Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Cig lighter bay star 3124 2017

Cig lighter / socket / plug in not working. Changed out the socket. Checked the fuse. Still nothing. Any ideas? Has worked before
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Is the socket making a proper ground? Can you measure 12VDC between the hot side (usually the center pin) and a good ground? It takes both a good ground and a good 12VDC supply to make it work.

Are you sure you checked the correct fuse? How did you check the fuse; VOM or replacement with a new fuse?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Is the socket making a proper ground? Can you measure 12VDC between the hot side (usually the center pin) and a good ground? It takes both a good ground and a good 12VDC supply to make it work.

Are you sure you checked the correct fuse? How did you check the fuse; VOM or replacement with a new fuse?

TJ

I haven't checked the ground. I did replace the fuse with a good fuse and still nothing.

Not sure what I would use there for a good ground.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the same problem when I took delivery of my 2015 Baystar. During warranty work service center replaced fuse under dash. No problem since.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
Cig lighter / socket / plug in not working. Changed out the socket. Checked the fuse. Still nothing. Any ideas? Has worked before

I had the same plug on the dash go out: It was a fuse under the dash on the right. We honk it was F3
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMY 1 View Post
I had the same plug on the dash go out: It was a fuse under the dash on the right. We honk it was F3

I think it was F3
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMY 1 View Post
my fuse box is located in the front engine compartment. I think #20 or 22, don't remember. Is there a separate fuse box under the dash?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

My 2017 3113 has two fuse panels under the dash to the left of the driver’s seat. The panel against the firewall is for Newmar wiring and the lighter fuse is on that panel. The panel on the left interior wall is for Ford wiring and fuses.

This is from Newmar’s owner’s guide:

“The Ford chassis fuse panel is located on the sidewall, left of the driver’s feet. This fuse panel supplies power to exterior lights, the tow plug, and the wipers. For exact details, see the Ford manual.
The Newmar fuse panel contains the chassis battery and ignition-powered fuses and is located on the firewall under the dash. This panel controls many of the components in the dash, the clearance/fog lights, and the engine compartment lights. The fuses for the dash blower, AC condenser, overhead fan, and power visor are also located in this panel.

Outside of the Coach
House battery and disconnect fuses are located under the hood of the coach. These fuses control the battery boost, battery disconnect, and entrance steps. In this same location, there are also 12 volt circuit breakers that provide power to the ignition, house fuse panel, inverter, and the power seats (if equipped).”

These photos show the Newmar fuse panel under my dash.

Ignore the notes in yellow - they document additional outlets I had added to my unit.

F1-F6 are always on. F7-F16 are only on if the ignition is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3161.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	180057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3164.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	180058  

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #9

Just went though his a month ago, same thing Cigar lighter out. Checked all the fuses they were OK. Ford Chassis book says Maxi fuse # 20 under hood cigar lighter and OBM plug. Well The OBM is OK but the lighter is out?

WAY up under dash is a MINI fuse in a inline fuse as soon as I see I could see it was blown. Seems Newmar does some wiring and there are no notes, drawing or schematics about it anywhere that I could find.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
Just went though his a month ago, same thing Cigar lighter out. Checked all the fuses they were OK. Ford Chassis book says Maxi fuse # 20 under hood cigar lighter and OBM plug. Well The OBM is OK but the lighter is out?

WAY up under dash is a MINI fuse in a inline fuse as soon as I see I could see it was blown. Seems Newmar does some wiring and there are no notes, drawing or schematics about it anywhere that I could find.

So there is a mini fuse located in line? I traced the blue and white wire as far as I could reach and felt nothing. How do you know if OBM is ok?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Pretty good at most things. Electricity is not one.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

This the back of the lighter socket.

The blue wire is hot and the white is ground. You should measure 12 volts between them. If the ground wire is bad you should still measure 12 volts between the blue wire and any ground point.

Your meter can be used to verify continuity of the blue and white wires.

You should be able to find something screwed into the firewall to use as a ground for testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2986.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	180085  

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light