Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Chassis solar

A couple weeks ago I finally decided to investigate the solar charging circuit. I was pretty sure it wasn't working (the LED did not illuminate) and the chassis battery continued to discharge when not on shore power. I had purchased a new panel some ago. The old panel certainly looked bad. The new one (from somewhere on the interweb), was somewhat larger, so it required a revised mounting system. It is larger both physically and wattage. Challenging, but not technically difficult. Once installed, the LED was still out and more to the point I detected no juice going to the batteries.

So, I pulled the dash panels to expose the octopus of wires. I did detect solar voltage on one connector and battery voltage on the other. That told me the indicator was bad. I could find nothing similar to the OEM indicator on the web, so I ordered one from Newmar. It is now some $33 delivered. One can find honest to goodness low amperage solar controllers fro less, but I decided to maintain the original appearance. The new indicator has heavier wires than the old one and the wires to the solar connector were “backwards” in terms of polarity. I did sufficient testing to confirm it wouldn’t work as wired, so I switched the wires in the solar connector. I will say that it is possible I miswired the new panel. I have no way of determining that now as the old panel sort of disintegrated. If the old panel was also miswired, then the LED would never illuminate and the batteries would never charge from the solar system. The PO always had the bus on shore power, so he couldn’t help. Anyway, it works now. I confirmed current flowing into the batteries and watched it fall off as a cloud obscured the sun.

I dissected the old indicator and found the diagram floating around this forum is not quite what Newmars have. In fact, I am not sure what is depicted by that diagram would actually work. I think the LED would stay illuminated whenever the sun it out and not necessarily when current is flowing to the battery. Here is a sketch of the system as installed on my bus. Note the negative wires are simply joined together inside the indicator box. I have asked a EE buddy of mine to explain why there are three diodes in series. I’ll add his explanation when available. I could find no fuses anywhere in the existing circuit, so I added one on each side. One for the solar panel and one for the batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf solar schematic.pdf (11.3 KB, 49 views)
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tbbg II,
As best I can tell, the light is to provide the owner a "warm fuzzy". My light went out. However, juice was still flowing to the chassis batteries. Could I leave well enough alone, heck no. I wanted the light to work. Went through what you went through. Quite a project for just wanting a red light to come on.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
tbbg II: The schematic you attached shows the LED in parallel with 3 normal diodes in series. Basically the LED starts glowing at approximately the same voltage as the voltage developed across the three diodes as current starts flowing through them. The current from the panel must go through either the LED or the diodes and into the battery, so when the LED is glowing the battery is definitely getting charge current. The reason why the 3 diodes in series are there is the solar panel can put out more current than the LED can handle, the diodes handle the excess current, but still puts it into the battery.

So GaryKD is right, the LED is really there to give you a "warm fuzzy" feeling. Unfortunately without the LED it is hard to tell whether current is flowing into the battery or not, it's definitely nice to have working.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You go to this PDF on pages 44-45 I believe and you will have info on the solar panel and LED.
Info found in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, solar