Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Comfort Drive on the Spartan?

First, Newmar should be getting out in front of the specifications for the Spartan chassis and put some of the speculation to rest.
The following is a cut and paste from the Spartan Chassis Spec's for the Dutch Star in another post. From the sound of it Comfort Drive is included on the Spartan, however, the driver control of the Comfort Drive appears to be an option. Knowing how Newmar prices their options I would think that this might not actually be a cost neutral upgrade.
Again, I think that it is important that Newmar get out in front of issues like this and the questions starting to pop up on the axle ratings.
COMFORT DRIVE™ Steering Assist System w/
Optional Variable Driver’s Effort Control Feature
SMART Steering Wheel with Soft Touch

• Passive Steer Tag Axle
Side Mounted Service Center

• 15,000 lb Towing Capacity
• 3 Year / 50,000 Mile Warranty:
• 20 Year Transferrable Warranty on Frame & Cross Members
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

I noticed the Spartan has a 2 stage engine break vs FL had a 3 stage break in 2016 and likely will be 3 stage in 2017. Anybody with a 3 stage break any feedback on 3 vs 2 "nice to have or great feature I really like"
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
When I researched the difference between the FL chassis and the Spartan K3, as they applied to the London Aire I opted for the Spartan. The rails leave a bit more height in the bays, there's a bit more cut angle to the steering, the multiplex digital wiring reduces weight and aids in diagnostics and the rear steer doesn't lock out until 45mph in the Spartan. The center "STAR" chassis reinforcement is added by Newmar and is essentially the same.

Without checking, I'm guessing the DS is on the K2 chassis and I wouldn't assume any of those differences carry over, nor have I seen a response yet that suggests anyone here knows either. Bottom line, you've got more homework to do.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #18

SPARTAN 2 stage engine brake/ disc brakes all axles /10 degree passive steer/v-ride/and 55 wheel cut on 40 & 43 models
FL 3 stage engine brake/ drum brakes on rear axle disc brakes on front/ v-ride/ and 56 degree wheel cut on 40 foot and wheel cut 52 degree on 43 foot 12 degree passive steer
Austin Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #19

Foretravel Owners Club
I had a 2008 45’ American Coach Eagle on the Spartan K2 Chassis. I was surprised, or disappointed in the way the coach handled rough roads, specifically pot holes or concrete sections that didn’t align properly. It seemed as though the pounding was going to tear the coach apart. I’m primarily referring to the front axle. Is this the nature of these heavy coaches? Do you guys experience this with the Dutch Star? Any thoughts on which chassis would handle the rough roads better and provide a better smoother ride for the coach?

Jeff
JSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
MoHoGo, Newmar buys the chassis for a coach line in one configuration. Customers can not select chassis options. I am sure the Comfort Drive adjustment knob will be standard on the Dutch Star with either chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #21

Send a message via ICQ to drhines
Freightliner vs Spartan

Never had Spartan. On Freightliner beware of cooling fan drive and gearboxes and most important the steel brace that holds all in place. I have a 15 DS and have been in Freightliner for over a week now. Brace broke and driveshaft, gearbox and fan assembly went all over engine compartment tearing up everything it touched. Dealer told me Freightliner has a problem with this and they know about it and has not done anything to correct it. This shop has done 5 of these in the past year. Beware. This is my first and last Freightliner chassis.

Also you will lose mucho storage space in basement due to height of frame. Chassis drives great. Just as good as my Country Coach or Tiffin Allegro Bus.

Doug Hines
2015 Dutch Star 4369
drhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:23 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhines View Post
Brace broke and driveshaft, gearbox and fan assembly went all over engine compartment tearing up everything it touched.
Doug ... would you happen to have any pictures of this that you could post? Just want to know what to look for.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
The difference in front axle ratings can be due to tire size/ pressure designation, so be careful there when comparing one versus the other.

My experience is that the FL does indeed offer a bit less in basement storage height over Spartan. me? I like as much space as I can get.

I have a 3 stage engine brake on my Spartan K-2.... Would think that's a function of the engine config. Rather than the chassis mfr. But I reall do like the 3 vs 2 stage.....like In Goldilocks....one is too much, one too little, but that middle stage is just right!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 450 doesn't offer a 3 stage engine brake.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The 450 doesn't offer a 3 stage engine brake.

The difference in utility between a 2/3 stage engine brake is low. There are a couple of variations & I'm not sure which is being used. Some use the VG turbo for the first of three stages and then the other 2 stages are 3 cylinders and 6 cylinders as with the 2 stage brake. Other setups use a 2/4/6 cylinder retard as the 3 stages.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #26

The 2016 DS had a 3 stage brake, at least the switch on the left handle panel indicated 3 stages
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
The 2016 DS had a 3 stage brake, at least the switch on the left handle panel indicated 3 stages
When I asked Freightliner about this, I was told it activates 2,4, or 6 cylinders.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhines View Post
Never had Spartan. On Freightliner beware of cooling fan drive and gearboxes and most important the steel brace that holds all in place. I have a 15 DS and have been in Freightliner for over a week now. Brace broke and driveshaft, gearbox and fan assembly went all over engine compartment tearing up everything it touched. Dealer told me Freightliner has a problem with this and they know about it and has not done anything to correct it. This shop has done 5 of these in the past year. Beware. This is my first and last Freightliner chassis.

Also you will lose mucho storage space in basement due to height of frame. Chassis drives great. Just as good as my Country Coach or Tiffin Allegro Bus.

Doug Hines
2015 Dutch Star 4369

Wow!! Sorry this happened to you Doug. I hope it gets fixed soon.
I would think if this was wide-spread issue for Freightliner, you would see many posts about the issue, like the many posts of the Spartan leaking radiators that the Entegra owners have been discussing. Freightliner has been using the current belt drive configuration for many years (2009 or 2010??) and I haven't read many posts on IRV2 or other boards about problems.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis