the aft part of the chassis

I now have full FreightLine Recall Campaign Bulletin it appears there is a structured triage on the fate of these modules based on milage and time built. Reading between the lines it looks like they are trying test the connectivity of certain solder joints in the PDM non destructively to make a decision as to wether to replace the PDM or not. Nothing in the bulletin suggests that they are disassembling the PDM for inspection.

The PDM recall list 7 different part numbers of the PDM depending on chassis type. This appears to be a full recall meaning all 12,316 suspicious chassis will have to be tested whether they have problems or not. What they don't state is how to cover is the disposition of chassis with internmittent problems that pass the tester inspection.

This is an image of the PDM with the cover on:

Old 05-24-2019, 03:57 AM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will you post the full document?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #67
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the full document from DTNA Connect. Took a while to find it.

Thank you TurboPilot for starting this thread.

I do have power to my brake lights but the LED brake light strip on the lower left seems to be dimmer than the one on the right. Also there are about 1/4 of the LEDs on the center brake light bar that are not working.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FL788.pdf (364.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post

Thank you TurboPilot for starting this thread.
You're welcome.

Ok let's tease this recall apart. There are a bunch of moving pieces and not all of them make sense.

Scope: Specific (?) X-Line chassis made between November 23, 2015 and June 18, 2018. This includes 12,316 chassis. There is no definition of "specific" that I can find, so it appears that all production between these dates are "recalled" for evaluation and testing.

First you need to find the tag on your PDM and get the serial number. The tag is located on the forward end of the PDM right next to the red battery switch on the NA. Here is my tag from the original PDM.

Here are my coach's build dates.

Order Date 05/11/2017
Offline Date 07/12/2017
Delivery Date 08/22/2017
In Service Date 11/13/2017

My serial number is 17102921 on the original PDM. It appears the first two digits are the build year of the PDM.

What is done under this recall depends on the serial number of the PDM. Apparently all PDM's with a serial number greater than 18103500 are exempt from the recall. They just give you a sticker saying the recall is complete. I assume that all chassis built after June 18, 2018 have a PDM with a serial number higher than 18103500, so it is not clear why they have a sticker under this recall.

For reasons that I cannot understand any coach with a PDM serial number less than 18103500 and coach mileage less than 1,500 miles gets a new PDM. No further testing needed. No date of production stated. If you are under 1,500 miles you get a brand new PDM, period.

If the vehicle has greater than 1,500 miles and a PDM serial number less than 18103500, you get tested. They have developed a special test device for the just this recall. Word on the internet is that not all FreightLiner Service Centers have this device. So you are going to have to find a Service Center with the device to be tested to clear the recall.

The test involves measuring voltages at several locations on the PDM. If your device fails, you get a new PDM. If your device passes they give you a sticker and send you on your way. NO NEW PDM!!!!

This last part is what makes no sense. The original notice of this recall said:

[The defect in the recall was described as "internal circuit board may be inadvertently subject to bending stresses which may, after a period of vehicle use, lead to intermittent open circuits".

My PCM failed at 12,000 miles, but the recall is saying if you have more than 1,500 miles and you test ok, you do not get a new PDM. Apparently they want you to keep going until it does fail, then you get a new PDM.

For reference my new PDM, just installed, has a serial number of 19102333. That's the good news. The bad news is that they apparently put in a PDM with the wrong part number for my coach. The online FreightLiner web page for my coach says the PDM part number is A66-0517-001. As you can see above that is the part number on my old PDM. The new PDM just installed has a part number of A66-0517-000. FreightLiner Service Center said don't worry about it. Everything on the coach works, so far. The recall lists 7 different part numbers for the PDM including both my old and new part number. Tried to call FreightLiner but 24/7 line is currently just playing music.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #69

My interpretation is someone believes 1500 miles of vibration is sufficient to expose the weak connections and yield a positive test result. Sounds like the kind of decision a corporate risk analysis committee would put forth.

Remember their job is to mitigate risk. To the corporation.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #70

Update on my PDM replacement. *At this point I had lost left turn, the turn signals on my towed were very dim, and my dash AC was intermittent. *After providing the recall information to the Freightliner Oasis dealer they were able to find the information, they told me that the recall information had just been released. * The tech started on my PDM recall by telling me they had just received the tester from Freightliner and although another tech had done one test with it he had not. *So he started by reading the recall directions. The directions require the tech to inspect the serial number of the PDM, if it falls within the range; go to replacement, mine did not. *After reading the instructions he hooked up the tester which requires 12+ and a ground then you plug it into certain fuse slots on the PDM and push the test button. *They must read and document the results or the dealer won't get paid. *After an hour the tech documented that mine had indeed failed. The tech then replaced the PDM, basically its four mounting bolts and three heavy 12 volt+ power leads, put the cover on and the replacement is done. *He did turn off the chassis 12V switch but knew nothing about turning off the coach or inverter power, I had already done that. *So I caution everyone take this step yourself, especially if you have a truck technician working on your motorhome. *When you make an appointment tell the shop the recall number and save yourself some time. *After the replacement all systems seem to be working normally.

RVing and Diving this great country
rvdivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, recall, safety