Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

Check your SKYLITE over the Shower

I was checking the sealant around the Shower Skylite when I noticed some cracks in the acrylic material. When I pushed on the pieces adjacent to the crack, I saw more cracks and pieces were about to fall out. I sent inside the shower and removed the liner piece of the skylite. I was absolutely amazed at the condition of the skylite. I could see all kind of cracks that were not visible from outside but certainly came right out when view from inside. The cracks were not limited to just one side or corner but all around. I would attach a picture of the cracks but I don't know how to do it.

I was not going to install the same type of skylite from Newmar but selected a skylite from Lowe's 24 in by 24 in at $88.00. It is an all aluminum construction frame with double dome acrylic layers and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Just the perfect outside dimensions which are 26 in by 26 same dimensions as Newmar Skylite.

I would recommend that you remove your inside skylite liner and see if you have any cracks because you see cracks better from inside than outside.

Gaetan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #2

Thanks for the tip. Can you post again after you installed the Lowes skylight and share if it went in as you expected or if anything special needed.
Ours is a 2005 and I replaced the sealant on ours last year. I gave it a quick check last week when up on roof but I better keep an eye on it if they are prone to age cracking.
Ken
Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

I will gladly post the pictures if someone tell me how to do it.

Gaetan
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #4

The picture mentioned in the first message has been uploaded to the Photos Sections/ It is titled as "Skylite cracked DSDP06".

I will post another picture after I installed the new Skylite tomorrow.

Gaetan
Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless Newmar is using different skylights I have not seen this before my 03 coach looks OK no cracks.
Just need new floating sealant around roof area.

Gaetan, Just click on picture to enlarge, than click on enlarged picture click properties, select all URL, copy and paste the window with mountains & stamp in your post message.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #6

This is the Skylite bought at Lowe's for $88.00. It is 24 by 24 in and fit perfectly where Newmar had their skylite. There was no cutting or any kind of fitting required. The shower skyline liner was put in its original location without any problems. The dome being white instead of the very dark color allows more light in the vanity/shower area which is welcome.

Here is the picture of the liner:

Gaetan
Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nice install, Gaetan! I would also think that the white of the dome will also help to reflect more heat... since the smoked plastic original one seems to get VERY hot in strong sun!

Question: On my unit, the skylight is really a two-piece affair: there's the outer dome, mounted to the roof AND a second piece mounted inside the coach. Did the new skylight come with both? Or did you re-use the original interior "dome"?

Nice job... and thanks for sharing your project with us!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #8

John,

The Newmar skylite which was screwed to the roof consisted of just one piece. However, just below the shower skylite you have the liner which is screwed to the ceiling and this liner has an opening in the center that is covered with a piece of clear plastic.

The new skylite come with an outside white dome and an inside clear dome made from acrylic. Once I had the skylite installed, I screwed the liner to the ceiling. I did not have to modify or remove the clear plastic from the liner. So I now have 3 layers between the inside and the outside.

Regards,

Gaetan
Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Nice install, Gaetan! I would also think that the white of the dome will also help to reflect more heat... since the smoked plastic original one seems to get VERY hot in strong sun!

Question: On my unit, the skylight is really a two-piece affair: there's the outer dome, mounted to the roof AND a second piece mounted inside the coach. Did the new skylight come with both? Or did you re-use the original interior "dome"?

Nice job... and thanks for sharing your project with us!
I believe I smell a new "how-to" video in the works.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Found the same issue on mine a few months back and replaced it. Thanks for the tip.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower