Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Chunking my Sony radio,need replacment?

Any one out there in Newmar owners land know a CD/ Radio unit that will plug into the old Sony plug," factory wiring harness"? The CD player works but the AM/FM only makes a buzzing sound. Tried a new factory antena direct into the back of the unit with same results as the one on top of the RV. I think the Sony is a cdx5500 model"or something like that". I guess it was stock when the RV was built. Don't need any thing fancy just a player and radio that work and is easy to operate.
Mike

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee409 View Post
Any one out there in Newmar owners land know a CD/ Radio unit that will plug into the old Sony plug," factory wiring harness"? The CD player works but the AM/FM only makes a buzzing sound. Tried a new factory antena direct into the back of the unit with same results as the one on top of the RV. I think the Sony is a cdx5500 model"or something like that". I guess it was stock when the RV was built. Don't need any thing fancy just a player and radio that work and is easy to operate.
Mike
I doubt that you will find another new radio that will plug into the old Sony wiring harness, they are going to different. I replaced the Old Sony radio in my 2005 Airstream MH with a Pioneer. The person that installed matched up the wires from the old wiring harness to the wires in the new Pioneer wiring harness and connected them with inline connectors. In watching him do it it was fairly easy to match the wires up. As for easy to operate almost all of the new in dash radios to me are more complicated to operate.

Good luck
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mikee409, is you go to Best Buy, they have a good choice of radios and I think they install them for free, or a small charge. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had my OEM Sony fail a long time ago when all I could get was lots of noise and static on it so I replaced it with the same model. Well that one lasted less than 2 years and ended up with the same identical problem.

I finally went to an auto sound store and bought their newest model Sony which most if not all Sony's have the same connectors EXCEPT the remote hookup did not match exactly because most of the new ones now come with a handheld remote. So my wall mount remote in the bedroom works a little bit but the buttons are not correct so I really don't use the bedroom remote anymore.

The model I have now that I am very satisfied with is Sony CDX-GT640UI.

It wasn't that expensive.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

I too just got the latest high end Sony model to replace the old cassette deck model and the plugs were the same. Came with a wireless remote and was even able to reconnect the CD changer and wire the TV through the radio AUX just like the original.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Company called Crutchfield,, And another J.R. Music,, these are the #1 and #2 automotive radio places.. IF such a radio exists, or if an "Adapt-a-kit" exists one of them will have it.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Mike--

I've been through this also- ugh---

I finally got on to ebay and found several of the same model Sony's I had.

Here are two of the models you gave us in thread #1. Free shipping and one site sez they have 9 more- How can you go wrong? Another guy has one without a faceplate- $30- use your old faceplate.

I even sent my old one to Sony along with $75, plus shipping, because I was told to send it to their facility in Laredo, TX for an estimate for repairs. The answer I got about 3 weeks later was- "we don't have parts to repair it- It's too old".

I bought the same model radio I have now on Ebay, and now I even have two more operating spares in my bay- Just buy two or three more and when you receive them just plug them in and try 'em out- Most sellers will quarantee them to work. Keep them as spares.

I couldn't find anyone wanting to upgrade the my old radio and install new radio wiring for less than about $900.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I too had an old sony with a cassette. Bought a new sony with CD aux inputs and remote. Plugs were the same , and everything worked just fine
Patti Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #9

I had a Kenwood with remote installed in a Newmar 5th. Had a local sound dealer make the install. Used a sheet of black plastic for the mounting board. Works and looks great!!!
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks every one for the replys. Just ordered a new in the box Sony CDXGT640UI off ebay for $119.95 & free shipping. DR4film, I hope it plugs right in like yours. The remote is a non issue since the previous owners didn't leave any thing in the RV when they traded it it.
Mike

Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Update/ got it installed !

UPDATE! Got my radio installed Sunday. The Sony CDXGT640UI wiring pluged right into the OEM plug. Really nice upgrade, I can now play MP3's. Thanks Dr4film for the sony model #.
Mike

Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Enjoy your new Sony radio!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #13

I replaced the Sonny CDX-F5000 radio CD player primarily to gain blue tooth for phone. The radio/CD were working fine. This unit was also paired with the Sonny Compact Disc Changer CDX-75MX, It would not work with my new radio. I have both units with manuals and remote if anyone needs these for their own use, just pay shipping cost. PM me if interested.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio