Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Check engine lite intermittant,rough running

At the beach in California over last weeks really rough weather. Hard rain and strong winds. Engine was pointed out toward ocean and wind was coming from West. When I started engine to leave ck engine lt came on and engine ran really rough. Let warm up for several minutes, up to around 170 and started out on freeway. Went about 5 miles and engine was very rough. Started to pull off freeway and lite went out and engine smoothed out and ran perfectly all the way home. around 25 miles. My question is could the wind driven rain have gotten into the engine or fuel some way. I checked the fuel/ water filter and looked fine. drained about a quart of diesel and found no water. Will take in to mechanic tomorrow to read code for engine lite (which is now out). It sure acted like it was a fuel problem and was the first time in 7 years when the engine hasnt purred like a kitten. I should let you know it is a 2004 Cummins ISL 370 in a DSDP on Spartan . Any help appreciated... Thanks in advance.
Don
s.j.sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No water got into the engine, you can wash your engine. When was the last time you changed all your fuel filters? Maybe change them out and see if that helps out first. I am not sure if you filters were pluged up and the engine was running rough if that would make the engine light come on? Maybe, it was not running right. Good luck
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi s.j.sharks,
For me, I'd do nothing unless the problem continues. The OP mentions the problem disappeared after the engine and drive train got a few mile under their belt and most likely thoroughly warmed up.

Gut feel says there were extenuating weather circumstances that somehow affected the engine. Once the heat of the engine over came and eliminated the problem everything worked great.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Any chance enough moisture entered air cleaner opening to cause the initial problem?
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am thinking the plug wires got saturated and they were loosing current. Once the engine heat dried them enough they started working as advertised. How many miles and when was the last time they were changed. The air cleaner is also a good bet (like Ronnie said) the filter could have gotten saturated with water causing the air fuel mixture to be too rich, almost like running with the choke on...
Old 03-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kenyonman,
The OP mentioned he has a diesel engine.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all who responded. I think I will just wait and see if the problem presents itself again. Running great right now. We were sure in a very heavy rainstorm with high winds just prior to occurance so possibly water did have something to do with the problem. Its sunny and dry now so.....Thanks again... Don
s.j.sharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins isl 370