Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Check your step switch after service!

We are headed west from Nappanee and just as we turned onto I-80 near South Bend, a pickup pulled alongside and gestured that our step was out. Apparently, one of the techs at Newmar had turned the step switch on to keep it from cycling. Didn’t notice it at Camp Newmar. We apparently drove from the Service Center to Camp Newmar, and then to South Bend with it out. Fortunately, we didn’t clip anything with the step.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
We are headed west from Nappanee and just as we turned onto I-80 near South Bend, a pickup pulled alongside and gestured that our step was out. Apparently, one of the techs at Newmar had turned the step switch on to keep it from cycling. Didn’t notice it at Camp Newmar. We apparently drove from the Service Center to Camp Newmar, and then to South Bend with it out. Fortunately, we didn’t clip anything with the step.

TJ

Good advice, but shouldn’t the ignition switch over ride the wall switch?
Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Good advice, but shouldn’t the ignition switch over ride the wall switch?
Apparently not!

TJ
Old 06-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim.....You made need to check.....the ignition will always override the switches. It just may have been a glitch, but with the door closed, you should hear the step come in, once the ignition is turned to start.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jim.....You made need to check.....the ignition will always override the switches. It just may have been a glitch, but with the door closed, you should hear the step come in, once the ignition is turned to start.

That’s how mine works.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I'll "3" that, it should have come in via the ignition key.

Tom
Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - I'll "3" that, it should have come in via the ignition key.

Tom
X4
ONLY the " door open" switch can override the ignition signal to keep the steps out, with the engine running .

JMHO: You'll have to check all the functions of your step system, with particular attention to the door jam switch ( magnet ?) .
Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Obviously a problem; the step keeps coming out while underway. Returning to Camp Newmar. Called our MADP rep and he is setting up a repair on Monday. Short trip home. 🤨

TJ
Old 06-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
More ice cream!!!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After thinking about what work was done by Newmar at the Service Center, I have a strong suspicion about the nature of the problem. As part of sealing up some water leaks (which today's rainfall proved were not sealed), they installed a new pegboard because the original one was water-damaged.

I watched the tech install the new pegboard, using self-drilling metal screws right in the area of a wire harness that runs forward. I strongly suspect that he hit the wire harness with a screw and it is either shorting something out or routing unswitched power to the step controller.

They also removed the entire wet bay in order to caulk the leaks and that's adjacent to the fuse panel for the step controller. Could they have pinched or cut a wire there when removing or re-installing the wet bay components? Don't know. What I do know is that we didn't have a step problem before the coach was work on at the SC.

I've been a strong supporter of Newmar and felt that we received excellent treatment while in Nappanee. Experiencing the step problem after the techs worked on the coach, and finding that water still leaks into the passenger-side bays has shaken my confidence a bit. We'll see how this all works out before arriving at a final opinion.

TJ
Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
At least you found out now within reach of mothership. Did they check the wheel wells for water intrusion? That’s where mine was coming from.

I don’t think your step wires go through the pegboard. You can crawl under and trace them. Have you checked your fuses?
Old 06-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
X4
ONLY the " door open" switch can override the ignition signal to keep the steps out, with the engine running .

JMHO: You'll have to check all the functions of your step system, with particular attention to the door jam switch ( magnet ?) .
If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that the "steps stay out when door open and closes" switch" should ignore the ignition?
Even on my old coach the "Stay out" switch is over-ridden by the ignition. However on mine, if the steps are sucked in when the ignition switch is turned on, when the "stay out" switch is on, they don't open when the door is opened the next time . I put a clothes pin on the ignition to remind me that the "Stay out" switch is on so I switch it off before turning the ignition on.
I have no idea how the new coaches steps work but I bet the manual tells them.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Follow the steps for steps not working. First thing is the fuse which should be on the cord reel bay. Refer to fuse chart.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #14

I'm pretty sure he has power or they wouldn't be retracting before the weird extend. On the newer coaches are the step switches soft or hard switches (electronic or wired to something they control) - reason I ask, is it a reset thing?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, switch