Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #1

Check Engine Light

Starting home from Charleston SC yesterday I got a "Check Engine "notification readout on my dash display along with the accompanying check engine icon that remains lit up....coach ran fine for the entire 300+ mile trip, shutting off the engine and restarting seems to have no effect on removing the notification ....is there any other way to determine what the problem is before calling the Cummins help line....I am over a 100 miles from the nearest Cummins shop, any help greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
resullivan ... two (2) suggestions: 1) you could call the Freightliner hot line and they can step you through a quick diagnostic check from the drivers seat to get the code that caused the engine light to come on ... or 2) I have heard others say that turning off the red master battery switch in the back battery compartment behind the DEF tank will reset the computer programming.

If it was me ... I would opt for calling the FL hot line.

Steve

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #3

Why would you not call?

The light is trying to tell you something.

If you just ignore it, you could be doing damage.

They put all of the warning lights in, to help, fix issues, not ignore, until they get worse.

If it's a yellow light, it usually means you can continue. A red light means STOP.

But a phone call would give me piece of mind.

My morning grouchy rant.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
resullivan ... did you ever find out what the issue was?

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #5

Not yet Steve....having to deal with some of my 93 year old fathers health problems, hope to get back to it in a couple of days....will post what the problem is/was....thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Update.....problem solved....had some time this am to look into check engine light issue, decided to do a complete engine area visual check before calling help line...while underneath PS of coach in the area of the radiator fan, I discovered a wire/connection to the fan controller had come apart, probably never snapped in place during assembly and eventually worked loose, plugged it back in, started engine, check engine light goes off, all is well that ends well ....FWIW, twinboat, I hope you had a better morning this am
Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

It's good that you found the problem.

Guessing the fan defaults to on, otherwise it could have overheated.

Had a better morning too.

We split full timing between our boat and MH. Boat broke down in east central FL., MH stored in west central FL., toad in FL. Keys. Now, implementing plan, to get them together.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"resullivan".....unless I missed something, you can arrow down the control panel on your dash to engine diagnostics. The diagnostics will give you the error code. The error is in Freightliner numbers (Language), not Cummins numbers (Language). The number will be something like SPN 681. You can call Freightliner at anytime and they'll tell you what the code means and if you should continue driving or seek repair.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #9

Thanks Don, I am still trying to figure out operation of the FL control panel.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

I have the exact same problem right now on a 2014 DS. Everything runs fine, normal temps changed fuel filters, topped off anti-freeze etc. Cummins could not get me in ( Albuquerque ) for 2 weeks so I was able to get in next week in St George Ut. They said it was Ok to Drive just get it in as soon as possible. Cummins said if I had no other symbols or lights it is probably a sensor.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

Thanks Don, with the eng light on I thought cummins would be the go to contact, but Freightliner was much more helpful, they walked me thru to the diagonostic procedure and it is a EGR software problem. The sensor is to sensitive and they will just reprogram it, problem solved! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Old 04-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"resullivan".....unless I missed something, you can arrow down the control panel on your dash to engine diagnostics. The diagnostics will give you the error code. The error is in Freightliner numbers (Language), not Cummins numbers (Language). The number will be something like SPN 681. You can call Freightliner at anytime and they'll tell you what the code means and if you should continue driving or seek repair.
Bob,

I had the identical problem as you are experiencing now. I pulled to the side of the road and did exactly as Don described. I called Freightliner, not Cummins, and over the telephone, the technician walked me through the control panel arrow sequence to identify the fault code. He looked up the code, which in my case, indicated a fuel filter issue. He further informed me it was still safe to drive, and I was on my way.
jigsup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Centerfire"......My check engine light illuminated on our first big trip. I checked the code and called Freightliner. It was an EGR over temp. I was told it would be fine to continue on my trip and have it checked when I got home. Being an anal twit, the light made me crazy. As we arrived home the light shut off. I wrote it off as a new engine glitch and did not take it in. Next big trip, I got the same light. This time I took it in and they supposedly cleaned the EGR (only 6K miles) and re-flashed the computer. This caused other codes to appear and after several hours talking to Cummins, they got it straightened out.

After this issue, I read a post where it was suggested to turn your key on and wait for your dash gauges to all sweep before starting. Starting the coach before they did that, often triggered codes because the computer didn't have a chance to run through all of it's diagnostics. This has worked great for me. On one occasion I brain farted and turn the key and started the coach before waiting for the gauges to sweep. Sure enough, the check engine light came on. It went off about a mile later.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light